Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2008, 10:26 PM

6 posts, read 10,584 times

Advertisements

We are interested in moving to the Memphis area in the near future and are looking for some help locating a rental apartment, townhous or condo that is interracial couple friendly. We're a couple in our mid 40's (but VERY young at heart ), professional with no children at home. To top it off we have a six year old german shepherd mixed dog. He's mixed with rot. He favors the shepherd but has a cropped tail. Can anyone recommend properties or agents that can help us find a place? We're looking for a 2 bedroom in the rental range of approximately $900 - $1100. We are relocating from Chicago where we lived in the heart of the city near the lake. Also, our preference is to live someplace near downtown or Germantown or even the MS/TN state line.
Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give us.
***** Oh yah, the dog weighs about 115 lbs.

Last edited by eclecticlk; 07-12-2008 at 10:27 PM.. Reason: additional information added
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 10:17 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times
Downtown...or near Germantown???? That's quite a difference! What exactly are you looking for? Downtown is young feel, lots of condos, bars, restaurants, etc. Germantown is old money, families, large homes with large yards, high end shopping, etc.

You might have a hard time finding a rental that will allow a dog of that size. Especially something that is part rotweiler (not sure).

You don't want to purchase a home? That would make things easier. Downtown does not have a lot of rentals, mainly condos to purchase. Germantown does not have a lot of rentals either, mainly homes to purchase.

As for the MS state line - no way. Maybe you are meaning something different, but anything right at the TN-MS state line is in the ghetto, for the most part. And again, it's completely opposite of Germantown or downtown.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:20 PM

9 posts, read 20,965 times
I'm also looking for a rental in Memphis that will take a large dog. I have a rottweiler, and I've found that there are only two apartments in Memphis that will take him (Fielder Square downtown and Belle Harbour on Mud Island) at least according to my recent apartments.com search.

I've had much better luck searching craigslist and memphisflyer.com for private rental houses - plus that would give my dog a yard, which would make us all happier

Of course, I haven't found a place yet, so I can't say my luck is great ;/ Fingers crossed.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:24 PM

91 posts, read 303,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclecticlk View Post
We are interested in moving to the Memphis area in the near future and are looking for some help locating a rental apartment, townhous or condo that is interracial couple friendly. We're a couple in our mid 40's (but VERY young at heart ), professional with no children at home. To top it off we have a six year old german shepherd mixed dog. He's mixed with rot. He favors the shepherd but has a cropped tail. Can anyone recommend properties or agents that can help us find a place? We're looking for a 2 bedroom in the rental range of approximately $900 - $1100. We are relocating from Chicago where we lived in the heart of the city near the lake. Also, our preference is to live someplace near downtown or Germantown or even the MS/TN state line.
Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give us.
***** Oh yah, the dog weighs about 115 lbs.
If you are able to find a rental company that will allow your dog, they generally charge more rent and request an additional deposit. If it is a dog of a vicious nature, they will tell you to get insurance for it. This answer is based on my experience with rental companies in Southaven, Olive Branch, Germantown, Memphis and Horn Lake. You would fair better by going online to the local newspaper in the area that you will be moving to and find a private owner who is okay with you having pets.

Last edited by Jadastwin; 07-22-2008 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: add more info

Old 07-28-2008, 06:25 AM

165 posts, read 600,622 times
What color is your dog?

Old 07-28-2008, 08:19 AM

6 posts, read 21,953 times
Default Moving to memphis

I sent you a direct message that may be helpful....

Old 07-29-2008, 11:49 AM

234 posts, read 1,062,597 times
I would recommend Midtown. You'll be able to find a small house rental in that price range that will allow dogs. Look in the Memphis Flyer classifieds. As for the inter-racial aspect of your family, you will feel welcome in Memphis. Pretty much every neighborhood has a sense of diversity, unlike segregated Chicago. Enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: