Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 11:23 PM

18 posts, read 59,199 times

Advertisements

So I recently moved to Memphis, prob about two and a half months ago, to attend U. Memphis. I don't know many people here, but I know a few. I have an opportunity to leave for Arizona and want to leave because of the overwhelming amount of racism/ignorance and crime that I have seen. Does anyone have anything good to say about Memphis? Or will it just get worse? I don't know if I have really seen what this city is all about, but I could use a little input from the people that have actually lived here for quite a while. Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 11:00 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,375,811 times
What kinds of problems are you having?

Btw I sent you a DM.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:36 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
If you're an undergrad my best advice is to get involved. You'll make lots of friends that way. You'll probably even make friends in your classes. The UofM seems big, but once you get to know people, it feels like a small school. I love it.

And about the city of Memphis. It has as much to offer as any other major city. You just have to have a good group of ppl to go out with.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:06 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,374,704 times
Yes it gets better. Any city is what you make of it. I imagine I could find just as many things in Arizona that I hated. Try to make the best out of any city you live in, and you will get back what you put in.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:04 PM

264 posts, read 1,151,187 times
The UofM is a fantastic school. If your really focused on the school, Memphis is great. As for the state of the city, it looks grim. The longer you stay, the more youll like it. The bad things stand out, you got to dig around to find the good things. Most people dont stick around long enough to discover the good things about Memphis. If your only planning on staying for school, its fine, otherwise I wouldnt settle down in Memphis at the moment. As said before, ultimately, it is what you make it.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:08 PM

29 posts, read 82,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN-rox View Post
The UofM is a fantastic school. If your really focused on the school, Memphis is great. As for the state of the city, it looks grim. The longer you stay, the more youll like it. The bad things stand out, you got to dig around to find the good things. Most people dont stick around long enough to discover the good things about Memphis. If your only planning on staying for school, its fine, otherwise I wouldnt settle down in Memphis at the moment. As said before, ultimately, it is what you make it.

Please tell me what's good about Memphis. Been here 29 years and the best two things about this city is the weather and the amount of house (and land) you can get for your money.

There's not much recreational activities here. I really hate our city council vetoed the pyramid becoming an indoor amusement park.

To the OP, I would consider moving to Arizona. You'll be right next to Nevada, Cali then Hawaii!

Old 01-13-2009, 06:16 AM

774 posts, read 2,582,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juju!1946 View Post
Please tell me what's good about Memphis. Been here 29 years and the best two things about this city is the weather and the amount of house (and land) you can get for your money.

There's not much recreational activities here. I really hate our city council vetoed the pyramid becoming an indoor amusement park.

To the OP, I would consider moving to Arizona. You'll be right next to Nevada, Cali then Hawaii!

You must mean the weather in the winter, as the summer weather is nothing to write home about.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:42 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,374,704 times
Exactly, I would say the weather is one of the worst things about this city. In the summer it's unbearable to even step outside, and in the winter you spend two months being scared about nonexistant ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergal View Post
You must mean the weather in the winter, as the summer weather is nothing to write home about.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:14 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juju!1946 View Post

Arizona is close to Hawaii? huh?? Following that logic, I guess you could say that Memphis is close to Bermuda.

There are MANY nice things about Memphis. As others have said, much depends on your attitude and what you actually do to contribute to the community.

Memphis has a ton of places to catch live music, good food, drinks, dance, see movies, and just hang out. It's got some nice museums, galleries, and a great little zoo, one of only four in the country with panda bears.

It sounds like the OP needs to get out and see the city, make friends, and get involved.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:38 AM

104 posts, read 364,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Exactly, I would say the weather is one of the worst things about this city. In the summer it's unbearable to even step outside, and in the winter you spend two months being scared about nonexistant ice
It beats the h-ell out of Baton Rouge (and New Orleans), which are muggy and warm 3/4 of the year. As much as I love NO, it feels (and smells) like living in a sweaty gym sock most of the year and especially in summer.

Ex-Pat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis