Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 10:12 AM

845 posts, read 2,542,623 times

Advertisements

The only stats I have about WS are for the entire school. A certain part of the school "the non optional part" can not be on the failing list. Stats are for the entire school and WS has never been on the failing list. The optional program at WS is where you will find the kids making 33's on the ACT, but the remaining student body is comparable to any school in the county system with very good kids.

Check out this link for stats

Tennessee Department of Education - Report Card - Profile

Last edited by Tigertate; 06-18-2009 at 10:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 10:23 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,378,224 times
Like you said, it's impossible to tell by those stats. I think the average ACT was 24...so if the Optional kids are averaging 33, the rest of the school must be averaging significantly lower than 24.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigertate View Post
The only stats I have about WS are for the entire school. A certain part of the school "the non optional part" can not be on the failing list. Stats are for the entire school and WS has never been on the failing list. The optional program at WS is where you will find the kids making 33's on the ACT, but the remaining student body is comperable to any school in the county system with very good kids.

Check out this link for stats

Tennessee Department of Education - Report Card - Profile

Old 06-18-2009, 10:30 AM

I don't think they are averaging 33's, I am just saying those are the really smart kids. I would bet that the average ACT in the optional program is probably between 25 and 28, with the remainig student body averaging near the state average of 20 to 21, which is not bad.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:49 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,378,224 times
It's definitely better than the rest of Memphis! WSHS is the best HS in the city, for a number of reasons. But I'm not sure I'd say it's one of the best in the state. My only point is that people tend to think that because the Optional program is so good, that the entire school must be full of outstanding, intellectual, serious students. But, that isn't the case.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:06 AM

232 posts, read 988,717 times
I used to live in the WS school district and moved before my kids ever attended. One reason we bought our house in the area was to be zoned for the WS district. It keeps the resale value up, and that part of east Memphis is full of nice people, good neighborhoods and everything you need is very convenient.

My question is this..... Just how many kids can be accepted in to the optional program at White Station. It seems that every newcomer to this board gets directed to enter their kids in the program. On top of that, there must be hundreds upon hundreds of local residents that are not zoned in the district, and they too are applying. It just seems that that would be way too many kids in one school's optional program. Am I missing something?

PS--my kids attend county schools and we are very happy.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:41 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,315,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigertate View Post
The only stats I have about WS are for the entire school. A certain part of the school "the non optional part" can not be on the failing list. Stats are for the entire school and WS has never been on the failing list. The optional program at WS is where you will find the kids making 33's on the ACT, but the remaining student body is comparable to any school in the county system with very good kids.
Two years ago, White Station High School was one of a few dozen Memphis City Schools on the state's failing list. Your assertion that it "has never been on the failing list" is simply incorrect.

Here's a link to an MCS press release bragging that WSHS is no longer considered a failing school by the state: http://strivingschools.com/# (Click on the first news item on the list.) The press release is also available on MCS' website at http://www.mcsk12.net/newsreleases08.asp. Scroll down to July 2008 press releases.

Last edited by strumpeace; 06-18-2009 at 11:51 AM..

Old 06-18-2009, 05:34 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
WSHS non-optional (standard) program is okay, but not great. If I had to choose between a typical county school and WSHS standard program, the county schools would probably have the edge. Maybe.
The school is located in a good area, and generally the student body is not nearly as bad as the typical Memphis school, but the school is not perfect of course. There are plenty of unmotivated students in the standard program, just like there are in any other public school.
WSHS has been on the failing list. It's my understanding that part of those scores reflect the unfortunate fact that the remedial students at WSHS are held to the same standards as the rest of the student body because of the way NCLB is structured. There are also some teachers and classes in the standard program that could and should be doing a better job. There is not always as much 'motivation' as there is in the optional program. WSHS has had a new principal in the last two years, so hopefully this issue is, or soon will, be turning around.

Average ACT scores for the optional students I would guesstimate hover around 28-30, based on conversations with DS and his classmates. Hearsay, so take it FWIW.
WSHS is one of the top schools in the state in a number of areas, Nat'l Merit, Newsweek top schools, various academic competitions, etc. I think G'town High is the only other public school in the Memphis area that usually makes the same sorts of ranking that WSHS does.

Bowyer- there aren't as many kids turned away from the program as you might think. Part of that is the fact that MCS does have such a bad rep, and most city parents of means do choose the private school path. What's left are students whose parents believe in making a comittment to public schools and enroll their kids at Ridgeway and WSHS, or parents like me who don't have the luxury of being able to afford private school so we do whatever it takes to get our kids into the best public school we can. Sadly, not as many of those types of parents as you might think either.

Not everyone moving to Memphis wants to live in the suburbs. Not everyone living in the city can afford private schools. I figure it's nice to let people moving from other areas know there is another alternative to consider.

A last bit of information that few people are aware of is that WSHS also has an excellent program for hearing impaired students.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:37 PM

738 posts, read 2,576,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3southerners View Post
....The only (and I repeat--ONLY) place I would send my child to school or live is either Collierville or Germantown...
Ditto.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
Two years ago, White Station High School was one of a few dozen Memphis City Schools on the state's failing list. Your assertion that it "has never been on the failing list" is simply incorrect.

Here's a link to an MCS press release bragging that WSHS is no longer considered a failing school by the state: Striving Schoools :: Memphis City Schools (Click on the first news item on the list.) The press release is also available on MCS' website at Memphis City Schools - Every Child. Every Day. College Bound.. Scroll down to July 2008 press releases.

Are you talking about the year to year NCLB stats? A school can be on that list if they fail to improve scores a certain %. That does not mean that the school is a failing school.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:54 PM

340 posts, read 1,314,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3southerners View Post
....The only (and I repeat--ONLY) place I would send my child to school or live is either Collierville or Germantown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColliervilleMom View Post
Ditto.

Wow, the Collierville/Germantown snobbery is out today! While I think Germantown and Collierville are fine areas (and Germantown much more so than Collierville....it is no doubt the best suburb in the area in many ways for those who can afford it), it's not as if Bartlett/Lakeland/Arlington, Tipton County, or Desoto County don't have something to offer to the family seeking suburbia or the student in public school.

I suppose it might not measure up to the standards of some, but you really wouldn't let your child live or go to school in Bartlett, Arlington or Lakeland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis