Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2008, 02:27 PM

38 posts, read 200,150 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I need your help with a few suggestions.

My wife and I finally managed to get a few days off from work and we were thinking about going somewhere for 5-6 days. Here's what we're looking for:

1. We want to leave on Monday, the 29th after 6pm (or on Tuesday morning) and come back on Sunday, the 4th.

2. no more than a 10 hour drive - I would love to fly but I don't want to spend $1000 on plane tickets, it seems like such a waste. I was thinking about going to Vegas, but it's 550 a piece just to fly there. Same thing with Miami, all the popular destinations. If we fly a week later, it's half the price, I will just not make the rich richer.

3. We want to be able to do something while being there. I mean not go clubbing or drinking until we pass out, just to be able to enjoy our time off. We were thinking about a ski resort (we don't ski but we could go tubing or something) or I really don't know. New Orleans would be nice, but I don't think there's enough to do there for 5 days, we could save it for the Spring for an extended weekend.

Please give me a few ideas, I don't know what to do, we don't have much time left and we need to make a decision. The budget is not the problem, but like I said, I will not pay so much to fly just because it's the holidays. THANK YOU!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 02:46 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,378,224 times
I think there is plenty to do in New Orleans for 5 days, unless you've been there before and don't want to re-do what you've seen before. Maybe go to NOLA for a couple days, then stay on the beach on the gulf for a couple? It's not swimming weather of course, but it's still pretty.

Atlanta is about 6 hours away. You could visit Chattanooga for a few days, or Nashville, then move on to Atlanta.

St. Louis is about 4 hours, but there isn't much else around St. Louis.

Chicago is about 9 hours away. But who wants to visit Chicago in the dead of winter?? There is enough to do there to keep you occupied for weeks though.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:41 PM

774 posts, read 2,582,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannnnny29 View Post
Hey guys, I need your help with a few suggestions.

My wife and I finally managed to get a few days off from work and we were thinking about going somewhere for 5-6 days. Here's what we're looking for:

1. We want to leave on Monday, the 29th after 6pm (or on Tuesday morning) and come back on Sunday, the 4th.

2. no more than a 10 hour drive - I would love to fly but I don't want to spend $1000 on plane tickets, it seems like such a waste. I was thinking about going to Vegas, but it's 550 a piece just to fly there. Same thing with Miami, all the popular destinations. If we fly a week later, it's half the price, I will just not make the rich richer.

3. We want to be able to do something while being there. I mean not go clubbing or drinking until we pass out, just to be able to enjoy our time off. We were thinking about a ski resort (we don't ski but we could go tubing or something) or I really don't know. New Orleans would be nice, but I don't think there's enough to do there for 5 days, we could save it for the Spring for an extended weekend.

Please give me a few ideas, I don't know what to do, we don't have much time left and we need to make a decision. The budget is not the problem, but like I said, I will not pay so much to fly just because it's the holidays. THANK YOU!!!
I'd go with the Smokies. It's a 6-7 hour drive up there and as the least traveled time of the year, it's perfect for a trip. Winter hikes are unreal and there are ski resorts at Gatlinburg (Ober Gatlinburg) and Cataloochee on the Maggie Valley side. The wildlife are easy to spot this time of year. It's really the most beautiful time of year to visit - quiet, peaceful and wide-open. Sledding up in the park at this time of the year is a blast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis