Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 07:51 PM

7 posts, read 36,267 times

Advertisements

I am moving my family to the Memphis area this summer. My wife's parents are also moving there at the same time. We are staying with them for a few months until we find a place that we would like to buy.

I have two questions about the crime in Memphis that are a little more specific.

First, I know the numbers. Memphis has a lot of crime. But, the type of crime? Is the crime more random or is it crime that occurs from gang, drug related lifestyles? For example: I used to live in Las Vegas. The crime there is bad, but I never felt unsafe because I am not in a gang, do not use drugs, and my lifestyle is simple: family and work. If you live in Memphis, do people's lifestyles invite crime, or does crime easily find you no matter who you are or where you live?

The other question: we will be temporarily living with my in-laws in zip code 38118, about 3-4 miles east of the airport. Is this area safe?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 08:30 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,374,704 times
The crime in 38118 has increased dramaticlly in the years past. This is around the Hickory Hill (Hood) area, correct? I'm sure it depends on the neighborhood though. Things change here street by street in some areas.

While the majority of crime is like you mention (gangs, drugs, people attacking people they know) not all is unfortunately. Crime does tend to find people in some ways, although of course if you use common sense and precaution, you can circumvent a lot. Defintely spend time researching the areas of town and finding areas you like before you buy anything.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:33 PM

1,292 posts, read 5,000,258 times
38118 covers quite a bit of area...some areas are worse than others. My mother lives in that zip and hasn't had any problems with crime - other than a purse snatching 20+ years ago...

Property crime and petty thefts can happen anywhere, so you just have to be careful and use common sense. Violent crime is mainly in North Memphis, Frayser, South Memphis and Whitehaven. If you look at the almost-daily murders and other violent crimes in Memphis they almost always seem to be either gang/drug related, or people who are either related or know each other. Most occur late at night in the aforementioned questionable areas of town. I doubt you'll be going to those places at those times.

Don't worry, you'll be just fine. You'll avoid the crime in Memphis just like you did in Vegas....

Old 04-15-2009, 08:38 PM

209 posts, read 811,938 times
38118 is pretty sketchy. I would definitely not want to live there for very long.

As for crime, the violent crimes are more drug/gang/domestic issues. The "everyday" crime (break-ins/car thefts etc.) can happen anywhere. Some neighborhoods are safer than others though. Germantown & Collierville are generally considered safer. Downtown has issues with car break-ins, but is otherwise quite safe.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:08 PM

7 posts, read 24,504 times
Last week I surveyed 6 friends that moved here within the last 6 months, each of whom actively searched for safe places to live. 100% had already been victims of crime, and one is moving because his wife can't take it anymore. Last night a friend's neighbor - in Central Gardens, mind you - was shot three times; a car stopped to ask for directions from a gentle, older man walking his dog, and then the driver shot him in the chest, shoulder, and stomach. In other words, even the violent crime is sometimes random. Of the 15+ cities I've lived in over the years (including major metropolitan areas w/ reputations for having high crime rates), Memphis is by far the worst in terms of crime. It's surreal.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:37 AM

I'd say that your friend's experiences are atypical.

I've lived here 60 years and been a crime victim once - 35 years ago I had a small tool box stolen from my unlocked car. Having lived here my entire life, I know a lot of people...and no one I know has ever been a victim of any kind of violent crime - and in those 60 years friends, coworkers, neighbors, etc., have only been victim to a couple of stolen cars, a couple of purse snatchings and a couple of home burglaries. That's it.

I'm not saying my experience is necessarily typical either, but for 6 people to all be crime victims within a 6 month period is really extreme.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:44 AM

7 posts, read 36,267 times
I checked the map of the house, and it is near the corner of tchulahoma road and the 175 (E Shelby Drive). It is about 2 miles from the TN/Mississippi border. Is that specific area better for anyone to give a more specific read on my earlier questions?

Thanks so much for the posts you have made already. Very helpful.

PS - How is the Cordova section, up by St. Benedict High School?

Old 04-16-2009, 08:08 AM

I can't help you with the Tchulahoma Road section, but I wouldn't consider that a high risk area. I wouldn't chose to live there personally, but it should be fine as long as you take the same sensible measures you should take anywhere.

As for Cordova, that's where I live....and I consider it a low crime, middle class area.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:15 AM

89 posts, read 247,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedc View Post
Last week I surveyed 6 friends that moved here within the last 6 months, each of whom actively searched for safe places to live. 100% had already been victims of crime, and one is moving because his wife can't take it anymore. Last night a friend's neighbor - in Central Gardens, mind you - was shot three times; a car stopped to ask for directions from a gentle, older man walking his dog, and then the driver shot him in the chest, shoulder, and stomach. In other words, even the violent crime is sometimes random. Of the 15+ cities I've lived in over the years (including major metropolitan areas w/ reputations for having high crime rates), Memphis is by far the worst in terms of crime. It's surreal.
I'm surprised by this. I've lived in Memphis 42 years and have never been the victim of a violent crime. My entire family lives here or used to live here (large family, too), and only one family member was ever the victim of a violent crime. That was 25 years ago, when my grandfather was accosted by a gunman outside his home, and the robber took jewelry, cash and two guns from the home. My grandfather was thankfully not seriously hurt.

I have had my car broken into a couple of times and my purse stolen twice, so once every 10 years I've been the victim of a property crime (and quite frankly, the purse stealings happened as a result of my own carelessness--I was younger).

Most people I know who've been the victims of crime have likewise only suffered infrequent property crimes. We live all over town.

From newspaper reports, I can tell you that most of the violent crimes, especially murders, are in the economically depressed parts of town. They're also usually gang- and or drug-related.

I'm careful but not paranoid, and I feel very safe in my neighborhood and area, East Memphis.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:58 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,480,961 times
Have you looked across the river at Marion Arkansas? Or south of the border at DeSoto County Mississippi?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis