Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 07:12 PM

37 posts, read 116,741 times

Advertisements

Our family may soon be relocating to the Memphis area for work. My wife is a stay at home mother, and we have 2 kids, a son that is 6 (going to 1st grade) and a daughter that will soon be 4.

I have done an extensive amount of research on this site regarding the better places to live, and Collierville appears to fit what we are seeking better than Germantown or Olive Branch. This is totally based on what I can tell via the web and talking to people at my company there.

In terms of neighborhoods, our present one has a community pool, playgrounds, and soccer field for the kids. Everyone is wonderful and there are always buckets of social activities going on, especially for the mothers that stay home with their kids.

Does something similar exist in Collierville? I suppose this needs to be framed out a little better, the neighborhood aspect of it first. I really don't want a home with a pool, just added expense to maintain.

I'm willing to spend up to $300K on a home, not sure if that helps out or not.

Any advice that you all might be able to offer would be greatly appreciated. My wife is not dealing with this probable move well, but if we can find a neighborhood with kids and activities she will fit right in with her bubbly personality. Good public schools are a must, and based on what I can tell those in the Collierville area are very good - the kids score well on standardized examinations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 07:30 PM
BWM

60 posts, read 153,058 times
Based on what you said, Collierville would work out fine, but don't rule out Germantown. Both are nice suburbs. Not sure about the difference in the schools.

I am not impressed with Olive Branch. Plus, Mississippi has a state income tax and Tennessee doesn't.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:42 PM

I flew over last week and had a chance (in the rain) to drive through Southaven and then Olive Branch, where Goodman Rd intersects HWY78. I didn't have a chance to travel south on 78 to check everything out as it was getting dark. Many of the newer neighborhoods I drove through are half complete, with some homes that appeared to be framed and bricked then abandoned. A few years out, they will be nice places to live, but I wouldn't chance it right now with purchasing anything in a neighborhood like that.

Being in decent proximity to casual shopping is also important, we frequent Costco at least 1 time a month to stock up on meat and non-perishables, so that is a factor in the equation. Based on what I could tell, living in the OB area would be a nice trot to Costco that is in the Germantown area (I think).

Thanks for your feedback, I hope to be able to spend a few quality days there with a realtor that knows the area well so I we can be in a better position to start making some decisions.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:58 PM

51 posts, read 153,336 times
We moved to Collierville this month and we love it, you can do fine with 300K, great parks, schools, it is very suburban but that's what you want right?

Old 08-07-2009, 07:34 PM

Exactly, that is precisely what I am looking for. My first priority is family, so finding a good place to live with lots of kids and constructive activities for them all is very important (as-is good schools).

I'm just ready to get there and get my son in school, which I believe starts later this month. I'd prefer that he be present for day 1, rather than going in a few weeks late.

Any rec's on neighborhoods to look within or stay away from would be greatly appreciated. We are simple folks, don't need the best of the best, but do prefer to live in a good family environment with people that have values similar to ours (hard to judge something like this I know).

Thanks

Old 08-07-2009, 08:37 PM

232 posts, read 988,415 times
You will love Collierville, great for families. I lived there for 6 years, moved 1.5 years ago to Lakeland, which I like a lot, too.

The local Costco is a mere 5-10 minutes from anywhere in Collierville...bonus! A few good restaurants are in the city and just about all of the fast food and chain restaurants, Wal-MArt, Home Depot, dance/gymnastics, karate classes available, etc, etc.. Great police force LOW crime rate.

For $300k you can get a very nice house, and at that price (or even less), a very nice neighborhood full of kids....typical suburban Americana! I work in Collierville and will try to get the names of subdivision that are nice and in your range.

I have had offices in Southaven and Olive Branch, but I would choose Collierville over either. MS also has a state income tax, TN does not.

All of the schools are great in Collierville, too. There isn't one I would not send my own kids to. There is a great water park at the end of Byhalia (north end), Johnson Park that also has a fishing lake and nice playground. The neighborhood sorrounding the park is definitely worth looking at. Check out Realtor.com and plug your price range and 38017 ZIP code. If you have questions about an area, I'd be happy to help!

Good luck

Last edited by Bowyer; 08-07-2009 at 08:47 PM..

Old 08-08-2009, 12:52 PM

Bowyer - Thanks for the information, I really appreciate it! Also, any info on good neighborhoods that you can provide would be awesome.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:57 PM

738 posts, read 2,575,260 times
Hey NC Man, welcome!! A lot of Collierville neighborhoods don't have big common space like that. I've found that a lot of people will get a social membership to a club like Ridgeway or WinDyke for their pool and tennis courts.

You may want to look at Halle Plantation, they have a pool, a swim team, activities, and lots of common areas and walking trails. Estanula trails is really nice, but I don't know if they have a pool. Braystone Park has everything you want, but you may have to up your price range a bit.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:45 AM

Thanks on the neighborhood recc's! I'll do some searching to see what might be available in these neighborhoods.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:10 AM

738 posts, read 2,575,260 times
If you come up with a neighborhood not on the list, post it, I'm sure one of us will be familiar with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis