Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 02:24 PM

774 posts, read 2,582,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds777 View Post
Hi,

I've been reading the posts and it seems like people seem to know what they are talking about. I don't really know anything about Memphis except what I've read and heard.

I'm looking at Birches at Countryside apartments (6939 Dusty Trail Lane, Memphis). Any opinions on the area or apartments?
I read good things about it but then found a forum that said bad things so I am looking for more info.

Thanks!
The apartments themselves are ok, from what I understand. However, that immediate area is becoming rather undesirable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 02:14 PM

845 posts, read 2,542,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlacas View Post
Are the following parks major bum hangouts, or are they more family/exercise oriented?

1. Shelby Farms
2. Sea Isle Park
3. Audubon Park
4. Marquette Park

Also, are the neighborhoods within a block or two of these parks decent areas?
Sea Isle Park is a great park, located right next to an elementary school in East Memphis. It is between Park and Quince (North to South) and White Station and Estate (East to West). The park is very family friendly and has a 1-mile walking trail, ball fields and play ground equipment. The neighborhood around the park is very nice. It is the Sea-Isle Park neighborhood and has a pretty strong association. The neighborhoods website is hereModerator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed. The neighborhood is bordered by Mt. Moriah on the west, I-240 to the east and South, and the Norfolk Southern RR to the north (basically Park Ave to the north). The area is a middle income area with home prices running around $75 to $100 per square foot. Many homes in the area were built in the 1950’s and 1960’s during the baby boom. There are also pockets of infill developments with much newer homes, where a builder developed a small neighborhood within the neighborhood. These homes are generally larger and more expensive.

The Sea Isle Park neighborhood and Colonial Acres, which borders Sea Isle Park to the west and is in the area of Marquette Park, are very safe stable areas of the city that have held their value well despite all the changes the city has experienced. Many of the older homes are smaller (around 1200-1500sf) and are perfect for a young family like yours. The area has beautiful mature trees and a lot of character. You can definitely find a home in the area for close to 100k, especially in this market. These homes are perfect for remodeling and are a good investment because the area will retain its value. I would definitely recommend looking in this area. It is about 3-5 miles from Campus and a very easy drive. Many young families live in the area and love it. It’s close to the interstate and very close to shopping and entertainment.

The areas you want to avoid in Memphis, from an investment standpoint are the areas that are either in Memphis's annex area or in an area that was recently annexed and on the decline. In this area people run from annexation into the city. Because of this the property values in those area suffer. If the people would just stick it out the area would be fine, but they do not. They rush to put their houses up for sale and flood tha market with homes, which drives the values down. Eventually people realize they can not sell their homes for what they think they should get so they rent them out. This drives property values down even further because the area then has more renters than owners. Needless to say you also want to avoid the high crime areas with dirt cheap real-estate. It is cheap for a reason.

Last edited by Yac; 08-22-2013 at 06:57 AM..

Old 04-25-2010, 10:24 AM

3 posts, read 3,929 times
Hi! I, too, am moving to Memphis at the end of May. I've been looking on Craigslist and on the newspaper website or rentals. Would you be willing to assist me as well?

I'm looking for a 3BR. My husband and our two children are relocating for my job at a company in Midtown. I'm looking to rent something no more than $800/month. I know that's not alot but I want to rent something inexpensive while we adjust to the new move.

Any advice?
Thanks!

Old 04-27-2010, 03:25 PM

24 posts, read 76,652 times
It seems like 800 is not going to be nearly enough, particularly since you're going to be concerned about safety for your children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis