Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 10:57 PM

259 posts, read 789,411 times

Advertisements

When I first moved to Memphis, Tennessee I thought I would see confederate flags everywhere. Can you say stereotype.
Well, I moved from Seattle WA. And believe me, I have seen more of those in Washington State then here. Is that weired?

Old 07-08-2008, 02:18 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
You know, I don't even see them much up here in NETN anymore. The occassional one will be flying in someone's yard (usually surrounded by old tires and broken down washing machines) or in the back of someone's pickup. But, thankfully, they seem to be going away...

Old 07-08-2008, 06:30 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,315,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktalley View Post
When I first moved to Memphis, Tennessee I thought I would see confederate flags everywhere. Can you say stereotype.
Well, I moved from Seattle WA. And believe me, I have seen more of those in Washington State then here. Is that weired?
You typically see that kind of thing in rural areas, not cities. Memphis is a city. The handful of white folks who still live there are generally well-educated and still have most of their teeth.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:12 AM

196 posts, read 692,653 times
Quote:

So, what would be interesting is to know why you had that impression of Memphis.

Had you been influenced by regional prejudice?
Perhaps the media?

You know that if there is national coverage of a tornado anywhere in the south they have to have a person with no teeth and unusual grammar to describe what happened.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:14 AM

104 posts, read 364,498 times
While driving to Memphis from NYC I passed through Virginia during a civil war re-enactment. I had heard about them but could not grasp the scope of the event. Even passing by on the road it was fascinating to see. Hundreds of people camped out recreating battles, horses, cannons, uniforms and all.

To that end I now can view the symbology as a source of heritage for some.

On the other hand there are those folks who still haven't realized the war is over. They are prpearing for the next offensive by stocking up on ammunition, guns, etc. To them it's not heritage, it's still going on.

Ex-Pat

Old 07-09-2008, 04:39 AM

88 posts, read 294,632 times
Have you ever heard of the Society for Creative Anachronism? They celebrate the middle ages in the same way, authentic costumes, armor, knights, jousting, the whole shebang. Except of course they use rattan swords instead of real ones when fighting. Nobody gets hurt very badly.

For a lot of people though the problems in the US began with the Civil War. My family calls it the War of Northern Aggression. It is undeniably when the federal government began asserting power over the state governments. It is when we lost the Republic as a form of government and a Federalism was born.

We lost the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution with that war. A lot of people are not pleased with that.

It's true that ending slavery is a good thing but the war wasn't about slavery. Note that Lincoln was a huge racist. He wanted to make interracial relationships illegal and he wanted to ship all blacks out of the country, first to Africa and when that was too expensive to Haiti.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzloolue View Post
So, what would be interesting is to know why you had that impression of Memphis.

Had you been influenced by regional prejudice?
Perhaps the media?

You know that if there is national coverage of a tornado anywhere in the south they have to have a person with no teeth and unusual grammar to describe what happened.

Yes, thats it. Like I said, stereotypes.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:26 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Being that Memphis is 80% black (or something like that), no I don't expect you would see many confederate flags.

Their is a General Bedford Forrest (founder of the KKK) Park in Memphis however, complete with statue.

Before it gets started - I've seen no less than half a dozen discussions in the political forum on displaying the confederate flag. They never turn out good.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Being that Memphis is 80% black (or something like that), no I don't expect you would see many confederate flags.

Their is a General Bedford Forrest (founder of the KKK) Park in Memphis however, complete with statue.

Before it gets started - I've seen no less than half a dozen discussions in the political forum on displaying the confederate flag. They never turn out good.

Well thats ok with me because I really like city-data were everybody can voice their opinions even if it offends people. I never take peoples criticism that serious and I rarely get offended but even so I still think it is ok. I would love to hear peoples true feelings about different issues. That also helps me understand people better.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:45 PM

I looked up this Bedford Forest person,
Was his KKK the same racist KKK we have today or was it different?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: