Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2009, 06:19 PM

5 posts, read 19,186 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a senior about to graduate high school. I live in Memphis, and I was accepted into the U of M. I was also accepted to UT Martin.

I've been to the U of M a couple times before, but I've never had a full tour. The area looks pretty nice, and I think a few of my friends are going there as well.

The thing is I've been hearing so many bad things about the school. One of my teachers, who is teaching his first year, goes there for education classes. He told me not to go, but he's basing that off of his classes, which he says are terrible. Are the bad things really true?

On the other hand, UT Martin is a good school, I've heard. But, I've never been there, and no absolutely no one there. It's also seems really isolated. Does anyone know if the social scene, and student life are good in Martin?

The main thing determining my decision is cost. UT Martin costs a little more, and I'd be living on my own, which is something totally new. Memphis costs around 6 thousand dollars, and I've been offered a 4 thousand a year scholarship.

Right now, I'm leaning towards Memphis because it's home, and the cost.

If anyone that's read this far has any experiences with either school, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 09:01 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,313,166 times
I attended both UTM (undergrad) and the U of M (grad school). They are very different schools, and Martin and Memphis are very different towns. There are good and bad to both.

Let's start with this: What will you be studying?

Old 05-03-2009, 07:54 AM

I'm not 100% sure on what I'll be studying, but I'm thinking about engineering.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:46 PM

340 posts, read 1,314,252 times
Martin is very rural without much in the way of any kind of scene. I would imagine that leads to a much more active campus environment (Greek organizations and the like) than you would find in Memphis. The off campus scene (at least for the friends of mine who went there) at Martin seemed to involve at lot of driving to the nearest county where you could buy liquor as Martin was dry. It was certainly in too small of a town for my liking, but I can understand the appeal of a small town dominated by a college to many folks.

As for the quality of the professors, I would imagine you will find good and bad at both. At Memphis (I was a business major), I had some great professors in general courses (History, Psychology, English) and in the business courses, and a I had some not so great in ones in both as well. The percentage of great and not so great were both relatively small, but the vast majority were good and interested in their profession and their students.

The campus has changed a lot since I was a student, and certainly seems to have more going on now than when I was there. However, it is still basically a commuter school where Martin would almost certainly have a great percentage of students living on or around campus.

By the way, my wife got her undergraduate in education at Memphis and speaks very highly of the staff in that department.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:01 PM

Thanks for the response.

Right now I think I'm going to Memphis. I want to live in a dorm, to have the full college experience. I don't want to live with my parents anymore. So, how are the dorms? South Hall seems like a good choice for me. I know I'm not going to live in luxury, but I hope they're pretty clean and comfortable.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:58 PM

9 posts, read 29,021 times
go with south hall or carpenter (more $$). richardson is a nightmare.most things about the uni SUCK (graduated 1 1/2 year ago), but the University Honors Department is actually worth a damn. In general, watch out for semi-literate jesus freaks and tons of red tape. good lucki lived on campus for 2/3 of my time there and worked either in admin or UNHP all four years, so i'm pretty familiar with the current goings-on.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:32 PM

845 posts, read 2,541,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL91 View Post
I'm not 100% sure on what I'll be studying, but I'm thinking about engineering.

I may be biased since I am a U of M engineering alumni, but I think Memphis has a better engineering program.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigertate View Post
I may be biased since I am a U of M engineering alumni, but I think Memphis has a better engineering program.
I'm going to Memphis this fall, and I'm going to be living at home to cut costs. One thing I'm still unsure on is my major. I'm really interested in engineering, but sometimes I just get a headache thinking of all the math, and physics involved. I'm decent at math, but have no experience in physics and other related fields. I'm still undecided right now, and my orientation is in a few weeks. Since you're an alumni, could you tell me what the engineering classes will be like, and what kind of companies I could work for and what engineers actually do daily?

Thanks.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:13 PM

845 posts, read 2,541,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL91 View Post
I'm going to Memphis this fall, and I'm going to be living at home to cut costs. One thing I'm still unsure on is my major. I'm really interested in engineering, but sometimes I just get a headache thinking of all the math, and physics involved. I'm decent at math, but have no experience in physics and other related fields. I'm still undecided right now, and my orientation is in a few weeks. Since you're an alumni, could you tell me what the engineering classes will be like, and what kind of companies I could work for and what engineers actually do daily?

Thanks.
I would be glad to give you some info. Keep in mind that there are different disciplines in engineering.

Civil Engineering typically deals with everything relating to civilization, like structures, foundations, waste water and environmental remediation, soil mechanics, transportation and traffic, water resources, and construction.

Mechanical Engineering deals with things like HVAC systems, engines, etc. Wiki says "Mechanical engineers use the core principles as well as other knowledge in the field to design and analyze motor vehicles, aircraft, heating and cooling systems,watercraft, [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manufacturing_plants"]manufacturing plants, industrial equipment and machinery, robotics, medical devices and more." These guys design the cars we drive, the planes in the sky, refrigerators, AC units, mechanical devices used in mass production, and other things.

Electrical Engineering deals with electronic components, power, telecommunications, and electromagnetism. These guys design the components that are in your cpu, and design the power grid that supplies electricity to your home.

The U of M also has a Biomedical Engineering department. "Biomedical Engineering combines biology and medicine with engineering to advance healthcare through the creation of innovative devices and procedures. Biomedical engineers collaborate with scientists, other engineers, and practicing physicians on projects such as orthopedic implants, artificial organs, cardiovascular prostheses, and improved medical imaging techniques."

Your course work in engineering will be tough, but it is very rewarding because unlike other majors, in engineering you learn the theory and science behind some of things you utilize everyday and may have been curious about. Do not be afraid of the course work. If you have the determination to learn and work hard you will be fine. The only thing that can get kind of frustrating with engineering classes is the fact that many of your exams may only have like 5 questions. So if you miss one your grade will drop significantly. You can get partial credit, but depending on the teacher, that can be little to nothing. Many engineers hate the math because you will rarely use most of it. You have to learn all of the advanced calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra to understand the theory behind many engineering concepts, but fortunately there were a lot of really smart people in history who were able to break this theory down to relatively easy algebraic equations. What makes it difficult is knowing how to use the equation (in the sense of what variables are needed to find this solution), and how to manipulate the equations to get what you want.

As an engineer you will never be rich (unless you invent something that everybody want, or figure out how to make cars run on water, LOL), but you will live a comfortable life and make a good living. Engineers work for Utility companies like Memphis Light Gas and Water, government agencies (at the local, state, and federal level), vehicle companies (like Toyota, Honda, GM, and Ford), manufacturing facilities, consulting firms, construction companies, and etc.

In college, engineering classes really teach you how to think critically, and how to break down a problem and solve it.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigertate View Post
I would be glad to give you some info. Keep in mind that there are different disciplines in engineering.

Civil Engineering typically deals with everything relating to civilization, like structures, foundations, waste water and environmental remediation, soil mechanics, transportation and traffic, water resources, and construction.

Mechanical Engineering deals with things like HVAC systems, engines, etc. Wiki says "Mechanical engineers use the core principles as well as other knowledge in the field to design and analyze motor vehicles, aircraft, heating and cooling systems,watercraft, [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manufacturing_plants"]manufacturing plants, industrial equipment and machinery, robotics, medical devices and more." These guys design the cars we drive, the planes in the sky, refrigerators, AC units, mechanical devices used in mass production, and other things.

Electrical Engineering deals with electronic components, power, telecommunications, and electromagnetism. These guys design the components that are in your cpu, and design the power grid that supplies electricity to your home.

The U of M also has a Biomedical Engineering department. "Biomedical Engineering combines biology and medicine with engineering to advance healthcare through the creation of innovative devices and procedures. Biomedical engineers collaborate with scientists, other engineers, and practicing physicians on projects such as orthopedic implants, artificial organs, cardiovascular prostheses, and improved medical imaging techniques."

Your course work in engineering will be tough, but it is very rewarding because unlike other majors, in engineering you learn the theory and science behind some of things you utilize everyday and may have been curious about. Do not be afraid of the course work. If you have the determination to learn and work hard you will be fine. The only thing that can get kind of frustrating with engineering classes is the fact that many of your exams may only have like 5 questions. So if you miss one your grade will drop significantly. You can get partial credit, but depending on the teacher, that can be little to nothing. Many engineers hate the math because you will rarely use most of it. You have to learn all of the advanced calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra to understand the theory behind many engineering concepts, but fortunately there were a lot of really smart people in history who were able to break this theory down to relatively easy algebraic equations. What makes it difficult is knowing how to use the equation (in the sense of what variables are needed to find this solution), and how to manipulate the equations to get what you want.

As an engineer you will never be rich (unless you invent something that everybody want, or figure out how to make cars run on water, LOL), but you will live a comfortable life and make a good living. Engineers work for Utility companies like Memphis Light Gas and Water, government agencies (at the local, state, and federal level), vehicle companies (like Toyota, Honda, GM, and Ford), manufacturing facilities, consulting firms, construction companies, and etc.

In college, engineering classes really teach you how to think critically, and how to break down a problem and solve it.
Wow, Thanks for all the info.

I've already gone to orientation, and registered for my classes. My adviser, Mr. Mindermann was awesome. He put me in this Fresh Connections learning community called "Entry to Engineering." I really think that this class will broaden my views on engineering.

I know that most engineers make a good amount of money. I just want to live a good life, be able to afford things I want (not million dollar mansions or anything). So, I'm gonna be an engineer!

Thanks again Tigertate, you're awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: