U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 12:26 AM

117 posts, read 462,066 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am planning on relocating to TN this year and would like some extra info. I have read thru the threads and the main agreement seems to be that collierville is the best suburb to live, that or germantown. Safety is a huge issue for me since I am single and want to feel safe. I am a suburbs kind of gal. I am an RN and am looking to getting a position at St. Jude's childrens hospital. Has anyone heard what the work enviroment is like there? Is this anywhere near collierville? Or if you think there is another area safer. I would be renting apt/condo or house. I appreciate any info on this (yes, I have read the threads about crime/schools/annexing etc ). Thanks again!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 12:40 PM

39 posts, read 278,532 times
I am a former St. Jude employee and I must say I loved every minute of it. The only reason I left was that there was no room for advancement in the department I worked for. Of course, the work environment depends a lot on who your direct supervisor is, but overall, it is an excellent place to work. The benefits are great and their is great pride in being a part of an organization that's doing such wonderful things in the lives of children. As far as where to live, I would also have to agree that Germantown and Collierville are excellent choices if you don't mind the commute. One other area you might want to consider that is really close to St. Jude is Mud Island. There are really nice homes and apartments there but they can be a little pricey.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:03 PM

Thanks big apple. I will look into that as well. Are you still in the medical field? I was also wanting to know if there are any ecellent oncology/cancer centers/hospitals in TN. I am not quite sure where I want to be. Going back and forth between Suburbian Memphis or middle/eastern TN. I currently am an oncology nurse and would love to keep doing this, but would venture into childrens oncology as well (thus the interest in St. Judes). This is a really personal question if you know the answer, what is the average hourly rate of nurses at St. judes or any other hospital? (feel free to PM me if anyone knows this answer) Have you heard anything? The other important issue is safety. Crime happens everywhere. It would be nice to be in an area where the crime rate is low. Sounds like Memphis is very high in crime. Is Mud Island a seperate town or an area within Memphis. How is it there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-24-2007, 05:55 PM

1 posts, read 9,362 times
I have lived in Memphis for five years. I was really concerned when I moved to Memphis about crime but I felt safest on Mud Island. Up until a year ago I lived in an apartment on Mud Island (I got married and moved into my husband's house). Most of my single friends live on Mud Island. I always felt safe and never had any problems. The island (which isn't really an island but actually a small peninsula right off of the downtown area) is extremely close to both St. Judes and LeBohner Childrens Hospital. There is a really nice park along the water that is perfect for walking and has a steady stream of activity - younger folks, families, etc. There is a small grocery store with a great deli on the island, a dry cleaners, a movie rental and pizza place, and a few other small businesses. You pay a little bit of a premium to have shops close by but I usually felt it was worth it. Otherwise, shopping can be an issue at times but you quickly adapt.

Another (more urban area) to look at after Mud Island would be some of the loft condos on South Main (downtown). I think you will like Mud Island better but you should at least check this area out. It is quickly becoming the hip place to be.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-24-2007, 06:58 PM

Thank you very much! I will definitely check Mud Island out and the lofts when I visit. This helps a lot!

Old 12-11-2007, 12:45 PM

309 posts, read 843,951 times
Default Moving to TN and need info

St Jude is downtown. You would do well to look at places within 20 minutes of work. You can hop on the interstate and go to the burbs or look for something closer like Mud Island which is right near the river. If you have kids there is a Montessori school right there in the community. Good luck.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:20 PM

9 posts, read 69,729 times
[url=http://www.state.tn.us/humanserv/]Tennessee Department of Human Services[/url]
Shelby County Portal (http://www.shelbycountytn.gov/appmanager/scexternal/content?_nfpb=true&_nfls=false&_pageLabel=home - broken link)

Old 02-10-2008, 09:52 PM

70 posts, read 288,214 times
Healthcare is the number 1 industry in Memphis, with many places of employment for an RN, including St. Jude, the Med, St. Francis, Baptist, and Methodist Healthcare systems. The West Clinic offers oncology care in multiple locations (East Memphis, Midtown, Collierville... in the Memphis area). There are also local agencies, if you would consider doing agency work. The Med is the level 1 trauma center, and Baptist and Methodist have locations both in the city and in Collierville and Germantown respectively. If you are currently working in pediatrics and would like to continue to do so, then Methodist in Germantown would be the closest hospital to the suburbs to offer pediatric care. Lebonheur also has an outpatient surgery center in East Memphis, which wouldn't be too far if you live in the suburbs. Baptist has a women's hospital near I-240 and Walnut Grove, if you are interested in working in maternal child health or NICU.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 7,912 times
Hi...I live in Collierville, TN. and am a nurse as well!! Cost wise, you'll get better housing cheaper in Collierville; it's a slow paced, sweet, friendly town with its own beautiful old Town Square. St. Jude is such a positive place to work and the people I know who are employed there LOVE it! Safety wise..stay out of Memphis for housing!! Germantown and Collierville have virtually no crime. You will need to travel further to work, but Interstates connect well, esp. between Collierville and St. Jude. Good luck!

Last edited by HRHdaQUEEN; 03-22-2008 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: I just noticed you live in MN...I'm looking to move to the suburbs of Rochester...want new home. Any suggestions?

Old 02-20-2011, 07:02 PM

1 posts, read 4,370 times
Grandson is in/out patient of Lebonheur. His medical needs have his parents looking at move to area closest to Lebonheur.
However, this will mean income adjusted or lowest rate possible. The father will be seeking employment in area also, so will take abit of time to get on feet financially.
Also have a small daughter, so safety for the four of them(at any given hour) is a issue.

Any insight that can be shared will be appreciated.

Thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis