Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2021, 04:20 PM

230 posts, read 119,731 times

Advertisements

I never did see what the connection was. One is 500 miles from the other. Their last Super Bowl was 26 years ago, so it can't be because of any recent greatness... there hasn't been any. Is it because the Oilers/Titans played one season in Memphis with no intention of staying? (And since the Oilers/Titans and Cowboys are no longer rivals, it doesn't seem relevant)

So, what's the deal? Why pull for Dallas and not, let's say, Atlanta or Chicago or Indy or Green Bay?

Last edited by smittydore; 09-09-2021 at 05:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2021, 01:46 AM

191 posts, read 304,111 times
Judging from car flags, the Cowboys are still popular, although other teams have their fans, too. The local ESPN station will be broadcasting the Dallas games this year, I guess in lieu of the Titans, but not sure about that. The intense rivalry with Nashville would make supporting the Titans problematic.

Old 09-10-2021, 02:58 PM

230 posts, read 119,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comingtomemphis View Post
Judging from car flags, the Cowboys are still popular, although other teams have their fans, too. The local ESPN station will be broadcasting the Dallas games this year, I guess in lieu of the Titans, but not sure about that. The intense rivalry with Nashville would make supporting the Titans problematic.
And yet, the Grizzlies are in Nashville today/tonight for two stops on their pre-season caravan, have a radio affiliate in the Nashville area, and have had designated Grizz watch-party bars. Is the envy/resentment between the two towns a one-way street? From what I can tell, Nashville regards Austin TX as it's competition, not Memphis.

Old 09-15-2021, 09:57 AM

506 posts, read 1,476,366 times
The Cowboys are just a popular, national brand so they are popular in Memphis just as the Steelers are. There are others to a lesser extent with the same thing: Patriots, 49ers and Packers.

Old 12-24-2021, 06:45 AM

842 posts, read 827,740 times
I have wondered about this as well. I grew up in SE Memphis during the 1970's to 1981, and the Cowboys were a popular team in Memphis. The St. Louis Cardinals were the most popular baseball team, which made sense as the one closest to the city (plus, I think the Memphis Blues were the AAA feeder for them), but the NFL team not so much.

Old 12-25-2021, 04:41 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,143,570 times
I was told this by a bartender on Beale St. I did not understand either.

Old 12-27-2021, 07:54 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,989,326 times
I never saw much evidence of this. Memphis is in football no-man's land. Basketball has an NBA team, and then the connection to the University of Memphis. Baseball is all Cardinals/Redbirds.

First, there is a huge college football element in Memphis, but it's spread out between Ole Miss, Tennessee, Mississippi State and Arkansas (and Memphis in recent years). Recruits go all over the place, as there's no real 'home team'. Obviously people aren't big fans of the Titans around those parts. I'd say there's no real allegiance to anyone. There are some Saints fans around there too, just like the Cowboys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: