Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 02:09 PM

104 posts, read 362,747 times

Advertisements

Nice idea. Given the geology and geography, Memphis would be better served by commuter rail and commuter bus than subway though. This is not a centralized town, and if you notice subways tend to flourish in towns that are.

In fact, putting on my thinking cap some missing conveniences are:

- Airport to downtown/N. MS and East Memphis shuttles, like Supershuttle (for those who have ridden Supershuttle before)

- East Memphis to downtown shuttles for weekend partying, concerts, etc.

- N. MS to downtown shuttles (see above)

- Commuter rail connecting the business centers of the Memphis area (Midtown, Frazier, Whitehaven, Hickory Hill, Germantown, Southaven, etc.)

These are all shovel ready and doable NOW, all it takes is city leadership with a little vision.

Ex-Pat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 03:17 PM

232 posts, read 985,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nomadic4me View Post
I'm sure Obama could throw it into his "stimulus package".
Really, what's a few more billion dollars?!?!

I hope they finish hwy 385. They did open the next phase from 64 to Macon Rd. Only 8 more miles and it will be done. 3-4 years is what I have seen.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:42 PM

455 posts, read 1,550,945 times
Aside from the merits of this idea or lack thereof, there is one related thing I'm ready to support.

Given the past history, it's time for Memphians to join together and petition for the absolute right to vote on large scale public funded building projects before they are pushed through.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:29 PM

4,396 posts, read 4,891,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowyer View Post
Really, what's a few more billion dollars?!?!
Wouldn't that be few hundred billion. Tunneling in this ground won't be cheap.

But the commuter bus is something that would be nice. North MS to downtown would be great for my wife and I'm sure hundreds if not a few thousand others. We already have 6 lanes of road to get into Memphis so someone knows how many people travel into Mempis to work.

-Robert

Old 06-18-2009, 05:35 PM

738 posts, read 2,567,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginsaw View Post
Aside from the merits of this idea or lack thereof, there is one related thing I'm ready to support.

Given the past history, it's time for Memphians to join together and petition for the absolute right to vote on large scale public funded building projects before they are pushed through.
AMEN Ginsaw! Can you believe Memphis city council gave themselves pay raises, when all of us are learning to live with huge pay/benefit cuts, and thankful for the jobs we are able to keep?!

Old 06-18-2009, 07:30 PM

79 posts, read 280,595 times
be few hundred billion. Tunneling in this ground won't be cheap.

But the commuter bus is something that would be nice. North MS to downtown would be great for my wife and I'm sure hundreds if not a few thousand others. We already have 6 lanes of road to get into Memphis so someone knows how many people travel into Mempis to work.>>

Except for the tobacco spit your wife from the MS rednecks that she would have to wipe off of her every day it would be OK.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:09 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,338,153 times
Arrow the thrill is gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2 View Post
be few hundred billion. Tunneling in this ground won't be cheap.

But the commuter bus is something that would be nice. North MS to downtown would be great for my wife and I'm sure hundreds if not a few thousand others. We already have 6 lanes of road to get into Memphis so someone knows how many people travel into Mempis to work.>>

Except for the tobacco spit your wife from the MS rednecks that she would have to wipe off of her every day it would be OK.
agian, that looks like a pretty nice idea, and certainly, it would be convenient to all in north mississippi suburbs. my question; however, would be if any mississippian wants to pay for the service. seems to me, many in that direction want the thrill but never pay...it is time that is GONE!

Last edited by kingchef; 06-20-2009 at 01:48 PM..

Old 06-20-2009, 01:45 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,338,153 times
Exclamation what's in it for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColliervilleMom View Post
AMEN Ginsaw! Can you believe Memphis city council gave themselves pay raises, when all of us are learning to live with huge pay/benefit cuts, and thankful for the jobs we are able to keep?!

too, most of us quickly realize that some luxuries have to be deleted from our budgets at this time. the council "labors" over swimming pools and libraries. they are disposable in this economic climate. strange that police protection would even be considered as a cutback. outrageous! another point, it seems that everything is constrained by studies---studies that costs several dollars---and, yet, those studies are not seriously considered, nor their recommendations implemented; e.g. outdoor public skate park downtown, the opening of traffic to mid-america mall (listed as an absolute critical necessity for downtown central business growth), and the targeted "real" needs of the development of the aereopolis concept. paying for consultants and using little or none of their consults is more than counter-productive: it is fiscally irresponsible and insane.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:34 PM

496 posts, read 1,690,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGameHHH View Post
I have created some plans for a Memphis subway system. The train will mostly be underground, similar to the New York City system. I have first chosen some major areas/intersections of the city for starting stations. The train will go from the downtown area and as far east to Arlington. The train will run throughout the entire city and into the suburbs. Here are some early station locations I have come up with.

Downtown
Beale St/Main St (Near Peabody Place and Fed Ex Forum)
Popular Ave/N 2nd St (Near Cook Convention Center)

Midtown
North Parkway/N McLean Blvd
2140 Union Ave

North
Frayser Blvd/N Hollywood St
Austin Pea Hwy (Near Raleigh Springs Mall)

Whitehaven
Winchester/Millbranch
Shelby Drive/Elvis Presley (Near Southland Mall)
A station on Elvis Presley Blvd (Near Graceland)

Hickory Hill
Kirby Parkway/Winchester
Winchester/Hickory Hill Rd

East
1398 Sycamore View Rd
N Germantown Pkwy/Hwy 64 (Near Wolfchase Mall)

This is a quick plan I have come up with. I would like to know if this would be a great addition to the city. It could bring jobs, improve the economy, and reduce car traffic. I would like everyone's opinions on this, thus if I can complete the system, I am looking foward to getting word to the City Council.

I think it's a great idea! I say go for it! Oh and I love your username by the way! I have loved Triple H since I was in the 6th grade but that's a topic for another thread! LOL

Old 06-22-2009, 12:51 AM

45 posts, read 196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2 View Post
We already pay for your citizens' healthcare, now you want us to pay for your transportation too. Build your own (
Are you stupid? Southaven, Horn Lake, and Olive Branch are just as much a part of Memphis as Collierville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis