Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2007, 03:39 PM

15 posts, read 74,218 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering a position at St. Jude's and we may be moving to the Memphis area. We are looking to spend between $250000 and $300000 for 4 bedrooms and 2.5 baths. I will send the kids (one going into 7th grade and in gifted programs, one only 3 yrs old) to private school, if necessary and if the public school aren't up to snuff in either place, but would prefer not to have to. My main concern is where each community is likely to be in 10 years. I worry about the redrawn school districts and annexation of surrounding areas.

Also, my parents will be relocating to be near us. They want to be within about 15 minutes of us in C'ville or G'town. They want to spend between $150000 and $185000 for a 3/2 1600 sf ranch house. Safety and proximity to us are of primary concern. They were also interested in Olive Branch.

Thanks for any feedback!

Old 02-04-2007, 10:27 PM

13 posts, read 93,812 times
I'd say Collierville. I attended Schilling Farms Middle School and Collierville High School. Shelby County Schools are some of the best in western TN.

The housing in Collierville is less upscale than that of Germantown, so if you want more bang for your buck, head to Cville. (My parents bought a 4300 sq. ft home for 320,000)

Old 02-05-2007, 09:46 AM

2 posts, read 18,672 times
Default Stay away from Piperton!!!

Collierville and Germantown are both alright. Collierville is perhaps a little more laid back with more of a small town atmosphere.
As a word of warning though, I would strongly urge you to stay out of the city limits (that's a joke because there is no "city") of Piperton which is adjacent to Colleirville and is located on Hwys. 72E AND 57E. This town is notorious for being a speed trap and their "officers" will use any excuse to stop you and write a ticket for a ridiculous amount for any and all minor infractions. They have speed limits of 45 mph extending out both of the aforementioned federal highways into areas where there is no reason for a 45 mph speed limit other than to set up speed traps.
Check it out for yourself. Mike Fleming on WREC AM-600 radio and others in local media often blast this insignificant little fake town for this very thing.
There ougt to be a law against Piperton, Tennessee!!

Last edited by setachctub; 02-05-2007 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-12-2007, 09:26 PM

25 posts, read 202,810 times
Try Germantown. In fact, there is a house for sale in my neighborhood that just happens to be across the street from two families who employed by St. Jude's. It is listed by Germantown Properties and is on Bekah. I may not have spelled the street name correctly. It is in the Riverdale School district which was named as the best elementary & middle school by Memphis Parent's Magazine and received straight "A's" for years on the state report cards.

Old 02-24-2007, 12:39 AM

79 posts, read 422,861 times
If you like suburban living, you can't go wrong with either Germantown or Collierville. Just make sure you buy a house inside the city limits of either city or inside their annexation reserve areas. Collierville has a huge annexation reserve area, so although you may be buying a home in extreme southeast Shelby County that is outside Collierville's town limits, you most likely are still within their annexation reserve, which means Memphis can not get to you.

As for Olive Branch, I would avoid it. The housing stock being built there is very cookie cutter and there is a vast amount of suburban sprawl going on. Traffic is a nightmare down there. That whole area will be trending downward in 10-15 years. The Memphis area is known for throwing away entire areas of town. They will be next. Collierville and Germantown are very stable and will remain that way for decades to come.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 7,198 times
Default Funny You Would Mention That

I drove to South East Memphis in February to scope out some real estate. My partner and I are building a Lawn Mower manufacturing facility. After the warm welcome we received from the Piperton Police Dept., we realized the cost to our drivers and our own harassment factor made it a poor choice. We just purchased our land in Corinth MS. You people need to realize that an anti-driver policy, such as yours, will eventually kill your town (if you actually have a town, that is).

Quote:
Originally Posted by setachctub View Post
Collierville and Germantown are both alright. Collierville is perhaps a little more laid back with more of a small town atmosphere.
As a word of warning though, I would strongly urge you to stay out of the city limits (that's a joke because there is no "city") of Piperton which is adjacent to Colleirville and is located on Hwys. 72E AND 57E. This town is notorious for being a speed trap and their "officers" will use any excuse to stop you and write a ticket for a ridiculous amount for any and all minor infractions. They have speed limits of 45 mph extending out both of the aforementioned federal highways into areas where there is no reason for a 45 mph speed limit other than to set up speed traps.
Check it out for yourself. Mike Fleming on WREC AM-600 radio and others in local media often blast this insignificant little fake town for this very thing.
There ougt to be a law against Piperton, Tennessee!!

Old 08-24-2010, 07:42 PM

1 posts, read 5,404 times
FYI.. Collierville homes are WAY outdated... if you like shag carpet and formica counter tops.. thats where you should look... and I forgot about the 250k price tag!

Oh nevermind.. we want our little towns to stay little so lets keep pumping the people into C'ville and G'town!

You can't go wrong with either one

Old 08-24-2010, 09:20 PM

738 posts, read 2,575,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taserquest View Post
FYI.. Collierville homes are WAY outdated... if you like shag carpet and formica counter tops.. thats where you should look... and I forgot about the 250k price tag!

Oh nevermind.. we want our little towns to stay little so lets keep pumping the people into C'ville and G'town!

You can't go wrong with either one
You've got to be kidding me! there are a ton of newer houses in C'ville!

Ditto, you can't go wrong. Where are you moving from?

Old 08-24-2010, 09:44 PM

29 posts, read 96,204 times
They're both pretty much the same. Can't go wrong with either really, but C'ville does have a "boonies" part. You'll know it when you see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis