Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 08:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,398 times

Advertisements

DebFlack, Hi, this is JT, the DJ you were speaking about at Houlihan's. I finally retired from the FAA at the Memphis Air traffic Control Tower. The gentleman who drove the black Mercedes was Lyn Spearman, one of my best friends who now lives in Miami. The gentleman who drove the red Ferarri moved to Sarasota Fl. He was in the banking business. Red Bone, one of my favorite all time DJ's passed away around 2015. He lived in Olive Branch. Kid Davie joined the Circus circuit and has become very Succesful. He lives in Arkansaw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2020, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphoJim View Post
Thanks Deb!

Where was Scruples? The two Brothers ran it didn't they? Was it on Ridgeway by Benihana?

I actually DJ'ed at Houlihans after I worked at.....Wellingtons, N' Cahoots, Trivia.......Desperado

Used to go to Horsefeathers a lot......between there and Flanigans. And after hours........Underground.
Hi there! I am looking for more information on the bar in Memphis in the 80's called Desperado. I just found out that a good friends parents met there in the 80's and I would love more information on it! I wasn't quite born yet but I would love to be able to find some sort of memorabilia from there for them!

Old 04-11-2020, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 2,109 times
I seem to remember Desperados. I was too young buy my step dad and my mom used to run around at Bad Bob's Vapors. I'd love to hear some old stories about that place. Photos would be cool too.

I was too young but we used to sneak into Midnight Rodeo, Spurs, Hernando Hideaway, etc. I haven't been home in years. I've heard it's changed a lot, especially around Mid town.

Step dad owned a car lot in Orange Mound and it was rough back then. I can't imagine what it's like now.

Old 06-19-2020, 02:48 AM

2 posts, read 4,021 times
Wink club 616 owed by wilbur marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebFlack View Post
YES I remember Kid Davie !!!!!!! he had red hair, and a mustache, right ????.........I don't think he was from Memphis originally....he was good AND funny

Are you the guy with the dark hair and deep voice that had a ruddy/rougher/tanned sort of complexion ??????

You remember the wooden bear ???lol.....in the corner, circle table ???

How about a great server, petite super attractive short haired brunnette named Jill ?? she's a long time friend of mine....finally wise and moved to Denver !

What was the name of a rather avant garde three story hopping club in an old castle like house in midtown ???

Was it actually called The Castle ??? !!!!!! strange, but a hip place at the time

No it was club 616 owned by Wilbur marshal had different levels and themed bars throughout the whole that was a multi type music bar that had alot of tripping qualities

Old 06-19-2020, 03:30 AM

2 posts, read 4,021 times
the 3 level bar I think ur talking about was club 616 owned by Wilbur marshal. I grew up in this era also & the Memphis bar scene is written with mine & a few of my friends names not solely by any means but we had a big part in most all from studio 16, lil Ernie's, marks the spot, flanigans, night moves, shooters, triva, ecetra, scrupoles, ozone, midnight rodeo, cheynne, cowboy & ozone were the clubs in the clark tower & I worked at elan in 1982 when I was 19 yrs old. I lived all these bars any a few more & ther was no better time in Memphis than the 80's & 90's for the bar scene. the bars wer thriving all over & the ppl wer abundant in every one on different nights ther was all night bars like mugs, underground, 616, another on park & mendenhall corner, horsefeathers desperado, & still more that i can remember but cant get the name out yet... if u went to any of these bars during the 80's & 90's u saw me ther i was the short guy medimum build drove a t-top blue z28 & the name i was known back then was billbo , had many friends a few girls & a couple jealous enemies but times wer good for me in those days & they arnt bad now but man was they happening back then...

Old 06-19-2020, 09:41 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,484,983 times
Came to Memphis in 1968 to go to college.
Meals were at Little Pig on Highland about every other night. Louise and Granny were my substitute mothers.
We'd also eat at Jack Pirtle's Chicken about every other day. Loved that steak sandwich.
Buntyn's on Southern was where we'd go when we had $2.00 for a good meal--loved their fried chicken and peas in cream sauce.
We'd also eat at College Inn--going for the small cast iron skillets of cornbread.
Weekends, we'd take the big table at the foot of the stairs at the Rendezvous. Jack still had the back right room and Robert Stewart had the room behind Jack.
We'd hit Krystal on Poplar at 3:00 am every Saturday and Sunday like clockwork.
After college, we'd hit Gridley's on Summer on a Friday night. Great hustling waiters.
Took my wife on our first date (blind date) in 1981 to Captain Bilbo's on the river to hear Myron and the Marvells--great band. We'd also go down to see Joe Savage when he was in town.
The final watering hole for a number of years was at Alex's on Jackson Ave. It was where the young doctors and lawyers hung out, and had one of the best jukeboxes in town.
Moved home to Nashville in 1986.

Old 06-23-2020, 08:09 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,356,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
Came to Memphis in 1968 to go to college.
Meals were at Little Pig on Highland about every other night. Louise and Granny were my substitute mothers.
We'd also eat at Jack Pirtle's Chicken about every other day. Loved that steak sandwich.
Buntyn's on Southern was where we'd go when we had $2.00 for a good meal--loved their fried chicken and peas in cream sauce.
We'd also eat at College Inn--going for the small cast iron skillets of cornbread.
Weekends, we'd take the big table at the foot of the stairs at the Rendezvous. Jack still had the back right room and Robert Stewart had the room behind Jack.
We'd hit Krystal on Poplar at 3:00 am every Saturday and Sunday like clockwork.
After college, we'd hit Gridley's on Summer on a Friday night. Great hustling waiters.
Took my wife on our first date (blind date) in 1981 to Captain Bilbo's on the river to hear Myron and the Marvells--great band. We'd also go down to see Joe Savage when he was in town.
The final watering hole for a number of years was at Alex's on Jackson Ave. It was where the young doctors and lawyers hung out, and had one of the best jukeboxes in town.
Moved home to Nashville in 1986.
Did you ever go to Justine’s?

Old 06-29-2020, 11:00 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,041,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barefutbo View Post
the 3 level bar I think ur talking about was club 616 owned by Wilbur marshal. I grew up in this era also & the Memphis bar scene is written with mine & a few of my friends names not solely by any means but we had a big part in most all from studio 16, lil Ernie's, marks the spot, flanigans, night moves, shooters, triva, ecetra, scrupoles, ozone, midnight rodeo, cheynne, cowboy & ozone were the clubs in the clark tower & I worked at elan in 1982 when I was 19 yrs old. I lived all these bars any a few more & ther was no better time in Memphis than the 80's & 90's for the bar scene. the bars wer thriving all over & the ppl wer abundant in every one on different nights ther was all night bars like mugs, underground, 616, another on park & mendenhall corner, horsefeathers desperado, & still more that i can remember but cant get the name out yet... if u went to any of these bars during the 80's & 90's u saw me ther i was the short guy medimum build drove a t-top blue z28 & the name i was known back then was billbo , had many friends a few girls & a couple jealous enemies but times wer good for me in those days & they arnt bad now but man was they happening back then...
Did you know a guy named Jeff that worked security at 616?

Old 07-12-2020, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,886 times
I used to work at Horsefeathers, Kix, Coco Loco, Denim and Diamonds, and Shooters!! Lots of fun times!!

Old 07-12-2020, 04:38 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,484,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhatcst View Post
What was the name of the nightclub in clark tower in the 80’s? Thx!
Are you talking about the one that the women went to the Men's Room and the men went into the Ladies' Room?

I forget the name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis