Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2007, 10:54 AM

6 posts, read 20,951 times

Advertisements

I am new to this forum, but I have been reading replies for quite a while. As to the original poster from East Tennessee, moving to Memphis and being happy would have to depend on quite a few factors, not the least of which is how willing she and her family are to acclimate to a city like Memphis. I lived there twice for a total of 10 years and owned property there. I have also lived in Chicago and a number of mid-sized cities. Now I live in East TN (Knoxville). I will have to say that the stuff that goes on in Memphis shocks the living daylights out of people here. As there is no comparison to the size of Memphis vs the size of Knoxville, the original poster is coming from a small place to a big place. The true question is how much she is willing to deal with. I always tell people that Memphis is where I learned to lock my doors. To this day the one daughter I have who spent her early years in Memphis suspects anyone out and about who walks by a car while we are going somewhere. While in Memphis I worked with a woman who got shot on her way to church by someone she didn't know. It was very sad; she was young and responsible. There was also a woman police officer who had her gun turned on her by an assailant in her patrol car. He shot her in the back of the head. On the way home once I witnessed a robbery and shooting in progress at a convenience store. When I worked in downtown Memphis, I observed some people fornicating in an alley next to a parking garage where professionals park their cars. One time as I was driving through a retail area, a police officer cut off our vehicle and we saw the reason why: A guy on the sidewalk was wielding a gun at passersby. Another time my husband was robbed at an ATM. A co-worker had to transport some documents out by the airport and was run off the road intentionally. As I returned from Mid-town with some friends, my car was pelted with rocks and bottles. All of these experiences are first-hand and I am telling the complete truth. While the poster may very well be able to find a home within the stated price range in a nice neighborhood, she is going to have to leave its borders sometimes. Work and recreational requirements mandate it. In addition, as other posters have stated, some of the seemingly shorter commutes can be made difficult by traffic issues. I completely understand the perpetual defense of Memphis. I met my best friend there and after I left, I begged her for years to leave. She kept citing amenities like the AutoZone Park. When she finally did get a great job in another city, she can't stop saying how glad she was to get away. It is human nature to want to justify a situation you can't change. I feel bad for Memphis. It could be great. I was distressed to hear recently that the metro area achieved the distinction of most violent city in America. Why is the crime rate in New York so low? Instead of deflecting the blame on statistics and the fact that so far in 2007, crime is down 8% (to me 8% of a lot of crime still leaves tons and tons of room for improvement), the government and law enforcement of Memphis should be investigating ways that other cities have remained safer.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:16 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,377,196 times
Although I agree with most of the above post, I would say that no one here is justifying crime in Memphis. I think we can all agree that Memphis has its problems but that it ALSO has a lot of good aspects. I know a lot of people who love this city, despite it's problems. And I know a lot of people who are so-so about it but have found great aspects to it that they enjoy. Then there are the people who complain all the time and hate the city, and I feel sad for those people. If the bad outweighs the good to you, then you need to leave. It seems like that's what happened for the above poster.

For many people, the bad does not outweigh the good. That does not mean we are trying to justify why we live here or paint a rosy picture on things. It just means that we have found good aspects to our lives here that outweigh the bad things that might be going on around us.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:23 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,461,528 times
Crime isn't so bad here, says mayor : Local News : Commercial Appeal

apparently y'all are just mistaken on the crime issue...

Old 10-12-2007, 11:32 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,314,977 times
Quote:
It is human nature to want to justify a situation you can't change.
I think that's a very good observation of both this board and the young, professional population of Memphis in general. I come across three different ways of talking about Memphis:

1) It's great. No problems.
2) It's ok. I just live here and go about my life regardless of what goes on around me.
3) It's horrible. I'm afraid I'm going to get killed. But that's just the way it is here.
4) It's bad--maybe even horrible--but we can change it.

People in group 1 are, imo, delusional. People in groups 2 and 3, imo, contribute to the problems here. People in group 4 are cool cats. On this board, you see mostly people in groups 2 and 4. At the Chamber of Commerce, you see people in group 1. Out and about, it's mostly 2 and 3. There are very, very few people in group 4. We need more.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:46 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,377,196 times
While I do agree, I think most people give up because we have seen year after year that as much as you try, things aren't changing much here. So people give up after a while.

Also, I would imagine that maybe a lot of young professionals do not plan on living here their entire lives, so that might be why they don't actively try to make a lot of changes; if you won't be here in 10 years, you're not going to put a ton of effort into the city.

I do agree that it takes more people to create change. People are busy with their own lives though, it's hard to find time to get involved in a project that is obviously going to take a lot of effort from a lot of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
I think that's a very good observation of both
this board and the young, professional population of Memphis in general. I come across three different ways of talking about Memphis:

2) It's ok. I just live here and go about my life regardless of what goes on around me.
3) It's horrible. I'm afraid I'm going to get killed. But that's just the way it is here.

People in group 1 are, imo, delusional. People in groups 2 and 3, imo, contribute to the problems here. People in group 4 are cool cats. On this board, you see mostly people in groups 2 and 4. At the Chamber of Commerce, you see people in group 1. Out and about, it's mostly 2 and 3. There are very, very few people in group 4. We need more.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:32 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,338,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
I think that's a very good observation of both this board and the young, professional population of Memphis in general. I come across three different ways of talking about Memphis:

I think you are underestimating the number and visibility of those in group 4. I think there are more than you believe, just by looking at those who have created the downtown neighborhood safety group or whatever it is.

The ones in group 4 are the most important -- the most honest and the most productive and constructive. Next in line is #2. I personally don't think that those in the COC are in #1, but that's just my opinion. But back to group 4. They recognize problems BECAUSE they care about their community, not because they have some visceral antagonism, and they demonstrate their care because they suggest and recommend CONSTRUCTIVE solutions, instead of just beeyatching about it incessantly to prove some visceral point.

We need to find more ways to get them out of the woodwork. Just by stalking the uptown message board you see people of that mindset who look out for each other and have an obvious love for their community. It's all about promoting that mindset and defeating by all means necessary the others.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:25 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,461,528 times
Memphis pics - SkyscraperCity

some great pics of Memphis. See, after reading the comments on this board, I would have never expected the city to look like this. i expected it to look more like http://www.travel-images.com/brazil150.jpg

Old 10-14-2007, 08:46 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
Memphis pics - SkyscraperCity

some great pics of Memphis. See, after reading the comments on this board, I would have never expected the city to look like this. i expected it to look more like http://www.travel-images.com/brazil150.jpg
Those really are some great pics of downtown Memphis! I would not hesitate to live in Memphis again, I love that city. Thanks for sharing.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:42 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,314,977 times
Very nice photos. I typically walk the length of Main Street everyday at lunch; I take the architecture of many of those buildings for granted as I pass by them everyday.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:19 AM

232 posts, read 796,037 times
WOW! Those are great pics!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis