Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2009, 02:44 PM

17 posts, read 71,887 times

Advertisements

Hello...my husband and I live outside of Collierville and are thinking about having a pool put in. We know very little and would like input from those who have/had pools. We are researching the diff. types, fiberglass vs gunite (sp)? vs liner? We are want something small say aprox 20x12 with few extras if any...Thanks for any info r/t contractors and cost....
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 08:44 PM

340 posts, read 1,308,323 times
I don't have a pool, but have some friends who have installed pools in the last couple of years. I know gunite is the only way to get an unusual shape or depth pool. Liner and fiberglass pools are generally prefabricated and you are stuck with two or three options for shape/size/depth. I think gunite is more expensive, but it does seem to give flexibility that you don't get otherwise.

My friends also would recommend getting the salt water system for chlorine (don't really know how it works, just that it uses salt instead of chlorine and is supposed to be cheaper and easier on the skin). A heater or heat exchange system is probably a good idea in this area too. You could extend your swimming season by a couple or three months with one. Think of those 80 degree days in early/mid October or early/mid April when the only thing keeping you out of the pool is the cold water. I say this based on one of the three not getting these two things and constantly saying he wished he had.

I'll ask around and find out who they used for the install, but I know all three went with gunite so if you go another route it may not help you.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:39 PM

17 posts, read 71,887 times
Thanks for the info....!!!

Old 05-25-2009, 02:35 PM

738 posts, read 2,564,480 times
A couple of people in my neighborhood used RichWay and were very pleased. Be careful to get a firm estimate on excavation, I just had a friend have major issues with the ground caving in and causing problems, and another friend who was told it would be 40K to prepare her back yard (near a pond) for the pool.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:14 PM

11 posts, read 56,748 times
I had built my pool with www.yourpoolbid.com. They have 2 programs with their site, have 3 builders come give you a quote or a be your own builder program we started by going with the 3 builders coming out and the price for the pool we wanted was $64,000.00 and just out of our reach so we talked with them about the be your own builder program and for $1,300 we got a list of sub contractors and a guarantee and they even came out for city inspections now for the good part We spent probably an hour an a houf on the phone with different sub contractors during the whole build and we spent $52,300. for the exact same pool as the other contractors quoted. Now we did have a little worry for about 2 weeks, we had a problem with the plaster the next year and we tried to leave yourpoolbid.com out of it and the plaster guy's didn't want to warranty the plaster, I didn't think they would even have my information any longer but I got in touch with yourpoolbid.com and the next day we got a call from the owner saying that my plaster would be taken care of the next week. The plaster guy's where calling the next day trying to come and fix it the following day. I thought wow, when they came to fix it they appologized and begged me to give mike with yourpoolbid.com a call and tell him that I was totally satisfied and please let these guy's back on the service, I did that I don't know the outcome but we are extremely happy with the service that they provided
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis