Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 08:53 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,315,500 times

Advertisements

It was a rhetorical question.

I know about Downtown living. Memphis ain't got it.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:07 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,378,224 times
And it was also called sarcasm.

If you can save money by driving 5 miles to a different grocery store, why not? Downtown Memphis is so tiny, there isn't the need for something like a Super WalMart there. And there are several large grocery stores within a couple miles, other than that WalMart in West Memphis. With so many options, another one downtown would fail. Downtown just isn't that big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
It was a rhetorical question.

I know about Downtown living. Memphis ain't got it.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:49 AM

62 posts, read 287,587 times
Default not news AT ALL

Forbes generally does a fairly review, and it not as influenced by advertisers, big companies, and chambers of commerce like say CNN/Money
The evaluation about Memphis being a 'miserable city' is even echoed in some of my local friends who don't even KNOW it's 'miserable', or they are so biased they refuse to listen to others who may not be from here because they might have experienced better surroundings. I'm sure that there are some that may think that Forbes doesn't know what they are talking about and will attempt to dismiss their review.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:00 PM

165 posts, read 461,893 times
Just what we need,......more bad pub. That should really say something though. That it's not all in our heads. Memphis = drug addict in denial about addiction. But hey, we got Graceland. No other city has that bragging right.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenuegeye View Post
Just what we need,......more bad pub. That should really say something though. That it's not all in our heads. Memphis = drug addict in denial about addiction. But hey, we got Graceland. No other city has that bragging right.

You're right Memphis doesn't need anymore bad publicity- but this is widely known outside AND inside Memphis already- looking back on this forum, city-data, and many many others on the web- posters are fully aware of it but still others act like they work for the convention and visitors bureau or get paid to dispute the realities about Memphis, and even other cities

Old 02-15-2009, 12:14 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
All I can say is this:

I lived in Memphis for 5 years and lived in the area (North Mississippi) another 3 years. I absolutely adore Memphis and would move back in a heartbeat. It's certainly got its share of problems, and there are probably a whole bunch of people in Tennessee who'd just as soon donate Memphis to Mississippi. But I had an absolute blast living in Memphis and can't wait to go back for a visit.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:53 PM

that's why Nashvllians call Memphis the largest city in MISSISSIPPI

for me, I would never live in the State of Mississippi- memphis is quite bad enough

Old 02-16-2009, 07:34 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,378,224 times
How pleasant.

I wonder where the perception of misery comes from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebFlack View Post
that's why Nashvllians call Memphis the largest city in MISSISSIPPI

for me, I would never live in the State of Mississippi- memphis is quite bad enough

Old 02-16-2009, 11:05 AM

196 posts, read 692,653 times
Okay...

So if I'm not miserable then I am apparently out of touch with reality?

Or should I become miserable in order to fulfill the expectations of some magazine writer dorks?

Apparently, according to some, I am in denial.
Which I guess means that I fail to recognize the level of misery I am experiencing...

Or NOT

As for Nashville and the opinions expressed there...who cares?
Certainly not me!

It is February; the sun is shining; the daffodils are blooming; the birds are singing; I am warm even though my heat is turned off; the Tigers are winning...true misery I guess...

Old 02-16-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzloolue View Post
Okay...

Or should I become miserable in order to fulfill the expectations of some magazine writer dorks?

Apparently, according to some, I am in denial.
Which I guess means that I fail to recognize the level of misery I am experiencing...

Or NOT

As for Nashville and the opinions expressed there...who cares?
Certainly not me!

Really, I don't think how any rational, clear thinking person can suggest that Forbes Magazine is attempting to force a resident or visitor in making them feel 'miserable', or 'feel' anything

I for one have discovered that the professional contributors to Forbes Magazine, and a host of other reputable academics, business people, and experienced residents can not be logically characterized as some sort of malcontented reviewers relegated as "some magazine writer DORKS"

I also DO care about what other residents of the Great State Of Tennessee actually DO think about the state's largest city, home to some great multinational homegrown corporations such as FEDEX and Holiday Inns, etc...heck even Elvis

I also care about what residents actually think about this Great State's capital, Nashville, TN. I am proud of Nashville being an outstanding capital in the dynamic South.

It seems logical to care about how this city and the State ARE perceived in comparison to the other 49 - that way, we learn, become better, grow, and become far less parochial and needlessly insular.

I learned that false pride is just that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: