Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2007, 05:00 PM

376 posts, read 1,779,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
Crime follows people. Hickory Hill was the hot spot for people with money 20 years ago. As of right now, what's happening in downtown is simply not sustainable. Trendy for now, yes. Sustainable in the long run, no. As the market for $250k condos erodes--as it will and, in fact, is--more and more units will become rental units. As the market for high-priced rental units erodes--and it will because Memphis does not have a limitless supply of well-to-do people--those rental units will come down in price. When that happens, the downtown quasi-neighborhood that currently exists will be no more.

A very good example of the high-priced rentals becoming low-priced rentals can be found just up the road on Mud Island. The Riverview apartments were once the trendy thing; they are now responsible for the majority of police calls to Mud Island.

I want downtown to succeed as a residential place. But without families, schools, parks, and community centers, it will ultimately fail. There are too many units going up too fast. And all this is happening while more businesses are moving away from downtown, resulting in fewer jobs in that area. There are actually people living downtown who commute outward to go to work, defeating the primary premise for living downtown.
Hickory Hill has never been the place for money. Horn Lake is today what Hickory Hill was 20 years ago--middle class people to get a cheap house with some space and near a lot of chain shopping. Hickory Hill is not and never was anything like downtown, and the assertion that it is is ridiculous. One apartment complex on Mud Island is not as high end as the others. Do you know who lives there? Students. Yes, those medical and dental students really cause a lot of problems. Property on Mud Island has continued to appreciate at an excellent rate.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:44 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,338,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergal View Post
The problem with your description is that downtown does not encompass all of Memphis city-proper. To be perfectly frank, I couldn't give a flip less about what's going on downtown in terms of development because it doesn't affect my life one iota. The other parts of Memphis city do affect me and they affect more people than the gentrification of downtown affects.
I would think downtown would affect the average citizen's life more than any other single neighborhood. Now, if you take all the other neighborhoods and combine their effect, then that might affect someone cumulatively more than downtown alone.

I do think that bad news affects the average person more than good news, though, regardless of how good the good news is, bad news is just more noticeable, more publicized, people's attention is drawn to it and people's psyche clings to it and the fears and concerns it promotes more than even great news such as IP's relocation or ServiceMaster's or whatever.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:58 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,378,224 times
I agree too...every city has to have at least one "the area" that is promoted because that's what brings in tourist money, revenue for the city. Instead of having great restaurants over there, the NBA arena over here, bars and clubs elsewhere, museums across town...you have to have an area that encompasses all of that in order to make it a "destination" for people. So, even though a lot of Memphians might not go downtown and hang out ever, it does bring a ton of money and acknowledgement to our city. Doing all that makes a tourist destination; adding condos and residential areas to the mix makes it a place that locals will spend their money too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
I would think downtown would affect the average citizen's life more than any other single neighborhood. Now, if you take all the other neighborhoods and combine their effect, then that might affect someone cumulatively more than downtown alone.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:18 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,462,106 times
why not add a few hundred [police and take care of the crime?

Old 12-05-2007, 11:29 AM

I'm pretty sure it's not that simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
why not add a few hundred [police and take care of the crime?

Old 12-05-2007, 06:36 PM

29 posts, read 121,006 times
I'm planning on moving back to Memphis as soon as my personal business is settled here, in Jacksonville, FL. It's a shame there's so much negativity about Memphis, though, so let me open your eyes to other places, like Florida.
ORLANDO-my home town: left there 6 years ago. Traffic, crowded, tourists and you need to speak 8 different languages to get across town. The news doesn't broadcast fully the crimes---can't scare away the tourists.
JACKSONVILLE-been here 6 years ago and watched this area decline, also. It's the murder capital of Florida! Yes, Boys and Girls, we have surpassed Miami. Isn't that something to be proud of?
I have been searching out homes in the 38112 zip code---Midtown---and I've found some what appear to be nice, affordable homes. I like the older houses and that's what I've found. After the holidays I will come for about a week and get with the agent and check them out, make my selection, and move. It may sound selfish but my kids are all grown so I don't worry about schools
I've done my homework on local crime, I lived there before, I've got friends there that have assisted me greatly, so I'm ready.
Just because there are problems there, as every where else, it doesn't mean that Memphis can't be a great place to live. A lot of the conditions are what you, as an individual, make them.
After 24 years in the military, I've lived in a lot of places, coast to coast. Since retiring, I've travelled extensively, mostly for work, so I've been able to check a lot of places out.
Be glad you don't live in Southern California.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:34 PM

Be sure to check 38104 too...that's the REAL midtown

Old 12-06-2007, 04:10 PM

376 posts, read 1,779,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badkarma View Post
I'm planning on moving back to Memphis as soon as my personal business is settled here, in Jacksonville, FL. It's a shame there's so much negativity about Memphis, though, so let me open your eyes to other places, like Florida.
ORLANDO-my home town: left there 6 years ago. Traffic, crowded, tourists and you need to speak 8 different languages to get across town. The news doesn't broadcast fully the crimes---can't scare away the tourists.
JACKSONVILLE-been here 6 years ago and watched this area decline, also. It's the murder capital of Florida! Yes, Boys and Girls, we have surpassed Miami. Isn't that something to be proud of?
I have been searching out homes in the 38112 zip code---Midtown---and I've found some what appear to be nice, affordable homes. I like the older houses and that's what I've found. After the holidays I will come for about a week and get with the agent and check them out, make my selection, and move. It may sound selfish but my kids are all grown so I don't worry about schools
I've done my homework on local crime, I lived there before, I've got friends there that have assisted me greatly, so I'm ready.
Just because there are problems there, as every where else, it doesn't mean that Memphis can't be a great place to live. A lot of the conditions are what you, as an individual, make them.
After 24 years in the military, I've lived in a lot of places, coast to coast. Since retiring, I've travelled extensively, mostly for work, so I've been able to check a lot of places out.
I went to college in a town where you never had to worry about crime. You could walk across town at 3 AM. That is a luxury you don't have in Memphis, but crime doesn't control your life. It's a nuisance more than anything. The vast majority of crime is property crime, and I have insurance. Nearly all violent crime involves those involved with drugs or domestic disputes or are close to people that are. Midtown is a really cool place to live. Just be careful of what street you live on. One street can be great but the next street over can be bad. Houses are far less expensive there than any similar area in a major city in the country. The same house would be three times as much intown Atlanta.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:57 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,338,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badkarma View Post
Welcome back!

Old 12-06-2007, 09:01 PM

5 posts, read 15,626 times
Smile arnoldrob

Folks,

I have read a great deal about Memphis and from those readings believe there is much emotion attached pro or con. I guess that what makes America great; anyone may say anything about how they feel about a particular subject. Having said that, I was wondering if anyone familiar with the area could give me a run down on the Millington area? I may be working there soon and would like informed information about the area, i.e., things to do, the schools, housing market, people, etc. I would like any and all information that may be provided. Thank you all in advance..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis