Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 03:14 AM

79 posts, read 422,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking4JC
To not bash Memphis would be to lie. I am not going to mislead someone saying that Memphis is great. If the city was such a safe place to live in, then DeSoto County, MS, and surrounding counties in TN would not be seeing such an increase in their communities.
People are moving out of Memphis and Shelby County and into DeSoto County for a number of reasons. Here is a list of reasons why people are moving away (whether they want to admit it or not):

1. To move away from blacks
2. To move away from Memphis' dysfunctional politics and politicians
3. To move away from higher property taxes
4. To move away from higher crime rates
5. To move away from Memphis' poor school system
6. To move away from older neighborhoods and into newer homes

As someone who lives in Memphis, let me respond to the above list:

1. If you don't like living near or having much contact with blacks, then you probably would not want to live in most areas of the city of Memphis. Downtown, Midtown and East Memphis are the only white areas of the city left. The rest of the city is heavily black, with Cordova moving in that direction. The problem for residents of northern DeSoto County who moved across the state line to escape the blacks is that blacks from Shelby County are starting to slowly move into DeSoto County as well. Plus, a lot of blacks from Whitehaven, Parkway Village and Hickory Hill shop and eat at restaurants in Horn Lake, Southaven and Olive Branch. I suppose, the next stop for those escaping blacks will be Hernando or Tate County. Enjoy the commute!
2. I'll grant you this one. Mayor Herenton has turned into a joke and for the good of the city he needs to retire. He needs to go. There is just a general culture of corruption and incompetence among those in local and state government from Memphis. Several black Memphis Democrats were recently indicted for taking bribes.
3. There is no doubt that Memphis has high property taxes compared to DeSoto County. But, DeSoto County residents don't want to admit that their very high car tag fees and state income tax almost offset the lower property taxes. It is almost a wash.
4. There is no doubt that Memphis has high crime rates compared to DeSoto County. Is this a shocker? Memphis, generally speaking, is urban, black and poor. DeSoto County, generally speaking, is suburban, white and middle to upper middle class. Is it really a surprise that DeSoto County has lower crime? Now again, the DeSoto County people don't want you to know that they actually do have crime and their crime rates are rising. Horn Lake, Southaven and Olive Branch actually are very close to some of Memphis' worst areas. In fact, they are closer to them than I am in East Memphis. The criminal activity is bleeding over more and more into DeSoto County from Memphis and it will only get worse. One other thing people need to realize is that not all of the city is crime ridden. Yes, parts of the city are as bad as Detroit (South Memphis, North Memphis, etc), but others have crime rates similar to those of Germantown or Collierville (areas of East Memphis).
5. No doubt, this is also true. Memphis City Schools are terrible. They are roughly 90% black. A majority of the kids in the system are eligible for the free lunch program. The system has a 40% dropout rate. Unless you can get your kid into White Station or maybe Ridgeway, you probably will have to put them into one of the good private schools in the city or county. That is where most of the well-off residents of the city put their kids. From everything I hear, DeSoto County schools are very good.
6. I suppose this is what a lot of people want- newer homes. DeSoto County has a ton of those. I personally like an older home in a real neighborhood where there are sidewalks, mature trees and houses that don't all look the same. But, now it seems as though people instead desire a cookie-cutter house that looks exactly the same as most of the homes in the "subdivision" (usually the front of the home consists of a garage door, driveway and one window), where there are no neighborhood shops or restaurants, just big box retailers and chain restaurants. There are no quant neighborhood side streets, just massive 9-lane arterial roads clogged with bumper-to-bumper traffic. Be ready to move in 5-8 years because it will be too crowded, conjested, non-white, etc. We live in a throwaway society and just as Hickory Hill and Cordova have been thrown away, the same will happen to Horn Lake and Southaven before you know it.

Old 07-17-2006, 06:49 PM

25 posts, read 202,794 times
Default West Memphis Smells

Quote:
Originally Posted by missthesun
Can anybody offer any advice about West Memphis or Marion? I have kids. I'm looking for decent schools.
West Memphis smells bad. No kidding, they call it gumbo mud and when the river is low, it really really stinks. I can't describe the smell but it is worse than Kingsport (Kodak-Eastman plant). Maybe further into Marion, you will be far enough away from the river not to smell it. But go visit during the summer droughts and smell for yourself.

Old 07-18-2006, 07:58 AM

38 posts, read 233,027 times
Default okay so where........

Okay, where would you reccommend then? I have two small children, one going into 1st grade. We can't afford private school. I'd been looking at Olive Branch but it sounds like it is getting too big. We need to be within 1/2 hour of germantown.

I hear all of the things about where not to live, or where to live and send your kids to private schools, how about some, where to live answers with good public schools within 1/2 hour of Germantown!! The trick is I can't spend more than 175,000 on a house. So Germantown and colliersville are pretty much out!

I would love the homey town, with side walks etc...... it's what I've grown up with.

Basically I am so confused and I'm moving in about a month and I've no idea where to go. We'd decided on Olive Branch, now I'm not so sure. HELP!!

Jamie

Last edited by jriecke; 07-18-2006 at 08:37 AM..

Old 07-18-2006, 10:15 AM

810 posts, read 3,305,300 times
Check out the Bartlett area ~ use the search function and look for other threads. Good luck!

Old 07-18-2006, 10:59 AM

113 posts, read 529,548 times
Olive Branch is fine, Bartlett is fine, Lakeland is fine. Those 3 have plenty of housing in your range. Don't let people scare you.

Old 07-18-2006, 11:03 AM

38 posts, read 233,027 times
Thanks Michelle, I'm gonna hafta just go with my gut on this one and stick with Olive Branch!

Jamie

Old 07-28-2006, 12:53 PM

774 posts, read 2,581,759 times
I'm a life-long citizen of Memphis (39 years)- city proper, not the suburbs. You can find good places to live within and outside of the city limits, although the city school system is abysmal with the test scores and school takeovers to prove it. Even if in the county school district, I'd utilize private schools if at all possible.

If it weren't for the St. Jude opportunity, I'd warn you off of Memphis but St. Jude is a wonderful group of people doing wonderful things. The crime here is atrocious; local government is terribly corrupt and the racial tensions are growing.

As for where the "rich" live - they're spread out a good bit. To correct another poster, Steven Segal doesn't live in Memphis at all, though it was a big rumor. Old Money tends to live in the Gallaway area near The University of Memphis in east-mid-town Memphis. New money tends to go toward Germantown and Collierville. The pro basketball players live in various areas - Southwind, Germantown, Collierville, Gallaway. With the crime as it is, I truly think you're as safe in-town as you are in the suburbs, if not safer. You'd also be closer to St. Jude. Granted, Memphis police presence is not as it should be, but crime is tending to follow those who are fleeing to the eastern part of the county.

I wish you well in finding a suitable home in Memphis. The Memphis I grew up loving is no more and we are looking to move elsewhere, but I do hold out hope for the city that with better leadership, it will return to the beautiful city it once was.

Old 08-01-2006, 12:02 PM

4 posts, read 22,122 times
Smile Bedroom Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexivoje
I have a very good job prospect at St.Jude's Hospital (research position) which is hard to resist given the reputation of the hospital. However, we are (paticularly my wife) very concenred about quality of life in Memphis (crime wheather, etc) is there any place you can live (suburb) that provides good quality of life and is not touched by problems in Memphis itself. We have two young daughters 5 and 3 and obviously look for decent schools

Btw, where do rich people of Memphis live?

Any suggestion would greatly help our dilemma.

Thanks a bunch.
St. Jude's Hospital is one of the Best Research Hospitals in the world!! The Memphis area supports St. Jude's in many ways.
However I have to be honest about the city itself. I have lived in the small bedroom community of Marion, AR for 26 years and my family has lived here for many generations. Memphis is not a place to raise a family. Public Schools are Poor Quality and Dangerous!! Memphis city politics are rediculous and I believe Memphis just had its 102nd Murder of the year!! Need I Say More. Marion Arkansas is only a short 10min drive to Downtown Memphis and St. Jude. The commute to Memphis is easy and shopping is not bad. Our Public School System ranks among the top in the state as well as the country. Our small town just under 10,000 is growning and people all over the country are flocking to Marion to capitalize on the low property taxes, great public schools and commuting ease to the big city of Memphis. Real Estate is Booming!! There are many new subdivisions with all the amminities. As for your question of "Where do all the rich people live?". Marion Arkansas has a median house hold income of around $58000 which is well above the national adverage. There is alot of money in Marion but the people are genuine, friendly and display that well know southern hospitality. Marion Arkansas is a small farming community that is now home to large developments such as Hino (Toyota) and many other Big Name Corporations.
I believe Marion would be a great place to raise your family and would also be very close to your new place of business.
I would be happy to send you any information on our community as well as real estate information.
Hope to see you in our community soon,

KPT

Old 08-01-2006, 12:21 PM

4 posts, read 22,122 times
Smile Cozy Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriecke
Okay, where would you reccommend then? I have two small children, one going into 1st grade. We can't afford private school. I'd been looking at Olive Branch but it sounds like it is getting too big. We need to be within 1/2 hour of germantown.

I hear all of the things about where not to live, or where to live and send your kids to private schools, how about some, where to live answers with good public schools within 1/2 hour of Germantown!! The trick is I can't spend more than 175,000 on a house. So Germantown and colliersville are pretty much out!

I would love the homey town, with side walks etc...... it's what I've grown up with.

Basically I am so confused and I'm moving in about a month and I've no idea where to go. We'd decided on Olive Branch, now I'm not so sure. HELP!!

Jamie

The place you are looking for is Marion, AR. We are a short 10 min drive to downtown Memphis. We have wonderful public schools, low to no crime, side walk, new subdivisions, kids on bicycles and southern hospitality. You can easily find a new home for under $175000. I have lived in Marion most of my life and this little town of less than 10,000 has alot to offer especially if you have children. Sports, Christian Activities, Summer Programs and A Safe Community.
Olive Branch is over populated and crime is pouring over from Memphis. Save yourself but most of all Your Kids. Its a nice place to go and shop but that's all. I love the thought of not locking my doors and sitting on my back porch and all i hear is children playing, the wind and birds. Marion has alot to offer and is in prime location for those who work in Memphis & Germantown. If you would like any more info on our cozy community or housing I would be happy to help you with that. I am in Real Estate and my family has lived in Marion for many generations. I feel confortable telling you Marion is a great place for a family.

Hope to see you in our community soon,
KPT

Old 08-01-2006, 07:15 PM

2 posts, read 12,066 times
Default I would not move to Memphis proper!!

My wife and 2 sisters-in-law were robbed 2 blocks from Beale St. right in front of our apartment and we live in an upper scale apt. (if anyone thinks I am Memphis bashing I have the court dockets to prove it) I am not a racist, but if you have any problem with afro-americans..DO NOT MOVE TO MEMPHIS!!We have done extensive research in the area, We like the Tipton county area Munford, Atoka, and Brighton for the schools, we are empty nesters so Fayette county appeals to us as well. Shelby county taxes are astronomical! I agree with JMS Tiger on difference in MS and TN being a wash as far as taxes are concerned.We have over 100+ hours invested in searching the areas around Memphis and are actively looking to buy a house, If I can be of further assistance please feel free to e-mail me at d_barrois@yahoo.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis