Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 07:20 PM

30 posts, read 80,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenseven View Post
To be honest, the foods offered in KFC and McDonald in China are much better than here.
They are tailored to satisfy our needs, Aha.
Good to know.

Next time I'm in Beijing, I'll order a 3 piece.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 02:43 PM

11 posts, read 26,745 times
Default Hands down best Chinese in town.....

I'm too tired of reading all of the posts without actual suggestions to continue through 4-5pages so I apologize if someone already set the record straight. I have lived in San Francisco and New York and it took me a few years to find the right spots.

Best Chinese in Memphis: New Asia on Poplar Avenue near Dogwood. If you want authentic Chinese they will give you a different menu!

Other Suggestions: If you can't get to a good chinese spot there are a few decent Thai restaurants and if you want Indian I suggest India Palace on Poplar in Midtown.

Lobster King on Cleveland in Midtown used to be the best Dim Sum in town but I've given up there....

In my opinion Pei Wei doesn't count as Chinese.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:33 AM

173 posts, read 443,880 times
Asian Palace. 2 locations (one on Covington Pike, I think, the other on Exeter). My family is Asian. We have a tightknit Asian circle. We hold our Christmas/holiday/reunion/birthday dinners there. I see other Asians we don't know there. Honestly, it's a tragedy that it's not better known, that I haven't seen it just browsing this thread. Maybe others have had poor experiences. They provide the several-course dinners. Order the roast duck, there's actual meat on the bones. When I visit, I get some of that to bring home. Also like the rice noodle rolls (not going to try to pinyin it, but they look like skinnier, longer, flimsier egg rolls) with meat inside.

Nam King. I think there is 1 location left in Millington. Sometimes we have dinner there too.

Have tried some of the others, if it's a new place just opened in the last 5 years or so, probably haven't tried it.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,560 times
Fu Lin on Germantown Parkway is the best Chinese I have had. They have two menus - one of Americanized Chinese, and one authentic menu. Ask for the authentic menu. On it are some absolute delights. I love love love the ginger chicken. We go there often.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:25 AM

183 posts, read 801,586 times
I enjoy the Panda in the Village Shops in Germantown next to Schnuck's. It is great food and that place is always packed! Also, they are open late and on holidays when other Asian places aren't.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:24 PM

173 posts, read 443,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneyBlu View Post
I enjoy the Panda in the Village Shops in Germantown next to Schnuck's. It is great food and that place is always packed! Also, they are open late and on holidays when other Asian places aren't.

Is that a Panda Express?

Old 09-23-2009, 11:51 PM

183 posts, read 801,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clobbersaurus01 View Post
Is that a Panda Express?
Lol! No, it isn't a Panda Express. Good question, though!

No, it is a great, little Chinese place with some fabulous dishes. From what I understand, it is quite authentic. The dumplings are to die for! They deliver too!

Old 02-15-2011, 05:07 PM

58 posts, read 130,780 times
A quick somewhat related question. Where is the highest concentration of Chiinese / Asians in the Memphis area?

Old 02-15-2011, 08:41 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,338,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clobbersaurus01 View Post
Asian Palace. 2 locations (one on Covington Pike, I think, the other on Exeter). My family is Asian. We have a tightknit Asian circle. We hold our Christmas/holiday/reunion/birthday dinners there. I see other Asians we don't know there. Honestly, it's a tragedy that it's not better known, that I haven't seen it just browsing this thread. Maybe others have had poor experiences. They provide the several-course dinners. Order the roast duck, there's actual meat on the bones. When I visit, I get some of that to bring home. Also like the rice noodle rolls (not going to try to pinyin it, but they look like skinnier, longer, flimsier egg rolls) with meat inside.

Nam King. I think there is 1 location left in Millington. Sometimes we have dinner there too.

Have tried some of the others, if it's a new place just opened in the last 5 years or so, probably haven't tried it.
The location on Exeter is called Grand Buffet. Excellent. Lots of Asians there, and there is a connection with the Asian Palace, in that the owners or chefs are brothers. So the food is similar.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:47 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,338,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy58 View Post
A quick somewhat related question. Where is the highest concentration of Chiinese / Asians in the Memphis area?
I think it depends. I think there used to be a concentration of Vietnamese in midtown and Hickory Hill. Those who are LPRs with an employer visa (higher concentration are probably Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Taiwanese, Korean) would have the salary to try East Memphis and Cordova, maybe G'town. Kids or young professionals might be in Mud Island, downtown.

There aren't many to begin with, however. There are tight knit pockets, especially around the ethnic Christian and Buddhist churches. There are ethnic food stores around that you can probably ask, as well as the authentic Asian restaurants, such as Asian Palace and Grand Buffet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis