Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 02:48 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times

Advertisements

I'd suggest finding some homes online that you like, and then contacting a realty company and finding a realtor to work with. You can do that over the phone/email, explain your needs and situation, and then just make a trip to Memphis to see all the homes in a weekend and get a feel of the area. A real estate agent (hopefully) will not try to sell you a home in a bad area, if it's your agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 12:22 PM

31 posts, read 158,232 times
Have you thought of Collierville, it is in the southeastern corner of Shelby county. There are homes in the low 100's, and it has everything that you will need. Their is a very nice park near the center of town, with a pretty lake. Also the school systems are some of the best in the state. It is an area with a lot of expensive homes (mil +), but you can find some nice ones (1400 sq ft) plus a yard for your price range. Hope this helps.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:28 AM

22 posts, read 56,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlccherry View Post
Have you thought of Collierville, it is in the southeastern corner of Shelby county. There are homes in the low 100's, and it has everything that you will need. Their is a very nice park near the center of town, with a pretty lake. Also the school systems are some of the best in the state. It is an area with a lot of expensive homes (mil +), but you can find some nice ones (1400 sq ft) plus a yard for your price range. Hope this helps.
thanks so much i thought of collierville but then everyone told me that it is very expensive to live there

Old 03-30-2007, 12:40 PM

201 posts, read 1,070,410 times
You *might* also find an older duplex in Germantown. I also did a quick look on realtor.com and there are many smaller homes and/or duplexes in the 38016 zip code (this is "Cordova" - recently annexed sections by the city). The elem. schools are ranked high (stay in Chimneyrock, Macon Hall or Cordova Elem.). I am not so quick to say that the middle and high schools are good though so take that into consideration when looking.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:07 PM

31 posts, read 158,232 times
That is a common myth to help to keep out certain Memphian elements out of Collierville. Many of the FedEX and Autozone execs stay in Cville, and there are many mil$ neighborhoods. One of our church members was a realtor and found the house for us. Our neighboorhood was great and very quite. The police/firefighters were very friendly and personable. You can let the cville police know when you are out of town and they will come by and check on your house.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:54 PM

22 posts, read 56,923 times
So did some checking and with my financial situation not able to buy a home as soon as i would like too so now i'm having the pleasure of apartment hunting online for now is there anyone with any suggestions for apartments or townhomes. Another thing someone mentioned tipton county any opinions?

Old 04-10-2007, 02:58 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times
I really suggest you find out where you'll be working, and then chose an area based on that. Tipton Co is so far away. An hour from the center of Memphis. And in traffic, you could be looking at a 90 min drive in the morning to work. There are a bazillion apts throughout all areas of Memphis, so it really depends on where you want to live.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:21 PM

10 posts, read 82,265 times
Since you will be looking for apartments, the better areas for you and your kids would be Bartlett -- zip codes 38134, 38133 and 38135, Cordova -- 38016, 38018 -- there are a number of nice apartments in this area, Germantown as well, but your prices may be considerably high. Bartlett and Cordova are most reasonable with nice communities. Depending upon where your job is the commute may be about 30 min or more in the mornings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis