Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 04:33 PM

88 posts, read 293,683 times

Advertisements

My son just got his BS in Information Technology. Neither of us can find a place looking for an entry level programmer. The lad can program in C# and VB.NET. He has no experience so he's a beginner but a company wouldn't have to pay him much at all.

Anybody know of someone that wants an entry level computer programmer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 06:10 PM
bjh

59,900 posts, read 30,241,242 times
good luck in this economy. has he considered the military? just a thought

Old 11-25-2008, 07:38 AM

754 posts, read 2,807,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikBrooks View Post
My son just got his BS in Information Technology. Neither of us can find a place looking for an entry level programmer. The lad can program in C# and VB.NET. He has no experience so he's a beginner but a company wouldn't have to pay him much at all.

Anybody know of someone that wants an entry level computer programmer?
There's a pretty healthy demand for those skills down here in Jacksonville, FL. Not so much in Memphis. That's one reason I no longer live up there, despite the fact that I still consider Memphis "home" (and my family still lives there). I'm in I.T., and the job market in Memphis for our line of work is pretty anemic.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:32 AM

It's not that bad for an experienced programmer. It's not great though. My family is all in this area, none in Memphis but all around it. I came back a couple of years ago and had to consult for a couple of years before finding a permanent job but eventually I found one.

All he needs is that first job so he can say he has experience. Once he has a year or two he'll be able to easily find a job around here. There's lots of work for junior programmers, just not much for entry level.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:03 PM

369 posts, read 1,229,460 times
I'm with your son. I just graduated with a B.S. in Business Administration and still have not found anything. Many of my friends that I graduated with are the same boat and have not found anything as well. Its truly sad. Many companies are not hiring now because of the economy. If they do hire they want someone with experience, which is something I don't have either. I'm thinking about going back to school and hopefully it will get better.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:38 AM

It's also the time of year. Nobody hires in December.

Still, it's an age old problem. Everyone wants experience so how do you get it?

You have to be in the right place at the right time. You have to keep on trying. You have to knock on every door and keep on knocking. One day you'll knock on a door and they'll say, "Oh, you are JUST what we need."

Old 12-15-2008, 07:32 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,442,435 times
This is why i went to nursing school. No problem finding a job. You can live anywhere you want and make a decent living. Good luck to your son. One poster did offer a valid solution. A few years in the service will give him some valued experience and a sense of teamwork.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:11 AM

104 posts, read 362,918 times
As an old programmer my advice is this: programming will be difficult to break into, especially now since the gap between what you learn in college, and what happens in the workplace is fairly wide.

My suggestion, move to a major IT area and keep knocking on doors to get in. This may mean the northeast, Atlanta, TX, Colorado Springs or CA. Not only will he/she get to travel, but the job prospects are much better.

Also, DO NOT try to get into IT through a call center job, chances are good you'll get stuck there. Consulting also is a way to get valuable experience, don't overlook that.

Ex-Pat

Old 12-17-2008, 08:34 AM

754 posts, read 2,807,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikBrooks View Post
It's not that bad for an experienced programmer. It's not great though. My family is all in this area, none in Memphis but all around it. I came back a couple of years ago and had to consult for a couple of years before finding a permanent job but eventually I found one.

All he needs is that first job so he can say he has experience. Once he has a year or two he'll be able to easily find a job around here. There's lots of work for junior programmers, just not much for entry level.
Rik,

You wouldn't, by chance, be the same Rik Brooks that used to write for Powerbuilder Developers Journal and authored "PFC Programmer's Reference Manual", would you? If so, then it is a pleasure to meet your acquaintance! I have that book in my collection, since I've been doing PB work since 1996 (though I do mostly Java now).

If you're a different Rik Brooks...well, it still is a pleasure to meet you!

Old 12-19-2008, 01:33 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,288,880 times
Try DC. If you really want to help your son advice him to move out of Memphis. DC federal government is always hiring. Memphis does not attract high paying companies/corporation so those with degrees are big fishes in a very small pond of water. He need to move ASAP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: