Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 12:51 AM

10 posts, read 11,394 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I recently moved from SE New Mexico to Memphis. I thought I was prepared for the change in culture, environment and social atmosphere. Flash forward I am at my workplace and have had multiple times coworkers engage me with their deep rooted beliefs about firearms, immigration, religion, etc. I have seen ladies stop in front of doors expecting them to be opened, refusing to say hello first, insisting on being called something other than simply "Jane or John". How does one acclimate to the culture here? Am I the only one who has recognized this?

Thanks!

Maris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 01:05 AM

227 posts, read 195,437 times
1. Next time a co-worker tries to involve you in one of those conversations, just say: "I don't want to discuss (xtopic) at work." Or you can wear a Hilary 2016 pin. They'll definitely know where you stand then.

2. Are you a guy? Because if you are, just open the door. It won't hurt anyone. If you're a woman, there's not much you can do about that.

3. Refusing to say hello first? You need to give context.

4. Call them what they want to be called by.

The phrase "when in Rome..." comes to mind. Not saying that you have to suddenly take up deer hunting, but doing the simple things won't hurt.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:18 AM

10 posts, read 11,394 times
1. I am not a Hillary fan but their subjects get into areas which I just don't feel comfortable speaking about.

2. I am a male. I do open the door but balance it in an acceptable manner. My spouse does not even expect this level of treatment.

3. Walking down the hall, eye contact and a sny hello by the other coworker. (Multiple times / same coworker)

4. I find it highly awkward referring to coworkers as Mr. Ms.

I fully understand the "when in Rome" phrase. I have to mention that Rome didn't turn out so well in the end. It seems as if there is a expected level of professionalism / etiquette / or manners that exceeds anything I have ever seen slighted towards one gender.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:19 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,586,374 times
The south can be very traditional - but folks don't normally expect outsiders to be exactly like them. You don't have to change your behavior beyond being respectful and feel free to give them the benefits of your opinion. They usually will deal with it.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:26 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,184,726 times
You moved to a southern city and are surprised that many women still expect men to open doors? I don't think you were as prepared as you thought you were, lol. Using first names varies a bit, but is usually considered to be pretty informal. If your co-workers are quite a bit older or higher up on the food chain than you are it's a sign of respect to address them with a title. Older women are almost always Mrs Soandso or Miss Mary, Miss Jane, never just a plain first name. It's kinda like calling your mom by her first name instead of calling her mom, it's just a little too forward, not respectful.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:26 PM

4,884 posts, read 5,021,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazingabove View Post
1. I am not a Hillary fan but their subjects get into areas which I just don't feel comfortable speaking about.

2. I am a male. I do open the door but balance it in an acceptable manner. My spouse does not even expect this level of treatment.

3. Walking down the hall, eye contact and a sny hello by the other coworker. (Multiple times / same coworker)

4. I find it highly awkward referring to coworkers as Mr. Ms.

I fully understand the "when in Rome" phrase. I have to mention that Rome didn't turn out so well in the end. It seems as if there is a expected level of professionalism / etiquette / or manners that exceeds anything I have ever seen slighted towards one gender.
1. Tell them about this, don't suffer in silence.

2. Acceptable manner? I open the doors as well, but it is a dying tradition. Never had anyone stop and expect me to open the door though.

3. Sounds like it could be just this co-worker.

4. Why? Is this an office setting?

Old 06-21-2015, 01:48 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,015,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeblywobbly View Post

The phrase "when in Rome..." comes to mind.
Yep.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:07 AM

737 posts, read 1,918,471 times
Like anytime you move to a different part of the country, there are things you have to get used to. Either ignore it, or go with it. I don't see the problem with holding a door open, that's common courtesy. I've never had someone EXPECT me to open a door for them, but I often hold the door and get no 'thank you' in return. It is what it is.
As for the topics of convo, if someone is forcing you to talk about XYZ (which I think is odd), wave them off, give them no response, a vague response, and hopefully they will get the picture.
But I'm wondering if it's possibly your new company? Maybe it's a very conservative, traditional company who tends to hire likeminded people?
I work with people who want to be refered to "Ms. XYZ." I don't do it. I call people by their names. No special treatment for people on that one.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:39 AM

410 posts, read 803,638 times
Welcome to the Mid South. Just imagine if you were in the deep south!

We do things as we were raised to do. Not everyone is from here so it's not all "ya'll come back now, ya here!". But it ain't NY either. There's nothing wrong with a little conversation. Granted some want to talk your ear off. Get one of those false phone call apps and excuse yourself. Next time you want to tell someone about how great the art culture is in NM, perhaps they'll take your cue.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:27 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,534,408 times
this is an eye opener for me! Also considering a career move to Memphis but I don't believe I have ever worked anywhere in 40 years where co-workers address each other as Miss or Mr.!!! I won't discuss politics at work so no issue there and always open the door for anyone nearby so, other than the formality of addressing someone, are there other social norms that may come as a shock? Of course coming from Baltimore where my co-workers will often substitute "good morning" for "hey baby", it could take some getting used to, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: