Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 01:18 PM

845 posts, read 2,529,243 times

Advertisements

Do not be so quick to judge Whitehaven. There are some pretty nice parts of Whitehaven. Some may not feel comfortable with the demographics of the area, but in general most of the area is full a law abiding middle class citizens who pay their taxes and take care of their property. Many of the neighborhoods that are behind Graceland are pretty nice. There are also areas near Horn Lake Rd. and Holmes that are very upscale gated type neighborhoods. My advice would be to stay away from large apartment complexes in the area. That is where most of the criminal element can be found.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 01:33 PM

30 posts, read 57,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Boogie Woogie View Post
In my opinion, Google Earth has done a great job with Memphis, although they missed the street where I went to elementary school. They actually went to some really rough neighborhoods in Memphis. It seems that they did most of their work very early in the morning, when there were not that many cars on the road.
Lol and it was too early for the people who live off the government to get up and start drinking.

I think it's pretty easy to tell which areas to avoid and those that are okay. I stick to the 'whiter' areas because they are much safer and cleaner. When I see a bunch of kids standing at a street corner at 1pm drinking 40oz drinks, I avoid those areas.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:11 PM

1 posts, read 22,522 times
I have lived in Memphis all my life. I trv all over the eastern US north to south. In the Md. area now Memphis is bad but I don't think it compare to Baltimore, Orlando. Don't want to even go to these places let alone live there.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:37 PM

57 posts, read 351,495 times
My GPS keeps taking me around pear avenue/Thomas street area on the way to mud island.. would you generally avoid taking the north entrance to mud island at night?

Old 08-27-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie84 View Post
My GPS keeps taking me around pear avenue/Thomas street area on the way to mud island.. would you generally avoid taking the north entrance to mud island at night?

That area is mostly industrial, but it does look pretty bad when driving through. I would probably take another route. You can easily take Poplar Ave. to Front St. to Auction, or take North Parkway (which will turn into Auction) to Front St.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 22,399 times
I'll live in Memphis after November and i'm planning to rent an apartment next to Le Bonheur Hospital area.
Is it a sefe place?
thanks

Old 08-31-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erico Slama View Post
I'll live in Memphis after November and i'm planning to rent an apartment next to Le Bonheur Hospital area.
Is it a sefe place?
thanks

What is the name of the apartments? That area is generally OK if you are not too skiddish about homeless people and stuff. In that location you are getting very close to some not to good areas (North Memphis) if you venture too far north of Poplar. You are also close to several Homeless shelters and stuff. That park near Manassas and Poplar is full of homeless folk all day. It can get very unsightly.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:36 PM

1 posts, read 22,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasTR View Post
Lol and it was too early for the people who live off the government to get up and start drinking.

I think it's pretty easy to tell which areas to avoid and those that are okay. I stick to the 'whiter' areas because they are much safer and cleaner. When I see a bunch of kids standing at a street corner at 1pm drinking 40oz drinks, I avoid those areas.
Just complete racism.......

Old 06-02-2010, 03:43 AM

8 posts, read 49,403 times
My advice to you: stay out of Memphis. I'm not sure why you are moving there; could be business or whatever, the reason is not my concern. I'm just going to tell you that if you want to live comfortably around the Western, Tennessee area (and be close to Memphis), move to a town on the outskirts (Such as Eads). The only parts of Memphis that I feel safe in are Germantown, Poplar, and a select few parts of Bartlett.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWasEasy View Post
My advice to you: stay out of Memphis. I'm not sure why you are moving there; could be business or whatever, the reason is not my concern. I'm just going to tell you that if you want to live comfortably around the Western, Tennessee area (and be close to Memphis), move to a town on the outskirts (Such as Eads). The only parts of Memphis that I feel safe in are Germantown, Poplar, and a select few parts of Bartlett.

You must be a very fearful person. I know that there are horrible places in Memphis that you would not even want to drive through, but there are many parts of Memphis that are quite safe. What exactly is it that you are afraid of? Germantown is a suburb, Bartlett is a suburb, and Poplar is a street that runs through Memphis, Germantown, and Collierville. Saying you feel safe in Poplar is a little confusing since Poplar is a street and not a town. I am sure you would not feel safe near the intersections of Poplar and Cleveland, or Poplar and Manassas. Check out the map in the sticky thread that maps the good and bad areas of Memphis so you can be more familiar with the different parts of town and realize that all of Memphis is not bad.

//www.city-data.com/forum/memph...hborhoods.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis