U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2009, 04:11 PM

2 posts, read 4,719 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,
my husband and I are moving to Memphis in 3 weeks! We have been to visit Memphis to pick places to live a number of times.
We want to rent and applied at a place close to Bartlett.
It called Birches of Countryside close off of Reese Road close to the intersection with Whitten Road.
We are still a bit anxious about crime in this area as we have 1 young child.
Could someone please reply with what they think about that neighborhood and/or apartment complex....how safe is it....how have you enjoyed/not enjoyed living there?
I will be working downtown so we thought this is close enough to downtown and looked safe enough....but we are not sure.
thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 07:12 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,746,763 times
I don't know about those apartments specifically, but that's a safe area. My son lives just south of there...and has for a number of years. FWIW, it's in the Bartlett area - but not actually in the Bartlett city limits. I believe it's in the City of Memphis....but it could still be in the county - I'm can't remember....

Old 06-08-2009, 11:48 AM

4 posts, read 7,909 times
I have lived in Bartlett for the past 9 years and, due to a job territory change, am moving to Greenville, SC in the next couple of months. When I moved here, I asked several of my cop friends where would be a good spot around Memphis to move. Their answers: Bartlett and Lakeland. We chose Bartlett becuase of the proximity to good private schools in the area.

I would not be overly concerned about crime in this area. Bartlett has a very strong police force and they have been aggressively moving to hold off the crime that is so prevalent in Raleigh (to the west) and in Memphis city proper (to the south). Still, there are a number of 'quick-change' scam artists working the businesses along Stage Road and be prepared to lock up your valuables in the trunk of your car when walking in parks or shopping. There are a number of 'smash-n-grab' car break-ins in the area, especially around the holidays.

In the last year, Bartlett put another police sub-station on the border of Raleigh and Bartlett along Stage Road. There are a LOT of current and retired Memphis PD and Sheriff's officers living around here. It is said that the response time for Bartlett PD is measured in scant minutes, not quarters of hours.

You can believe it too --- just don't speed in the city limits. They constantly radar along Bartlett Boulevard, Stage Road and a number of other high-traffic commuter streets and side streets. They LOVE to ticket....

Bartlett upsides: incorporated city, so no annexation into Memphis proper; not in Memphis, so no city taxes, no annual automobile testing, and close to Shelby Farms for walking/biking trails.

Bartlett downsides: It's not Collierville or Germantown, so some people will be snobs and try to be act more superior....

It's a good place to live and raise a family, enjoy it!

Old 06-08-2009, 12:34 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,071,307 times
The Birches of Countryside is not in Bartlett. It is in Memphis, and your children would go to Memphis City Schools.

Let me relate my one--and only--story regarding this complex. About two years ago when I was looking for a new apartment, I visited the Birches. The leasing agent walked us through the complex and showed us an apartment. It was nice enough. So on the walk back to the office, I asked "So how's the crime rate in this area?" The woman literally turned red, ended eye contact with me, and told me "I'm not authorized to talk about that. You'll have to call the Memphis PD for a crime report if you want to know about that." I pushed the issue a little by asking if there had been any violent crimes in the complex recently. She refused to answer again, and was bothered enough by my questions that she hurried me out the door.

Odd, odd experience. Based on that experience, I would never rent there in a million years. It might be a perfectly fine place, and it may well be the policy to not discuss crime, but the whole incident came off as awkward and told me to get as far away as I could.

I kept my Midtown apartment.

Best wishes.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:19 PM

3,371 posts, read 12,840,061 times
If you have a child who would be attending school, and this is Memphis City, then avoid it.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:38 PM

2 posts, read 4,719 times
THanks for all the replies so far.... Our child will be under a year and we probably would have moved by the time its time for her to go to school so school will not be an issue.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:26 AM

7 posts, read 12,765 times
Back in the late 90s I lived in the Birches for about 5 years. It was lovely then. It has changed and continues to change and I wouldn't move back there. I currently live just east of there in a house and am working toward moving. There are sad trends in Memphis and this neighborhood is sliding. I'd look north and East of there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis