Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 06:06 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times

Advertisements

There is a Memphis rideshare parking lot at Poplar and Central, which is very near U of M. (Memphis State=Univ. of Memphis)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 07:09 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,490 times
Post Sorry..........

Still can't get used to the U of Memphis name..............always be Memphis State to me!

Old 07-27-2008, 08:10 PM

6 posts, read 37,345 times
thank for the information. Your help really helps me in undergoing this transition =) As a 20 year old college student female, i feel scared about moving there but also excited at the same time. Thank again for everything.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:35 PM

2 posts, read 1,127 times
Hi, I plan to go to Memphis this coming August 2017 - mid-week - for one week. When in Memphis, to get immersed a bit of city action, I intend to take public buses all the time. The tips I'm reading here are back in 2008. Are there changes or improvement now in terms of safety and reliability? What is the safer area if I want to be within downtown? Are there buses that go to Graceland? Thank you so much.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:45 AM

737 posts, read 1,916,494 times
I don't think there is any difference in the bus system - I would not use it or rely on it to get me places. If you plan on doing a lot of traveling around the city, your best bet would be to rent a car or use a cab/Uber. Most tourist sites are close by, the only far off ones are Graceland, maybe Stax.

Old 02-20-2017, 12:31 PM

139 posts, read 311,131 times
Memphis transit still stinks, reliability wise. As far as, safety well if sitting on a nearly empty bus is considered dangerous than yes. But seriously, there should not be any safety issues. Yes, you can ride a bus to Graceland (42, 46), actually that is one of the few routes that I have seen some passengers on the bus.

Memphis buses are entirely schedule based, meaning there is no just going up to a bus stop with the idea that a bus will be coming soon. Buses run VERY infrequently, especially the 46. Download schedules for the 42 and 46 and see if it would be worth your while. The Memphis system is called MATA.

Old 02-20-2017, 12:34 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,397,529 times
Downtown is a small enough area that you should be able to walk anywhere if you are not mobility impaired. Graceland is much further though. I honestly don't think it's worth the hassle and expense of getting out there without a car unless you are a diehard Elvis fan.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:06 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
Some of the hotels have a Graceland shuttle. I'd stick to downtown, take a Graceland shuttle, and then rent a car for one day to explore out to midtown, east Memphis or wherever else.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:32 PM

2 posts, read 1,127 times
Thanks to all the replies. I just thought that to know the city, do what locals do: take the bus, walk to stores, etc. There's an apartment called Lauderdale Courts that rents to visitors. As per their website, it looks really nice. Does it really? Is it a safe area. Is the area frequented by buses? Thanks again everyone.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:38 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
Out of the locals who take the bus, most of them have no other choice: they can't afford a car/gas/insurance. In Memphis, most of the folks who are able to, at all, elect to drive their own car around the city. There are a few folks who decide to use the busses for environmental/civic reasons, but not many. Just FYI.

Lauderdale Courts is not in the worst place, but it's on the edge of downtown and not in a very attractive area. I think you'd have a much better time and get a much better picture of Memphis if you stayed somewhere closer to downtown. Either in Court Square or nearby (e.g. Hotel Napoleon). Not sure if this is within your budget, or not.

The Downtown - South Main corridor is one of the main pedestrian experiences in Memphis, so definitely concentrate there. Could be worth your time to stay in a hotel/airbnb in the Midtown area too, around Overton Square or Cooper-Young, maybe for 1 or 2 nights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: