U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2008, 11:09 AM

5 posts, read 10,399 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am a retired Navy Chief Petty Officer moving from Maine to Memphis in September. I was stationed in Millington for awhile in the 90's and have been back to Memphis to visit several times over the past ten years. (I am originally from Baton Rouge and spent half my military career in and around the South). I have always enjoyed my time in Memphis. I know it has it's share of issues but my fiance and I will make the best of what it offers. I have recently purchased a house in the Riverwood Farms area of Cordova and we are looking forward to getting settled in. (Any information on the Riverwood Farms nieghborhood would be appreciated).
My biggest concern right now is finding some temporary work until I can secure a permanent job. Anyone know where I could find something quick in the $10 and up range. My job in the Navy was Air Traffic Control but I have experience in construction, shipping, warehouse and manufacturing. (These seemed to be the only jobs available in Maine for retired military) Also if anyone can give advice on what is the most reasonable and reliable wireless internet provider in the Cordova area that would also be very helpful. (Any advice on any topic would be much appreciated).
Thank You
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 01:16 PM

196 posts, read 658,300 times
Check usa jobs for anything at the USDA cotton division.
It is not far from your home and there are quite a few retired military folks working there.

Old 07-27-2008, 01:49 PM

30 posts, read 179,214 times
Believe it or not I just closed on a property on July 11. The buyers were from Maine and he was retiring from the Navy in Sept.! Is everyone stationed in Maine? My buyers are going to live nearby in Bradyville, TN. They were a great couple to work with. I used to live about an hour from Memphis and I think it is a great city! I know you will love it. Unfortunately, I don't know much about employment in that area anymore. I haven't lived there in 18 years.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:19 PM

1,277 posts, read 4,679,360 times
Have you thought about someplace like Lowes or Home Depot? With your experience in construction and warehousing, that would seem like a good match. You'll be close to one Home Depot and about midway between two Lowes stores.

Any reason in particular you want wireless internet as opposed to cable or dsl? I live in a small subdivision adjacent to Riverwood, and have used Comcast broadband for years. Wireless is quite a bit more expensive and not as quick, unless you really need that type of connection.

Moderator cut: link cut

Last edited by mbmouse; 07-29-2008 at 07:07 AM..

Old 07-27-2008, 06:22 PM

14,470 posts, read 18,259,346 times
Maybe it's because you said air traffic control, but I immediately thought Fed Ex, although it's not exactly close to you.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:47 AM

5 posts, read 10,399 times
Thank you everyone for your inputs. Though not the wisest thing to move somewhere new without employment, it is unfortunately the nature of the beast in alot of cases. I am fortunate enough to have some income with my retirement, but it will only go so far with a mortage to pay and rent in Maine. (Fiance will be staying in Maine until she finishes her job this winter.)
Are there any temp agencies that anyone could recommend? Once again, thanks and any advice on my future move will be appreciated.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:59 AM

64 posts, read 79,142 times
With your experience...perhaps

Northwest Airlines
Memphis Shelby Airport Authority
Swift Transportation
Smith and Nephew
Cleo Wrap(?)
Memphis based TSA/Customs, FEDEX CUSTOMS DIV
International Paper Operations Shipping DIV

also I forgot the main one the BNSF Intermodal facility...was near Lamar and Shelby Drive

Last edited by MemphisMonkeyMane; 07-28-2008 at 10:25 AM..

Old 07-30-2008, 05:51 PM

252 posts, read 674,224 times
I moved from southern Maine to Memphis five and a half years ago. I have a love/hate thing for Memphis. If Maine winters weren't so long and if Maine wasn't so expensive, I would probably move back. Our plan is to live in TN for eight months and Maine in the summer when we retire. That's a long way off, though.

I haven't had any luck with temporary agencies here.

There are a lot of federal government jobs in Memphis. I think there's a website called usajobs.gov or something like that. Check that out. If you need any other information about moving from Maine to Memphis, let me know.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,398 times
Stay away from Memephis. It is a cesspool of crime and poverty. I got out, and you should stay away!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>