Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2009, 03:50 PM

899 posts, read 2,277,588 times

Advertisements

I am a young professional who might be taking a job in Memphis. I will be renting an apartment with the hopes of buying a house in a/b 1-2 years. From what I read on these posts the benefit of TN is no income tax while MS is more house for the money. But as a renter not having to worry about a mortgage or property taxes, wouldn't it just make sense to rent in TN and avoid having to pay a state income tax? Would there be any reason to rent in MS, which I assume would mean paying MS income tax (such as are the rents much cheaper in Southaven than Cordova or Germantown areas)?

I guess my concern is that I don't want to establish myself in a TN town now and then have to move across the state line in a few years to get a house that I want. If I get involved in a ton of Tenn-related groups I wouldn't want to have to start over in Miss or vice-versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 06:27 PM

2 posts, read 5,729 times
Well, you pay the income tax based on where your job is. Since you are working in Memphis you will not be paying income tax. Mississippi has a lower sales tax, but a higher car registration tax. It is a give and take basically wherevever you liver. Southaven will probably be cheaper than Cordova, Germantown especially, and will be just as safe.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:40 PM

625 posts, read 4,558,387 times
You going to work for Smith & Nephew or Medtronic? just curious, I know a good amount of people come to work there from SC/Clemson.

Anyway, you being a young professional, I would say you should look into living in Memphis. I have friends who live on Mud Island/Harbor Town and the downtown social scene is pretty good for young people. I live in Nashville but grew up in Memphis and still have a lot of friends there - if I lived in Memphis I would want to live either downtown, midtown, or off Poplar Ave pretty much all the way out to Germantown/Nonconnah/Collierville area. MS is a good option if you want to get a huge house for the money, but it's a little out there in my opinion if you're young and single and like to mingle, haha.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:35 PM

14,984 posts, read 23,768,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ear455 View Post
Well, you pay the income tax based on where your job is. Since you are working in Memphis you will not be paying income tax. Mississippi has a lower sales tax, but a higher car registration tax. It is a give and take basically wherevever you liver. Southaven will probably be cheaper than Cordova, Germantown especially, and will be just as safe.
no, you will still be paying MS income tax.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:52 PM

242 posts, read 970,461 times
yup, you pay based on where you LIVE, not work. it gets very confusing. There are other fees in MS too. The property taxes are lower, how-ever, vehicle registration is pretty high. To REALLY figure out the best bet you'll have to pull up info on ALL taxes (property, vehicle, grocery, liquor, income, ect ect ect_). Most people believe that it basically evens out no matter where you are. IE: no state income tax, but higher sales tax. It really just depends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis