Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2009, 02:12 PM

14 posts, read 90,182 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'll be moving to Memphis this weekend. The TN bar is on July 28-29. So I'd like to lock in that last week. I was wondering if anyone had favorite place around memphis to study? Preferably near downtown but I'm flexible.

I know a public library may be an obvious choice; but, I'd like to avoid being around alot of loud kids out of school for the summer. I'd also like a place that has extended hours (Maybee till Midnight). Is there a public library near downtown.

Any suggestions will help thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 02:44 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times
There used to be a library downtown...is it still there? I'm going blank on that. The main branch is on Poplar, sort of east of the midtown area. It's large, you can find plenty of nooks and crannies where they are no screaming children (but I understand what you mean).

Old 07-15-2009, 03:24 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,635 times
I would suggest venturing down Central a few miles to the U of Memphis library, which is typically pretty quiet -- especially during the summer months. Lots of study space there.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:45 PM

340 posts, read 1,314,163 times
I don't think the downtown library is open anymore. It wasn't much of a library any way, more of a day camp for the homeless. I wouldn't recommend it for studying any time even if it were still open. I can't think of any other public space downtown that would be good for studying because most places that would be open to the public wouldn't be quiet

I definitely agree with Strumpeace about the U of M library. When I was a student it was open until around midnight most nights (this was before the move to the fancier, newer library), it was quiet in the evenings, and in the summer I'm sure it is even quieter. Back then you had to have a student ID to get up into the stacks but anyone could use the common areas on the ground floor. I'd give them a call before you go by, but if they will let you in and are open late enough I think it would suit your needs (other than not being downtown).

Old 07-15-2009, 10:30 PM

14 posts, read 90,182 times
Thanks Everyone. I'll definetly try the U of M and the main library and see which is better. I heard the lawschool was moving Downtown to an old post office. Do you know if it's open yet?

Old 07-16-2009, 07:10 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times
It should be open for classes this fall. (Or is it 2010?) I'm pretty sure it's this year that the law school will be open. There are also lots of little coffee shops and restaurants downtown and in midtown that are (relatively) quiet and I see people studying. Not sure if you are the "coffee shop" type of student though

Old 07-16-2009, 12:12 PM

845 posts, read 2,541,336 times
Totally agree on the U of M library. Check out the "Reserve Room" where teachers leave materials for their students to pick up and review. It was my study station of choice when I was a student. That area is very quiet.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:26 AM

235 posts, read 1,357,040 times
The Hollis F Price Library is in "Southside" near Elmwood Cemetery... it is 2 miles away from downtown (about 5 minutes from downtown).

Old 07-19-2009, 04:05 PM

7 posts, read 85,617 times
Republic Coffee at Walnut Grove & Tillman is open til midnight and has free wifi. It's usually fairly quiet... although it's not the best place if you require complete silence as there is usually background music, coffee machine, etc noise. Headphones...

The UT med school library will let you in without a student ID provided you sign in and let them make a copy of your driver's license. Even if there are other people around it is always dead silent. It's on Madison across from the Medplex so it's pretty much downtown. There is a parking garage right there if you are willing to pay a few bucks. No idea their hours but a quick visit to their website would tell you for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis