Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 11:59 AM

865 posts, read 2,431,265 times

Advertisements

We've been looking at TN for a place to move to, once we're back in the States. I've noticed that I can find all kinds of planned communities in TN, but I haven't found anything like that in Memphis. I don't know if it's b/c the realtor's websites don't list amenities, or if it's b/c they don't exist.

We're not necessarily looking for another Westhaven (Franklin, TN), but a subdivision that has at least a community pool, and maybe walking trails/sidewalks. Thanks! So far my search efforts haven't uncovered anything like that in Memphis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 01:07 PM

264 posts, read 1,151,089 times
There is a very nice subdivision going up in Millington, just north of Memphis. Its called Thornhill Estates, it hasnt built any new houses recently, I think its switching hands, but there will be a lake with trails, pool, gym/clubhouse. All that good stuff. Its on Southern properties website or google thornhill estates. Hope that helps...

Old 01-28-2009, 01:16 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,999,807 times
There are communities with walking trails, etc., around the various suburbs, but the swim/tennis type of amenities never caught on around here like they did in places like Atlanta. Community pools are going to be hard to find. I understand from friends outside Atlanta that they aren't as many of those being built there as there used to be....probably because of the expense of upkeep and insurance.

Riverwood Farms in Cordova is one with a 2.5 mile walking/running/biking path around a 35 acre lake. I know there are others as well, but that's the only one that comes to mind right now (since I live a couple of blocks from it)

Old 01-28-2009, 01:23 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,373,861 times
It's funny that you mention it; you're right, we don't have those here. I see them on TV shows in other cities all the time though. Maybe because the city hasn't spread out into the suburbs as much as in other areas and therefore there isn't as much room to build something like that (because we're right on the corner of MS/TN/AR)? Maybe because builders know that if they build a pool, you'll have 50,000 families trying to use it, even if they don't live there

Old 01-28-2009, 01:48 PM

With our Africa-hot summers you'd think they would have caught on here. The idea of having the use of a pool without having to do the upkeep sounds great. The issue my friends had with theirs (they moved) was that the pool stayed full of kids playing like kids do - loud and energetic. Not exactly like relaxing at your own private pool, but probably not a problem if you're the one with the kids. Also, unless you live very close to the pool, you still have to throw all your "stuff" into the car, drive to the pool, unload it all, etc. Once the novelty wore off, they almost never went to the pool - and lots of their friends in Atlanta had the same experience.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:05 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,313,166 times
Harbor Town is a nice master planned community. It doesn't have a community pool, though, as far as I know.

Cordova the Town is a master planned community. Yuck.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:15 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,337,852 times
Are there any Home-owner Associations? Talk about suburban "blech"-ness (effort at a Mad Magazine reference).

Old 01-28-2009, 02:54 PM

865 posts, read 2,431,265 times
Thanks everyone, I'll check out some of the mentioned areas. It really is a shame that those communities don't exist here, b/c it sure is nice to have access to a pool/tennis etc, but not to have the upkeep for it. Not to mention that having a pool also takes up half the yard.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:11 PM

774 posts, read 2,581,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfurman View Post
We've been looking at TN for a place to move to, once we're back in the States. I've noticed that I can find all kinds of planned communities in TN, but I haven't found anything like that in Memphis. I don't know if it's b/c the realtor's websites don't list amenities, or if it's b/c they don't exist.

We're not necessarily looking for another Westhaven (Franklin, TN), but a subdivision that has at least a community pool, and maybe walking trails/sidewalks. Thanks! So far my search efforts haven't uncovered anything like that in Memphis.
In Bartlett, there is a neighborhood which has its own community pool (only for the members of that neighborhood) and, I think, tennis courts. It's Country Club Estates. The last time I drove through there were some houses for sale there. It's not a new subdivision - probably 25 years old and the houses are in the $200K range. It's off of Bartlett Boulevard and Elmore, I think.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:23 PM

I forgot about that one! Here's the website for their HOA www.countryclubestates.org - Country Club Estates Homeowner Association. $220 per year HOA fee for pool upkeep is dirt cheap! My HOA fee is $165 per year, and we don't have a pool...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis