Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2008, 09:05 PM

2 posts, read 10,236 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
Looking for a reasonable modern, ranch home, hopefully between midtown (where i am now) and east memphis, where my kids go to school. (White Station middle). Low profile, deep roof overhangs, etc. I've seen some great ones around white station, but am wondering if there is a neighborhood where these type homes predominate, that I might be overlooking. Unfortunately my price range only goes to around 140,000, but I am just starting to look, and i don't know if this is even reasonable. a fixer upper is not out of the question.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 08:43 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times
I don't think that price is reasonable for a home between midtown and White Station. Unless you get a very small home, or a home in a not-so-safe area.

Check the strees directly south of Poplar, like where the Old Navy, Starbucks, Buffalo Wild Wings, etc are. I don't know if they fit your bill, but those are okay neighborhoods, they look well taken care of, but they are also smaller. I'm sure the prices go up the closer the streets get to Central and Chickasaw.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:50 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,635 times
Most of the houses in the Joffre neighborhood (the one mentioned by Pearlbob) south of Poplar are bungalows or Craftsman style houses. Same with East Buntyn, Buntyn-Messick, and Normal. You're not really going to find many neighborhoods consisting of ranch-style houses until you get out to the White Station area. Have you looked around Sea Isle? The area right around Sea Isle Elementary mostly consists of exactly what you've mentioned. $140k sounds a little low for that neighborhood, but you might be able to pull something off.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:07 AM

2 posts, read 10,236 times
Thanks for the input. I realize the price is low, and i will probably have to offer more. I am familiar with the High Point area, but I haven't thought about Sea Isle. Good suggestion. I guess I was thinking that ranch homes may not be that popular now, and the current sellers may not know how nice they can be with some minor alterations. I'll probably just have to stumble on one, after much searching. Maybe someone interested in selling a house that fits the bill will see this thread.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:50 PM

16 posts, read 69,340 times
If you go up a little higher on your price, every now and then a mid-century style house will also pop up for sale in the Walnut Grove Lake area. I know it's out East further than you were looking, but it's hard to find this kind of architecture in the Memphis area, period... much less in a safe area in your price range. The Walnut Grove Lake area also has some supercool "Seattle-style" modern homes that have a mid-century vibe, but technically aren't.

Also (with a higher price) there are random mid-century homes sprinkled throughout Poplar Estates, near the Poplar and Kirby intersection.

Good luck in your search!

Old 09-21-2008, 07:32 PM

3 posts, read 10,127 times
Check out leonora drive. There are many moderne houses on that street!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fess View Post
hello all,
looking for a reasonable modern, ranch home, hopefully between midtown (where i am now) and east memphis, where my kids go to school. (white station middle). Low profile, deep roof overhangs, etc. I've seen some great ones around white station, but am wondering if there is a neighborhood where these type homes predominate, that i might be overlooking. Unfortunately my price range only goes to around 140,000, but i am just starting to look, and i don't know if this is even reasonable. A fixer upper is not out of the question.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: