U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2009, 08:38 AM

4 posts, read 6,760 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to Memphis in October. Will be looking for a rental. Professional late 30's single male working near I-240 and Poplar Ave.

From first look, looks like Midtown, East Memphis/CY would be good areas to check out.

Should I look at Germantown/Collierville, or is this all families?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 08:45 AM

3,371 posts, read 12,715,927 times
Germantown and Collierville are very nice wealthy suburbs. But if you are single and young, I don't think you'd be happy there. I'm sure there are young people, but if you are the type of person who likes to meet people and go out, I think being inside the Memphis area would be better. Downtown, midtown, and even east memphis has a lot going on. The area around Poplar and 240 out east is good and there is lot out there. Lots of professional young people downtown though, but then you'd be commuting out east. Not a bad drive, you'd be going opposite of rush hour traffic.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:07 AM

Thanks, Bob.

Is it mainly street parking in midtown and east memphis? Do rentals downtown usually have their own parking?

Is there public transportation from midtown/east memphis to downtown?

Old 08-26-2009, 09:19 AM

Downtown you'd likely have a garage to park in, where you pay monthly. There isn't much street parking (our downtown is tiny). If you live on the island, it is like a suburb...houses with garages, and complexes with big lots. In the south part of downtown, there are some condos with their own free garages, and complexes with lots/garages too.

Midtown is a residential area. So there are houses with garages/driveways. Rentals in midtown are mostly in houses that are converted into duplexes, triplexes, etc. So there may be a driveway with a parking area, or you may have to park on the street - but it's residential.

There is the MATA bus system here, but it's mostly ridden by the very poor, people who simply cannot afford to own a car. I would never ride on a bus here, that is my opinion. Not to mention they are not too reliable from what I have read everywhere. Memphis is a car city. People here own cars and use them to get everywhere. People don't use public transport, no one walks, no one rides bikes...that is a generalization, but it's more or less true. It's not like other big cities where professional middle to upper class people use public transportation to get around.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:50 AM

Thanks. Sorry to be piecemeal, but I assume that of the areas we mentioned, they are more or less the same in getting to the airport?

Old 08-26-2009, 10:08 AM

Midtown would be closest to the airport, but it's all close. Our airport is within the city, just south of the middle section of the city. Easily accessed by the interstate loop and several major roads.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:41 PM

50 posts, read 245,990 times
It's so hit or miss on the good and bad areas, though. I really feel that "Midtown" is a bit vague and could potentially land you in a bad area without you knowing it. On the same note I will say that I'm not the best to give advice on which areas are good and bad in Midtown, but I do know that there are some that I'd be OK with and some I wouldn't. So I'm just throwing that out there that you can't just say it's all OK.

On the other hand, I can tell you that the neighborhood I live in is OK and the house we're in will soon be available. However, we are at Houston Levee Rd and Hwy 64 in northeast Cordova. We like getting out and going downtown, too, but the interstate makes it an easy drive for those events without us having to live there. The drive to Poplar/240 wouldn't be bad, I think. I drive to Collierville every day and my wife drives downtown. Sure, everyone wants their drive shorter, but ours aren't bad when we consider where there is to live between here and there. We chose to live here. That's all I'm saying.

Good luck, and hit me up if you want to know anything about this house. The owner is taking applications now.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:50 PM

Thanks for the heads up. My start date is not set in stone yet, so it's hard to do anything definate.

I'll be travelling light (no furniture) and although I'm more at the house stage, it may be more practical to fill an apartment/condo first. I'd love to swing a house if I could - it's filling it up that's the concern.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:49 PM

235 posts, read 1,280,403 times
Ya... check out the 38119 zip (PEARLBOB: this is the Poplar and 240 area!!!!) and maybe the 38117. I would not leave to the airport before 7:00am or after 4:00pm from midtown. To get to the airport, you go straight through either the eastern part of South Memphis or Orange Mound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>