Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 11:31 AM

94 posts, read 374,523 times

Advertisements

This is interesting. I've been here a little over a year, (from Illinois) and I've had herrendous migraines. (debilitating really) I'm going to a nuerologist next week but I'm really wondering if it's not sinus related.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 05:50 PM

14 posts, read 49,454 times
Default Better get it checked out

Possibly it could be sinus and allergy but it is always better to get migraines checked out thoroughly. I've had headaches so bad I felt numb and it took me experience to figure out it was a combo of sinus and allergy. Now I know and I make sure I do what I have to do to prevent them. However, you just never know and you'll have peace of mind knowing exactly what is going on. Wish you the best and hope you feel better. Sharon

Old 12-11-2009, 09:45 AM

9 posts, read 21,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worried4kids View Post
This is interesting. I've been here a little over a year, (from Illinois) and I've had herrendous migraines. (debilitating really) I'm going to a nuerologist next week but I'm really wondering if it's not sinus related.

I have been in Memphis for a little over a year now too. I am a pilot an travel mostly in the midsouth, east and south east. Lived in TX for over 14 years and had no problems there. A few months ago I started noticing that every time I came back home from a trip I had a headache or migraines. A couple of Advil solved the problem, but I wanted to know what was going on. I talked to a co-worker that has allergies problems and he recommended me to see his doctor. I got the test done and found out that I am allergic to a lot of thing: grass, pollen, and dust mites. He gave me a mix of Nasonex spray, Clarinex and Singulair. The problem is that I can not take the medicine within 24 hrs before I fly. He gave me medicine for 8 weeks and then will see if I need the shots. I saw a lot of people getting allergy shots at the doctor. At $15 a shot it will get expensive. He also recommended me to see a neurologist. If you did not have the symtoms in the past, do not go. It will cost you a few co-payments (if you have insurance) or a lot of money if you don't. Check your allergies first.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:44 AM

173 posts, read 323,256 times
Welcome to Memphis! At least we have good water!
Get a netti pot, or one of the other items on the market for rinsing your sinuses with saline (salt water...NEVER use regular old table salt if you decide to make your own cocktail. ITWILLBURN!!!!!)
I had a friend who was a transplant and he swore by the local honey thing.
I wouldn't know, why would I want to cure something that can get me an extra sick day or two a year?

Old 12-17-2009, 09:48 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
is there a time of year when it is worse, spring?

Old 12-26-2009, 10:43 AM

Default Might be individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
is there a time of year when it is worse, spring?
For me, the fall is by far the worst due to the combination of cotton spray and harvest (the drier it is the worse it is due to the machines kicking up a lot of dust) and trees and plant spewing spores, molds etc. to help propogate themselves in the spring. I get so ill it is a struggle to get normal activities done. However, I have vowed to use my netti pot 2-3 times a day this coming year and hope it will help. Also, Flonase and Allegra are just the best; I have tried Claritin, Benadryl, and Zyrtec and those help me most.

That said, everybody has their own chemical fingerprint and will have different triggers and reactions. Keeping a health journal and paying attention to the weather was invaluable as it helped me identify patterns through the years.

I have not heard about the local honey thing altho I am a huge believer in natural remedies and it makes sense. I will try that as soon as I can locate local honey...I'll check the local farmer's markets and see what I can find.

I read several years ago that allergies are the #1 chronic health problem in the U.S. - I believe the figure was $30 billion lost each year in productivity due to allergies. So it's a real illness and only those who have them can really understand just how bad they can make one feel. If we all keep sharing info hopefully we can help each other. That said, good luck and HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYBODY!!

Old 03-02-2010, 08:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,098 times
I moved to florida from kansas city missouri and my sinus and ears are killing me. I just dont know what to do. Does anyone have any natural idea? I moved away from the cold but yet I m still feel sick !! hwwa!

Old 03-03-2010, 03:23 PM

Wink Natural not always strong enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam3873 View Post
I moved to florida from kansas city missouri and my sinus and ears are killing me. I just dont know what to do. Does anyone have any natural idea? I moved away from the cold but yet I m still feel sick !! hwwa!
Visit an ENT and/or allergist/immunologist as soon as you can if you can afford it. Your body is most likely reacting to new allergens it is not used to in your new location. I lived in FL for many years until 1985 and I can sympathize as the humidity there is like a hothouse atmosphere for all green things and thus, more molds, pollens and fungus spores to make us humans miserable.

Things you can do on your own that help greatly: A netti pot used 2-3 times a day (Walgreens sells their own kit with one in it) with salt/baking soda wash is wonderful for washing away the allergens that collect in your sinuses. IF you want to make your own salt/baking soda mix for a netti pot the formula is: 1/2 cup NON-IODIZED salt and 1/4 cup baking soda in a container - shake very well to mix it thoroughly and use 1/2 tsp per 8 oz. very warm water. Do not use IODIZED salt - the iodine irritates and burns mucus membranes that are already inflamed.

Over the counter (OTC) Sudafed PE opens sinuses and allows ear canals to drain and a Nurse Practioner told me it is the still one of the best medicines you can use for sinusitis and water in the ear canal.
Also think about OTC Mucinex, but it is expensive. Mucinex is guaifenesen in time-released pill form and will thin any mucus in your sinuses and chest and allow your sinuses to drain quickly (guifenesen is the mucus expectorant that is active ingredient in Robitussin). I buy Walgreens generic guifenesen to save money and it works fine as long as I remember to take every 6 hours.

You can buy Sudafed PE and Mucinex (or a generic) at any good drugstore. Please be sure to check that these are compatible with any medical conditions and medicines you have or you are currently taking; you can ask the pharmacist if you can't make it to a doctor.

Flonase is also wonderful but it is a prescription so it will require a doctor visit. It is a topical steroid anti-inflammatory spray for your sinuses.

Lastly, someone posted using local honey if you find you have allergies. I tried this and I want to warn everyone to be very careful that if you try this use only a tiny amount per day to start - I would not recommend more than 1/8 or 1/4 tsp. I did not and I paid dearly for it; I had a very bad reaction including vomiting, bad chills and nausea that is still with me after two weeks so be careful.

Sorry you are feeling so bad. I hope this helps and you get to feeling better. Take care, Sharon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: