Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2007, 06:22 PM

3 posts, read 12,446 times

Advertisements

I have been doing some more research and I have started to think about living downtown. I guess my question is, for a 22 year old, is this an ok idea. Also, what would be the best apartment building to live in. I want to be in a fun and safe area. My max I would pay for rent would be 1000 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 06:53 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,379,478 times
People in their 20's and early 30's are the main occupants of downtown. It is the hip place to be now.

As for apartments...that's hard. So much has turned to condo. Most good apts have waiting lists. No. 10 Main, Pembroke, Peabody Place, Gayoso..those are the best off the top of my head. Right on Main. For $1000 you can get a great 1 BR or a smaller 2 BR downtown, easy.

There is also Mud ISland, but that is more family oriented and you would still hae to drive a mile or two to downtown.

Old 04-19-2007, 03:25 PM

10 posts, read 82,288 times
If you don't find anything on Main Street which may be somewhat difficult due to the waiting lists, The Echelon at the Ballpark is a great place to live and it's a couple of blocks from Main St. It's within your price range, right behind the Autozone ballpark and in walking distance to Beale Street, The Fed Ex Forum and anything else happening downtown. It's right in the center of the action. There are nice apartments on Mud Island but you would have to drive about 5 minutes to the action of downtown, but it's pretty there. The apartments are surrounded by some very nice and expensive homes.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:02 PM

I lived in Echelon and hated it. it was loud. LOUD all the time with the drunk people at night, the thug people cruising at night with their stereos up, and the people yelling on the street...the sound echoed up so loud. The staff was really ditzy too, and basically useless (other than the fix-it guys, they were great). The apts were cheaply made, things broke, fell apart...way too much money for what it's worth. There are better places downtown.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:49 AM

7 posts, read 29,188 times
I recommend the apartments at south bluff. Easy access to trolley and all activities downtown. gated and safe.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:09 AM

Anyone calling downtown a slum is laughable. Downtown is THE area of Memphis for tourism, clubs, bars, high class restaurants, $500k condos, etc. A slum? Ha. Same with midtown...it's an OLD OLD area of town, so yes, there are some homes that are falling apart and haven't been taken care of. But there are also MANY million dollar homes in the various national historical neighborhoods we have. I live in Central Gardens....a slum? That's ridiculous. 3 bedroom homes that sell for $400k are not slums.

I am the first to admit the many of Memphis' faults. But anyone who gets on here and badmouths the entire city, claiming everything is horrible, everything is bad....they are just ignorant people looking to whine about something. 10 year olds make generalizations like that, not educated adults. Anyone who truly knows Memphis cannot possibly say that downtown and midtown are ghetto slums.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:20 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Pearlbob is right on. I think Memphis has one of the most vibrant and hippest downtowns in the country. Midtown is also a hot area. Homes don't stay on the market very long in midtown. I absolutely loved the 5 years I lived in Memphis and always enjoy going back. It's definitely got more than its share of crime and slum areas, but to call Memphis a "ghetto slum" is ridiculous and incredibly misleading.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:26 AM

Exactly! It's the same in many major cities...take D.C. for example. They have an extremely high crime rate in that area, however it's our nation's capital and senators, congressmen, etc all live there. So obviously there must be some very good areas of D.C., in addition to the areas with the crime. Also NOLA (before the storm at least) had a very, very high crime rate but also had a wonderful garden district and million dollar homes.

So of course, there are good and bad to every city. If you must generalize, then of course Memphis has much higher crime than say, Billings, Montana. But with every major urban city, there are various areas of town (downtown, midtown, orange mound, nutbush, whitehaven, east memphis, hickory hill, etc) and some area very good, some are very bad. You can't just generalize a huge city into one statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: