Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2009, 07:32 AM

9 posts, read 21,727 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm moving to Memphis later this year, near the end of the summer. I'll be working near the airport and am asking for advice on where to live. I'm not opposed to commuting, and would like to live away from the actual city of Memphis, but I still have to rent for a couple years while I save for a house.

Initially, I'm looking at Olive Branch, it seems to be in my price range. Any other areas that I should be looking at? As long as its within about 45 minutes of the airport, that would be fine.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 07:54 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,376,311 times
Almost anywhere in the area will be less than 45 min to the airport. Commute times here are minimal. You could live in any suburb, and find apartments in a variety of prices. What is your price range? 1 bedroom, 2? A complex, or you'd rather privately rent a house or duplex?

Old 06-05-2009, 08:23 AM

9 posts, read 21,727 times
My price range is around 700-900 month. Prefer 2 or 3 bedroom place. As long as its in good neighborhood, I have no preference if its an apartment or house/duplex.

Thanks.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:14 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,376,311 times
For $900 you should be able to get a 2 bedroom in one of the suburbs. There are not many 3 bedroom apartments out there, it's uncommon. You could rent a 3 bedroom house though, but that would be well above $900. The suburbs of Germantown and Collierville are great, anything you find there would be top notch. Probably pricey though, but close to the airport. Bartlett and Cordova have more inexpensive places, and most everything is fine there, but further away. Southaven in Mississippi is okay, like Olive Branch. I don't know much about those 2 burbs, but I imagine they are pretty similar to Cordova/Bartlett in terms of safety, population, things to do, but would be closer to the airport.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:17 AM

235 posts, read 1,357,431 times
Well, in Memphis, duplexes aren't always in great areas (actually, near the airport in Oakville or Parkway Village) which are VERY scary areas.

I lived in Eastgate and moved to Germantown because I had a baby and my husband worked at the airport. I'd think that somewhere in Eastgate would be good for you....

I moved because my house in Eastgate was 3 bedroom....but I used one for an office and the other for a den.

My husband moved from Parkway Village (Winchester/Mendenhall area) in a duplex right off of Scottsdale (Cristil St) and his house was broken into 5 times and he was almost shot by one of his neighbors on his door-step.

S White Station Rd, Memphis, TN, 38117 - MLS ID#3171220 - Rentals real estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/S-White-Station-Rd_Memphis_TN_38117_1109328295 - broken link)

This house would roughly be 15 minutes if you take 240, 20 minutes if you took Winchester from Perkins or Mendenhall, and 25 minutes if you took Park to Getwell and then onto Winchester.

Wish you luck!

Old 06-05-2009, 10:22 AM

455 posts, read 1,559,272 times
After reading the first part of your message I was actually thinking of suggesting Olive Branch, then I saw you've already thought of it. It sounds like an excellent choice to me. And from what I hear, the property taxes are real low. You'll appreciate that once you buy a home, although I imagine it would be built into the price of rentals as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis