Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 08:50 AM

29 posts, read 48,793 times

Advertisements

I don't know anything about Charlotte, but Memphis is a "low-information" town. If you are well-educated and energetic, you will be beating your head against the wall in no time - business experience be damned. A contract is just a point of departure for the Memphian to milk maximum advantage from you (although without malice), and don't think the law will help you out. A big part of the problem is the city government, but even if Herenton gets indicted (as expected for years now), it will take a long, long time to change the culture even a little. Another part of the problem is the atrocious school system: organizational and problem-solving abilities are rarely apparent, even among professionals. Anything goes in Memphis, which in a way adds to its mystique, but which rarely works out well for the newcomer. As someone said to me when I moved here 4 looong years ago - Memphis is NOT for amateurs. But many people who grew up here are devoted to it, so I guess that's something in its favor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 09:47 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,346,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemer View Post
I don't know anything about Charlotte, but Memphis is a "low-information" town. If you are well-educated and energetic, you will be beating your head against the wall in no time - business experience be damned. A contract is just a point of departure for the Memphian to milk maximum advantage from you (although without malice), and don't think the law will help you out. A big part of the problem is the city government, but even if Herenton gets indicted (as expected for years now), it will take a long, long time to change the culture even a little. Another part of the problem is the atrocious school system: organizational and problem-solving abilities are rarely apparent, even among professionals. Anything goes in Memphis, which in a way adds to its mystique, but which rarely works out well for the newcomer. As someone said to me when I moved here 4 looong years ago - Memphis is NOT for amateurs. But many people who grew up here are devoted to it, so I guess that's something in its favor.
i believe it was wm faulkner who said, "memphis aint a bad place for a city..."

Old 07-03-2009, 07:47 PM

91 posts, read 303,706 times
Default Reply

Memphis is on the downswing at this time in terms of businesses and residents because they have been hit hard by the economy. I just heard on the news thousands of people have moved out of the city and the local government is trying to find a way to bring people back. It you have a B.S. in logistics, consider Nike which has three major facilities in the Memphis area. Go to their site Nikebiz.com or Nike.com, either will show you what jobs are available. They also have the sports apparel market on lock because this is their stomping ground. No one can compete with them here because they have outlet stores that the locals are loyal to, I love them for that. Your wife would be successful as a hair stylist because that is on the upswing. There is no such thing as upscale hair salons in comparison with Atlanta. I know because I'm formerly a Chicago resident. There is another company called DCS Logistics in West Memphis Arkansas that's looking for a Logistics Manager so you may want to check that out. Please note that Memphis has the highest crime rate and African American teenagers are slaughtering each other at alarming rates. Just watch the First 48 and see for yourself. Memphis is on there more than any other city. It is no place for kids at all. If you live in Mississippi and work in Memphis that's your best bet. Desoto County (Olive Branch and Southaven, MS) has a great school system so you can check that out also online. I almost forgot. My husband and I are steppers and that is rare here. The clubs here do not cater to our age group and they do not compare at all to the Atlanta or Chicago club scene, however, they are trying. Good luck to you Carmikal and drop me a line anytime. I'll help you in any way I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmikal View Post
I'm an african-american male currently living in a atlanta suburb(douglasville) trying to decide where I would like to move my family. As of now, its between charlotte and memphis. I have family in the mempis area and I also have a B.S. in logistics so I believe that I should find a job using those 2 resources. My wife is a licensed hair sylist(specializing in multi-cultural hair). Currently, she is an apprentice at a upscale atlanta hair salon but she also has a B.S. in management. What I'm really interested in is tapping some of the untouched opportunities in whatever area we decide to move to. I do landscaping on the side and I own a upstart basketball apparel company. Just driving around Memphis I noticed that everyone isn't really into keeping their properties well maintained so I think I can hit them hard with my skills. My wife, wants her own salon and from what I noticed Memphis doesn't have a hands down, well-known, must-go-to multi-cultural salon. I also noticed many rows of open store-fronts that look like they could be upscale boutiques if someone invested.
I'm just trying to figure out why it seems that investors and/or more entreprenuers have not come to Memphis to hit it hard? What are the obstacles in opening businesses in Memphis? Are the business license fees extreme? Is the crime evident in all of Memphis or concentrated in a few areas? Are there enough things to do in Memphis that we won't exhaust in a couple of weeks? Are there many clubs or lounges to enjoy? What living areas should we avoid in our relocating search? I noticed that midtown and downtown locations are actually affordable in this city?? Why is that and is the crime very extreme in those areas? How easy is it to buy land in Memphis for commercial use? Does Memphis work on the good ol boy system(even if you're not qualified since you know buddy you're hired)? Answers to my questions and any other information would truly help me. Also if there is anyone out there that has moved to Memphis from Atlanta I'd love to hear you're opinion concerning the issues making that change.
Thanks

Old 10-12-2009, 05:56 AM

7 posts, read 23,970 times
Memphis is the only city where people - mainly my people African Americans - boast about being uneducated, but they have some of the top positions with companies and they make it hell for anyone else who does not think like they think; talk like they talk and drink and smoke what they drink and smoke.
It's terrible.
It's never about what or how much you know, but who you know that gets you over in Memphis. No wonder progressive and diversified businesses stay away from the city.
The last thing Memphis needs is another hair salon, chicken wing restaurant, custodial service paying low wages, nightclub or church to be honest.

Last edited by Motown_fan; 10-12-2009 at 06:01 AM.. Reason: For clarity

Old 10-12-2009, 07:18 AM

2,353 posts, read 5,374,930 times
Wonder how Carmikal and the Family are liking Charolette

Old 10-22-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadastwin View Post
Memphis is on the downswing at this time in terms of businesses and residents because they have been hit hard by the economy. I just heard on the news thousands of people have moved out of the city and the local government is trying to find a way to bring people back. It you have a B.S. in logistics, consider Nike which has three major facilities in the Memphis area. Go to their site Nikebiz.com or Nike.com, either will show you what jobs are available. They also have the sports apparel market on lock because this is their stomping ground. No one can compete with them here because they have outlet stores that the locals are loyal to, I love them for that. Your wife would be successful as a hair stylist because that is on the upswing. There is no such thing as upscale hair salons in comparison with Atlanta. I know because I'm formerly a Chicago resident. There is another company called DCS Logistics in West Memphis Arkansas that's looking for a Logistics Manager so you may want to check that out. Please note that Memphis has the highest crime rate and African American teenagers are slaughtering each other at alarming rates. Just watch the First 48 and see for yourself. Memphis is on there more than any other city. It is no place for kids at all. If you live in Mississippi and work in Memphis that's your best bet. Desoto County (Olive Branch and Southaven, MS) has a great school system so you can check that out also online. I almost forgot. My husband and I are steppers and that is rare here. The clubs here do not cater to our age group and they do not compare at all to the Atlanta or Chicago club scene, however, they are trying. Good luck to you Carmikal and drop me a line anytime. I'll help you in any way I can.

my bet: the pyramid bass pro deal is completely tied in to the former king cotton/food rebrand that was/is a memphis-based company. bass pro will sell all of the food solutions brand in its new world-wide location in the pyramid. nothing in it for me, but it is interesting to see so much publically invested money taken from the public. afterall, a vacant facility that, imo, could have been marketed by competent public officials in other cities of comparable size, happens to languish on the market for lack of finding a "suitable" tenant, finds a purchaser. proposed purchaser sells the food products made by the memphis food company that rebranded about four years ago---about the same time the pyramid was vacated, suggestions were being made for buyers, etc., etc., etc. and so it goes. competent business people and local politicians working for the public? the public's property and trust given away by the politicians to private business, and now the public will probably have to use @ least $17+ million to take care of alleged code/retro needs.

i think it would be interesting to see who gets the spoils of the market that allowed the horizon, the goodwyn towers, and other local real estate to be sold at auction for virtually pennies. first tn was one buyer---who serves on these boards of directors? who are the "private" investors, who seem to get federal, state, and "private" money? put me in the game. i can sell a load of groceries---upscale restaurant and catering. i have done it for years, but w/ public money i can afford several experimental upgrades.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:57 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,374,930 times
Intresting take Chef.....

So you trying to say the pyramid will become a sausage factory?

Old 10-23-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
Intresting take Chef.....

So you trying to say the pyramid will become a sausage factory?

no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis