Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2008, 09:08 PM

18 posts, read 62,911 times

Advertisements

I am the first house buyer and probably we will relocate to other place in five years.
Recently we found a house right on Poplar Ave. close to university of memphis, my husband and I really like this house and the seller accept our offer, but the big concern is location problem. Our realtor and friends kept telling us that "location, location, location". It seems poplar has very bad traffic plus we have a small kid running all over the place. So my question is that is this true that house on busy street have much lower possiblity to be sold?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 07:24 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,635 times
On Poplar near the U of M? Houses there tend to keep their value very well. Traffic is bad there, and you would probably want to direct your child to the backyard, rather than the front. Otherwise, I can't think of many areas of Memphis that are more desirable than that one (assuming you're talking about the Red Acres / Galloway / High Point area.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:45 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times
It's a good area, but yes, horrible traffic. People drive 80 mph down that street (not often, but no joke, people are dumb enough to do that). I think the speed limit is 40 or 45 but everyone drives faster than that. 6 lanes of traffic plus the turning lane. You'd want to keep your children out of the front yard at all times. I'm sure the traffic gets very loud, with the trucks, people blaring music, honking, etc. But, if you have a big front fence, or big trees, and good windows, that would help.

It's a good area, right by UM. Any further west and it would not be good, but then again there are not houses along Poplar west of Highland

Old 06-25-2008, 09:04 AM

12 posts, read 33,346 times
Default good

I also plan to move to Memphis & have not visited this blog in a while, because all I was reading was how BAD & Crime ridden it is. At least you got some nice replys.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:06 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times
And, one of the city's richest and most famous people lives right there at Poplar by UM So the area is obviously pretty darn good.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:41 PM

Thanks reply, actually busy street doesn't bother me, I always have very good sleep regardless noise or light. The only thing I am worried is resale might be a problem for this house. I know no one can really predict the future house market but still not very comfortable with it.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:53 PM

774 posts, read 2,581,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by June1102 View Post
Thanks reply, actually busy street doesn't bother me, I always have very good sleep regardless noise or light. The only thing I am worried is resale might be a problem for this house. I know no one can really predict the future house market but still not very comfortable with it.
In that area, resale shouldn't be a problem by any means. It is a very desirable area and has been for well over 50 years.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:39 PM

Yes, I know it is good area. If the house is away from the main street and just a little bit further inside, I would buy it without any hesitation.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:46 PM

774 posts, read 2,581,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by June1102 View Post
Yes, I know it is good area. If the house is away from the main street and just a little bit further inside, I would buy it without any hesitation.
I can certainly empathize with that as the parent of a school-age child. I think you'll discover that younger kids tend to play in their backyards here anyway, particularly if a parent is not with them at the moment. Does the house have a suitable back yard? My aunt and uncle lived on that stretch of Poplar (on Poplar itself) for many years and had an enormous backyard which provided plenty of play room for any child.

Anywho, I was responding to your concern about the potential for resale because you stated that resale was the only thing that concerned you about the house. On that issue, if any house will sell in the city of Memphis in five years, those in that area will. .

Old 06-30-2008, 09:41 PM

82 posts, read 279,039 times
I have quite a few customers in that area. Poplar is busy but the area is nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis