Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 09:07 PM

774 posts, read 2,582,538 times

Advertisements

[quote=4My2Boys;7001334]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN-rox View Post

I wont take it the wrong way.. any suggestion is appriciated..
Middle/High School in Colliverville/Germentown area are good but I still think private schools like Briarcrest is better in every way for MS/HS even if Briarcrest is not a high end private school like say MUS.

My dilemma is should I start them now at private school or can I wait 2/3 years.
I think I definately dont want to wait until they get to middle school. I think they will have more problem fitting in when I move them later. By 2nd Grade, kids dont pick on each other that much yet and they are still kids and they can make friends easily. It will be more difficult as they get older. Any thought?
If I start them now at private then they will have no problem fitting in at Briarcrest since they have bible study at day care and they will know the prayer and bible verses.
But if they start going to public school, they might forget all the bible study and they will find it difficult to pick them up again once I move them back to private. It will be worse if I wait until they get to middle school.. By then they will know any bible study at all..

may be I can move them to private school like MUS when they get to High school.. but I cant affort to start them at those high end private schools starting Kindergarten.
Just a heads up - the Bible and religion classes in private schools are far, far more involved at the elementary and high school levels than what they are experiencing in preschool and kindergarten. It moves well beyond recitation into diving into scripture and doctrine. I think you may not fully realize the depth of religious exposure that Christian schools provide. I'm a product of Christian school and my child goes to one. We're practicing Christians, so we're perfectly fine by it, but it goes well beyond the reciting of prayers and saying of memory verses. Christian doctrine permeates every area of the school experience.

I'm not trying to turn you off of Christian schools, but just know that for a non-Christian, an evangelical school would be a difficult fit. You need to ask yourself if it'll be a problem for you if your child converts to Christianity as the near-constant exposure to it may, indeed, lead to conversion.
Good luck with your decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 01:55 PM

738 posts, read 2,575,955 times
I am in Collierville, and I have been very happy at our public elementary school. If I were you I would save the money until middle school, which is not as great. Please also remember $8000 is the base tuition, and it is going up to $9000 this year, (K-1 only, it gets more expensive after that) you have to pay that all upfront by November, AND there are fees that can add up to 2K more for books, etc.

I agree with previous posters that Briarcrest is a good choice, but I am just not sure it's necessary so young, unless you have a lot of disposable income. In this economy, you really have to make sure you are ready for that commitment.

I have heard excellent things about Tara Oaks.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:44 AM

7 posts, read 17,390 times
Thanks for all the replies. I went to Briarcrest preview day past weekend and had a chance to talk to teachers and seen the new building they are building for elementary and middle school. They offer a lot of after school programs as well. I think I like the school.

Most of my co-worker kids go to Tera-Oaks and they are happy with school too. The only thing is you can not pick teacher in public school. I want to be able to pick
I havent been to Tera-Oaks yet.. I will schedule to tour the facility and meet with principle and see how it goes.. Thanks again for all the replies.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:49 AM

27 posts, read 79,049 times
I do not recommend Briarcrest, ECS or Harding Academy for the following reasons:
The academics are just not there.
You are really paying to get your children away from the public schools by sending them to these private schools.
They will force Christianity into the curriculum--sometimes distorting education to fit the context of religious belief.
I honestly think that Tara Oaks will be fine. Currently I am teaching in the Shelby County School district and I think that the academics for elementary standards are quite proficient and education is what you make out of it. Usually when a child is having problems with their studies, there is a direct correlation with the amount of time the parents spend with the child. More time=better grades. Less time=lower grades.

I think that putting your children in a private school setting for Middle School and High School is a great idea. Some fantastic schools would be St. George's, CBHS, and MUS. These schools are great academically challenging schools and they also have a higher diversity rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis