U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 01:33 PM

22 posts, read 54,475 times

Advertisements

I've finally narrowed it down to the top 2 choices i've picked either the bartlett area or near downtown area i am torn between the two areas because i am a little bit of country and a little bit of city i love them both so i'm having a hard time deciding. I'm looking to buy a townhouse or a duplex whenevr i decide which one can any suggest any good realtors
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 02:13 PM

3,371 posts, read 12,791,868 times
There aren't duplexes downtown. There are condos, like apartments. No townhouses for sure, unless you have $500,000 to spend. And the condos will be about $200,000 for a 1 bedroom. Keep that in mind, if you haven't looked. Downtown is good for young professionals who are single, or just married with no kids. There are no yards, nothing like that. You'd have to pay per month to park your car in a garage. No grocery stores downtown, so you'd be hauling bags down the street and up stairs. There is Mud Island, which has some expensive small homes, however that's not really "downtown."

Bartlett is a typical suburb. Families, yards, strip malls, traffic, etc.

It really depends on what you are looking to get out of your living experience.

Old 03-23-2007, 03:00 PM

Well i am a single parent my children will be with me part time so i would like a nice area nice yard so proably bartlett will be a better choice i live in california now so traffic wouldn't be a big deal to me do you know of any good realtors in bartlett area? and what's the average cost of housing there?

Old 03-23-2007, 03:38 PM

Mud Island downtown would be the only area with yards. There is South Bluffs in the arts district that has homes, but you're talking $500,000 plus for a house there. And small yards.

I have no clue about the Bartlett area. It all depends on the size of the home, but I guess an average 3 br house would be over $200,000. You can look at crye-leike.com and search for Bartlett to see all the homes for sale there.

Old 03-23-2007, 04:16 PM

113 posts, read 509,553 times
Bartlett is going to be more house for the money. There are more things for kids to do there also.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:52 PM

201 posts, read 1,030,290 times
You can get a home in Bartlett for under $200k easily. It might be older (late 80s or early 90s) but still in nice neighborhoods/good schools -and with yards.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:44 PM

I just realized you said "near downtown" in your question.

There are plenty of good homes in Midtown that are cheap(ish), have yards, trees, etc. A 5 min drive to downtown, at most. Cooper Young would be the cheapest with the smallest homes; some streets are better than others, and it's "up and coming" of an area. The other midtown areas may be more expensive, but are more set in place (historic districts). But you could find a house in midtown for the same price as Bartlett. Would be older, maybe a smaller yard, but you'd be in the city and close to downtown.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:02 PM

i did a little more research on this over the weekend and i'm almost 95% sure i'm going to go to bartlett i have 2 smalll children and that seems a little more what i'm looking for thanks so much for the feedback oh and if anyone has any good recomendations on the neighborhoods that are affordable and not to much crime your feedback would be greatly appreciated thanks

Old 03-26-2007, 07:45 PM

201 posts, read 1,030,290 times
What is your price range?

Old 03-28-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomartini View Post
What is your price range?
well i'm a single parent so nothing more than the low 100's either a single family home or townhouse would even be okay. If i cant find either one of those i proably will have to suck it up and live in an apartment if i can't find anything but i'm hoping for the best any suggestions please let me know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis