Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 05:00 PM

944 posts, read 3,834,460 times

Advertisements

I will be doing some traveling this summer and I'm thinking about passing through Memphis. Any thoughts or suggestions? Is there an area with lots of restaurants? Any dog-friendly hotels?

Where should I stay?

What should I do?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2007, 07:07 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,025,792 times
Hey Muggy! I live in Tennessee. Unfortunately, I know nothing about Memphis. I have had a lot of the people as customers, and they are the best customers I have ever had, but I hear there is a lot of crime. I guess that Beale Street would be a not miss.

I want to visit, too.

Anyways, a big Tennessee Welcome to my friend Muggy!

Old 04-01-2007, 05:45 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,695,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
I will be doing some traveling this summer and I'm thinking about passing through Memphis. Any thoughts or suggestions? Is there an area with lots of restaurants? Any dog-friendly hotels?

Where should I stay?

What should I do?

Thanks!
You might try posting this same question in the Memphis sub-forum.

What kinds of restaurants do you like?

I like the Cooper-Young and Overton Square neighborhoods of Memphis, they're both in Midtown and have dozens of superb, locally-owned restaurants, clubs, bars, coffee shops, etc. But I don't recall seeing any hotels anywhere around there.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:12 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,651,603 times
are there any restaurants/hotels in Memphis where my pet duck will be welcomed?

Old 04-02-2007, 10:13 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,318,760 times
Pet....duck? Ha. There's always the Peabody!

Post this on the Memphsi forum, or try tripadvisor.com

Downtown is the only area that is really walkable, in terms of walking from your hotel to a ton of restaurants, nightlife, museums, etc.

If you go on tripadvisor, you will find hundreds of posts with your same question. Check there.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:25 AM

944 posts, read 3,834,460 times
My wife and I prefer to be in the middle of it all, so I suppose we'd like to be around Beale Street. I'd like to hit a BBQ joint.

Mostly I'm lookin' for a local to say, "If you are going to Memphis, you shouldn't miss..." It could be a museum, architecture, natural landform, body of water, restaurant etc.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:07 AM

14,984 posts, read 23,754,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
My wife and I prefer to be in the middle of it all, so I suppose we'd like to be around Beale Street. I'd like to hit a BBQ joint.

Mostly I'm lookin' for a local to say, "If you are going to Memphis, you shouldn't miss..." It could be a museum, architecture, natural landform, body of water, restaurant etc.
In that case you want to stay around Downtown or midtown. From downtown Beale street is a few blocks away (don't venture south of Beale street).
You shouldn't miss
- Graceland, cheesy but if you are in Memphis it is your duty to see it.
- Beale Street for the evening and spend at least one evening listening to a good blues band, maybe at BB Kings. Otherwise grab a "big ass beer" they sell on the streets and walk around Beale Street.
- Riverwalk and museam - A suprisingly excellent museam of pre civil war southern living and great views and information about the Missisippi.
- Eat at the Rendezous and order the dry ribs - This is downtown and arguably the best and most famous BBQ place in town.
- Take the trolley cars around downtown and wander around, hang around the riverfront.
- If you have more time there are other rock and roll related exhibits - Stax museam, Sun Studios, Gibson guitar factory. Check out one of them or all of them.
- If you like parks check out Shelby Farms - largest urban park in the U.S. I am told.
- If you like gambling take a two hour drive down to Tunica in MS.
- Vist the national civil rights museam at the site of where MLK was shot.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:37 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,318,760 times
Just FYI, Tunica isn't 2 hours from Memphis. it would be about a 30-45 min drive from downtown.

Rendezvous isn't the best BBQ in a lot of people's eyes, there are plenty of other choices if you wanted to try a few places in addition to them.

But yes, definitely stay downtown. That's really the only area you'll be near things and not feel like you are in a dangerous neighborhood or in the middle of a Desperate Housewives set.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:03 AM

12 posts, read 78,208 times
Tunica is about 30 - 45 minutes from Downtown Memphis. I used to work at Horseshoe years ago and it's not too far a drive. You do have to see Graceland just to say you have done it, it's pretty cool to me, and take plenty of pictures! Best BBQ, that could be Neeley's (for me) Rendevous, or Corkey's(wet is best)...if you come down in May, you must come to the BBQ fest that is downtown every year!It is awesome!

Old 04-12-2007, 01:11 PM

14,984 posts, read 23,754,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msspa View Post
Tunica is about 30 - 45 minutes from Downtown Memphis. I used to work at Horseshoe years ago and it's not too far a drive. You do have to see Graceland just to say you have done it, it's pretty cool to me, and take plenty of pictures! Best BBQ, that could be Neeley's (for me) Rendevous, or Corkey's(wet is best)...if you come down in May, you must come to the BBQ fest that is downtown every year!It is awesome!
A note on the BBQ Memphis in May festival - in some ways it's like a private party. It's open to the public but the hundreds of tents they have set up and the barbecue areas are only for those members or friends that are affiliated with the individual BBQ sponsor. Now they do have BBQ vendors and a "taster's choice" area, but don't go expecting to sample all the dozen of different BBQ tents. It's not a giant BBQ food festival at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: