Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 02:28 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times

Advertisements

How far away is Branson, Mo? That place is definitely geared to tourists, so lots of good stuff to do/see. YOu might even get tickets to a concert that the two of you would enjoy. I also thought of Tupelo as a PP said. Also geared to tourists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 12:24 PM

738 posts, read 2,576,191 times
Branson, MO is almost 5 hours, and St. Louis is over 4, so those are out. Tupelo is out, because we're saving that for a trip with kids. I'm investigating all of your other great ideas! Thanks everyone.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:50 PM

340 posts, read 1,314,736 times
I've stayed at this hotel in Florence, AL (the shoals area):

Florence Alabama Hotel and Resort - Hotels in Shoals, Alabama

It's a nice hotel and has nice views out over the Wilson Lake/Dam area, and I can't imagine it is more than a hour and a half or so from Collierville straight out Hwy 72. I'm sure there are some restaurants in the area that have local flavor (but I don't know any to recommend), and the Tri-Cities area (Muscle Shoals, Florence, Tuscumbia) has most of the national chain places. You are a short drive from the hotel to Ivy Green (where Helen Keller grew up) Museum. I'm sure there is hiking and such in the area as well in some of the parks near the river/lake.

Shopping? I know they have a Lowes.....

Old 05-24-2009, 11:55 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
It's two hours from Memphis.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:41 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,347,596 times
Talking i want you to "SHOAL" me the way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMGrad92 View Post
I've stayed at this hotel in Florence, AL (the shoals area):

Florence Alabama Hotel and Resort - Hotels in Shoals, Alabama

It's a nice hotel and has nice views out over the Wilson Lake/Dam area, and I can't imagine it is more than a hour and a half or so from Collierville straight out Hwy 72. I'm sure there are some restaurants in the area that have local flavor (but I don't know any to recommend), and the Tri-Cities area (Muscle Shoals, Florence, Tuscumbia) has most of the national chain places. You are a short drive from the hotel to Ivy Green (where Helen Keller grew up) Museum. I'm sure there is hiking and such in the area as well in some of the parks near the river/lake.

Shopping? I know they have a Lowes.....

the best "fine" dining in the shoals area is the restaurant that sits on the bluff right above the dam. i cannot remember the name, off hand, however, it is in florence, and it is easily seen on the bluff going south toward muscle shoals. they have great stakes, chicken, and fish. i have friends who live in muscle shoals, tuscumbia, and florence. all celebrate special occasions at this establishment. as for shopping, decatur, about 45 minutes away, and even larger huntsville would be easy drives.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:50 AM

738 posts, read 2,576,191 times
Wow, what a cool place that Marriott looks like, It looks like you're in the Caribbean! For some reason, it's totally booked next weekend! We will keep that in mind for another time.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:44 PM

340 posts, read 1,314,736 times
It really is a nice place, and has a pretty elaborately themed pool. The one time I stayed there it was during a late May cold snap. The pool was open but it was cold...real cold. My daughter wanted to swim, so being a good dad we went swimming and I thought I might die. We eventually went into the indoor pool (right beside the outdoor pool), and in comparison it felt like I was swimming in lava.

I plan to go back someday when the weather is more pleasant so I can enjoy the pool and patio area around it. I also plan to go back without the kids so my bride and I can more fully enjoy the trip!

Old 05-26-2009, 06:52 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
The Jack Daniels Distillery??????????

Old 05-26-2009, 08:55 PM

60 posts, read 207,636 times
For an entire weekend without kids...Hot Springs...it is a great pace for tired parents (speaking from experience)...I do recommend Clarksdale however only for an overnight trip unless you stay there a night in Clarksdale and then in Tunica for a night...there really is not enough to do in Clarksdale to warrant an entire weekend.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:49 PM

455 posts, read 1,559,645 times
Regarding Hot Springs, I mentioned it earlier too and have been there many times. We go by way of Pine Bluff (for an event I attend the first Sat. every April), then on to Hot Springs. The quicker way is thru Little Rock on the interstate. In HS you'll find beautiful mountain scenery. Good restaurants. Several impressive lakes. The town itself is old and quaint and full of interesting history. Many folks from the big urban areas including Memphis are settling there and building homes (one couple I know just bought a lot on Lake Hamilton and will be building).

However, it may be a little far for the original poster and to do it right you'll need to stay I think a couple of nights. In my case I prefer a visit when the ponies are running at Oaklawn. That's ended for now. It ends the first weekend in April usually with a big final stakes race (I forget the name of it).

Anyway, for those interested I'd stay at the Arlington Hotel at least once if you've never done it. It backs up literally to a national park so you can take off hiking in the mountains a few steps from the pool. You'll want to see the spot across from the hotel where the hot springs well up from (and they REALLY are hot). You'll want to see Bath House Row also (that was a big deal in older times). And you'll also want to drive up into the park and go up to the top of the observation tower from which you can see the entire county.

If the racing season is on, don't miss the party in the lobby of the Arlington the night before the Sunday finale. It's live entertainment and a really fun event. And plan on eating at the track. Best rueben sandwiches you'll ever experience. They do 'um good there.

I guess that's enough on HS...I won't weary you with how NOT to bet on the horses...

I agree that Clarksdale probably needs to be combined with other sightseeing...perhaps Greenville for those who have time to go that far...or Helena if the King Biscuit Blues Festival is going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis