Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 02:08 PM

201 posts, read 1,067,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothersboy02 View Post
Most of the negative comments come from jealous people that we have either beat in athletic/academic events or parents that wish they had the resources to send their child to the school.
Sounds like this is coming from a teenager. My child is not old enough to participate in competitive athletics and I do send my child to a private school.

I also do have a personal relationship with my neighbor's son as well as the entire family. He did leave because of the growing drug problem. Sorry to upset you but that is a fact - according to his parents who were the ones paying the tuition and making a decision on what they deemed best for their son. That is not at all to say there aren't drug problems everywhere. One would be an idiot to assume otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 10:38 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,329,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extemporaneously View Post
I will move to the Memphis area soon. I am considering Christian Brothers HS for my son. Does anyone have thoughts to share about this school, academic and otherwise?
I attended Memphis University School. We had an athletic rivalry. I know a couple of my classmates who left MUS (either voluntarily or otherwise) went to CBHS, and vice versa. Obviously I'm glad to have attended and graduated from MUS, they were extremely generous with financial aid and scholarships and I received a broad-based education that extended beyond academics. I can't make a comparison w/ CBHS b/c I never attended it. I do think MUS has more of an elitist patina to it, given the level of alumni that have emerged from it perhaps, as well as some of the spoiled behaviors of a few of their legacy children. But it's not like CBHS is "keepin it real" either. When you get to that kind of school, you know the shine you're getting. But there was tremendous diversity, high academic achievement (17 AP classes), and a high level of independence that the school provided (honor code). Their grads also receive more than $5 mill in schollies (actual fig in the ~ 8 range).

I don't remember if we felt CBHS was an academic rival. IRRC, it's a much larger school than MUS (enrollment ~650). I know we viewed St. Mary's as an academic peer from the female side, and Brentwood Academy as a rival from the state side, White Station from the city public school side.

Someone mentioned St. George's, and I attended that school when I was in elementary school. If there's a private school that is trying to "keep it real," it would be SGIS, especially b/c they opened up a new elementary school in the city to try to address the issue of underrepresented kids from the inner city having access to a high level of academic training. Its academics are on par or even beyond that of MUS. If you can get in, and prefer a tiny-school environment, by all means go if you can.

Edit: MUS is structured after UVA.

Last edited by Kabluey; 05-27-2007 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: adding relevant information; grammar

Old 05-27-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothersboy02 View Post
What do you know about a drug problem. I have heard Cordova has some of the biggest drug problems in the state of TN.

Dude, your defensiveness and lashing out at other posters distracts the positive points you're trying to convey.

To try to summarize for you:

Positives -- the level of drug testing and the results; the amount of schollies; infrastructure improvements. Great information, relevant to anyone looking to attend CBHS.

Everything else you posted, imo, reflects poorly on the school you're trying to defend.

I'm sure the original poster already researched sites like cbhs.org, musowls.org, and sgis.org. One last thing, though, just b/c one puts a religious name (christian, saint, etc), doesn't shield one from criticism. In fact, perhaps it's reasonable to hold such institutions to higher standards if they want a higher level of respect.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:02 PM

5 posts, read 19,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
The only problem I have with the school is the MASSIVE construction work on the road/interstate right next to it which causes the most insane traffic jams I have ever seen in my life. I refuse to drive over there now.
That area isn't bad... IF you only drive through it during non-peak hours, which I have to do every day for work.

The real problem is Baptist Memorial Hospital. They chose to build their hospital there a few years ago right on the edge of one of the two main east-west arteries that service the suburbs, right across from CBHS, and then expected CBHS to give up some of its land to accommodate the increased traffic. In the meantime, they demolished their former building downtown instead of repurposing it. But that's the Memphis way, isn't it? Don't recycle or reuse old buildings, just tear 'em down and build something new and insignificant!

Old 07-20-2007, 05:38 PM

1 posts, read 4,568 times
Default Cbhs

My son who will be a senior has attended CBHS since 9th grade and there are no drug problems in the school because CBHS has a random drug testing program and they test every student at CBHS for drugs. We choose CBHS because of it's excellent reputation. MUS and the surrounding schools do not test for drugs because the parents are against it. What does that tell you?

In addition to drug testing, CBHS conducts alcohol testing before home football games. Alcohol testing is also conducted at random.

Old 07-21-2007, 01:36 PM

376 posts, read 1,773,848 times
CBHS used to have a pretty big drug problem. I went there and I knew about it, but I successfully avoided it without difficulty. They started doing random drug testing in 2000, and they use a hair follicle test, which is pretty much impossible to defeat. If you used in the last 90 days, you will be caught. I thought I got an excellent education there. It is probably not quite the level of MUS, but the value is great. CBHS is also a much more well-rounded school. The rich kids don't shove it in everyone's faces, and the parents aren't snobs. The school is extremely well-run and doesn't cave in to whims of parents like a lot of other private schools do.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennreb View Post
CBHS used to have a pretty big drug problem. I went there and I knew about it, but I successfully avoided it without difficulty. They started doing random drug testing in 2000, and they use a hair follicle test, which is pretty much impossible to defeat. If you used in the last 90 days, you will be caught. I thought I got an excellent education there. It is probably not quite the level of MUS, but the value is great. CBHS is also a much more well-rounded school. The rich kids don't shove it in everyone's faces, and the parents aren't snobs. The school is extremely well-run and doesn't cave in to whims of parents like a lot of other private schools do.
I disagree on the well-rounded aspect, but everyone has their opinions. You're probably right about the wealth; I don't think most of MUS parents are snobs, but they're not ashamed about their money either. The kids on the other hand . . . But I can say that about CBHS as well, they play lacrosse too, lol, and many of the families overlap between the two schools. That being said, a significant number of students go to MUS on schollies and financial aid. Let's not paint either school with a broad brush. They both provide a valuable service for the young men of Memphis.

I don't want to get into an MUS vs CBHS thing. I really don't get the resentment (by some in the community) against MUS. There are a high number of great alums from MUS that have contributed to the community, and most of them aren't snobs. Most of them don't get a ton of press either. I'm proud to have attended MUS, and the hard work that aided me into that school was not wasted, given the quality of the well-rounded education I received. I'm by no means a silver spooner. In retrospect, the only other school I would've considered (if it was up to me) would've been SGIS if it existed back then.

Old 07-22-2007, 12:07 AM

376 posts, read 1,773,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
I disagree on the well-rounded aspect, but everyone has their opinions. You're probably right about the wealth; I don't think most of MUS parents are snobs, but they're not ashamed about their money either. The kids on the other hand . . . But I can say that about CBHS as well, they play lacrosse too, lol, and many of the families overlap between the two schools. That being said, a significant number of students go to MUS on schollies and financial aid. Let's not paint either school with a broad brush. They both provide a valuable service for the young men of Memphis.

I don't want to get into an MUS vs CBHS thing. I really don't get the resentment (by some in the community) against MUS. There are a high number of great alums from MUS that have contributed to the community, and most of them aren't snobs. Most of them don't get a ton of press either. I'm proud to have attended MUS, and the hard work that aided me into that school was not wasted, given the quality of the well-rounded education I received. I'm by no means a silver spooner. In retrospect, the only other school I would've considered (if it was up to me) would've been SGIS if it existed back then.
I don't have any resentment against MUS. A lot of my friends went there, and it is definitely a quality school where a young man can get an excellent education. However, some of the parents send their sons there as a status symbol. Not all, just some. And I've heard complaints from the normal parents (that are very wealthy) about having to deal with some of the snobby parents that don't have a fraction of what they do. I'm sure those people are in the minority, though.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 4,526 times
Your replies seem to be focusing on the MEMPHIS problem rather than school... CBHS happens to be the best, Academically (the majority of the instructors are Masters a number are doctors and all are truly dedicated to the teaching profession), Athletically ( too many championships to enumerate here )and equally important, Personally (All of the boys are known by name by the administrators-each of the boys is held accountable for his own actions and is expected to understand this accountability)
Both of my sons are Brothers Boys and both have benefited from the experience.... TRUE....MANY MILLIONS of EARNED SCHOLARSHIPS EVERY YEAR !!!!!!! A Truly WONDERFUL Educational experience for both student and Parent.... CHECK OUT THE ALUMNUS NAME LIST.....

"ONCE A Brothers Boy, ALWAYS a Brothers Boy!"

Last edited by n. destefano; 07-25-2007 at 12:56 PM..

Old 07-25-2007, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennreb View Post
I don't have any resentment against MUS. A lot of my friends went there, and it is definitely a quality school where a young man can get an excellent education. However, some of the parents send their sons there as a status symbol. Not all, just some. And I've heard complaints from the normal parents (that are very wealthy) about having to deal with some of the snobby parents that don't have a fraction of what they do. I'm sure those people are in the minority, though.

You're right about that minority. I'm sure it exists elsewhere, but when I attended St. George's elementary, it wasn't as visible. There definitely is an elitist patina to attending the same school that has spawned almost all of the male Memphis owners of the Grizzlies, and whose alums and parents of alums include CEOs and founders of a lot of well-known companies. Some folks just want to ride the coattails; others look to lead. I'm just glad we have SGIS, MUS, and CBHS; the more the merrier as long as they produce leaders that will stick around and inspire positive change in the community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis