Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 08:49 AM

11 posts, read 30,848 times

Advertisements

any thoughts about where this is:
Beautiful Bungalow - 2 Car Garage (http://memphis.craigslist.org/apa/1157003192.html - broken link)

JoeCartpath: would you mind providing a bit more info on your friend's place in Central Gardens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 09:33 AM

1,292 posts, read 5,001,959 times
DM sent

The Auberndale house looks nice, but that's between Jackson and Vollintine. I personally wouldn't want to be north of Jackson - probably not even north of North Parkway

Old 05-07-2009, 10:07 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,378,224 times
Agreed. That is too close to Jackson, which is very, very rough part of town. The neighborhood is good to the south, but that's a little too close for my preference.

Generally speaking, I also agree - you want to stay south of North Parkway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post
DM sent

The Auberndale house looks nice, but that's between Jackson and Vollintine. I personally wouldn't want to be north of Jackson - probably not even north of North Parkway

Old 05-07-2009, 03:27 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
If that's where I think it's at it might be worth at least looking at. There is a fairly nice little neighborhood up behind/beside Rhodes College, seems to be mostly young professionals and families. We'd walk around the n'hood while my kids had soccer practice or whatever at Rhodes, and generally it was okay right around the school. Get a little farther north or west, then yeah, it started getting rough looking.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:31 AM

26 posts, read 58,655 times
Default if you want to feel like you are in a city

I'd look downtown..if you don't want to see the same chain stores and places to eat as you would in every city in the country.. you'll have the history of the city..the trolly line..beale st...art..music..soul... the Island the river..all the things that make memphis....memphis

there are tons of great deals on homes (the island) condos & apts for rent... many people kept/keep second homes downtown and many are for lease in these economic times... many rent for less than what it cost the owner to own them...

there are tons of people biking everyday downtown alone and in groups

I hope you enjoy your move to memphis..be prepared for culture shock..just embrace it and you'll be fine
p

Old 05-10-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissyjupe View Post
does anyone know much about the dance scene? From what I can find online, there is definitely a classical ballet scene (ballet memphis, new ballet ensemble), but what about modern/contemporary jazz? I have been an adjunct at 2 universities here in UT and am a serious dancer, however classical ballet is not exactly my focus. I'm not looking to become a Memphis Grizzlies dancer.
I've emailed a few people, looked at different web pages, etc. and still cannot find much info that is very helpful.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:24 PM

505 Tennessee Street Memphis, 38103

What is the South Bluffs area like? I'm not excluding Midtown. These lofts look nice, near the park and river, but a bit industrial--

Old 05-12-2009, 09:40 PM

165 posts, read 461,893 times
BIG mistake!

Old 05-13-2009, 07:42 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,378,224 times
South Bluffs is a very exclusive community of homes. They have also built a ton of new condos around the area, all expensive. Most are unsold. They built too many, and the market bottomed, and many sit abandoned and empty. Hopefully when the market bounces back, people will start buying again. But the area is sort of a yuppie area of young professionals and similar people. Not to make that sound bad! It IS an industrial area. Many "loft" type areas in urban cities are like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissyjupe View Post
505 Tennessee Street Memphis, 38103

What is the South Bluffs area like? I'm not excluding Midtown. These lofts look nice, near the park and river, but a bit industrial--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis