Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 12:17 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,336,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja48 View Post
Is Raleigh a bad area?
my cousins moved out of there after they were robbed for the third time. they said when they moved to raleigh in the late 80's it was nice, but not anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 12:32 AM

2,353 posts, read 5,374,048 times
Quote:
I would prefer a house but I'd rather live there awhile so that I can better choose a neighborhood for myself. I have no children...and I love to shop, eat out, and I just think Memphis is a great city. The commute...30 mins I meant with traffic. I would love to be close to work but it seems that the area isn't so good. The job is located on Collins St. Is East Memphis a bad area? What would be a good area to start seriously looking?

Yes, I have transportation.
1)Colonial Acres(Houses, no apartments in that area. But you really should check it out. Very stable, centrally located and affordable)
2)University District(Mix of Homes and Apartments)
3)Mid-Town (Loads of Apartments, however alot of them are sketchy)

Quote:
Is Raleigh a bad area?
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunky View Post
Yikes.
My thoughts also

Old 10-16-2009, 03:05 AM

6 posts, read 13,142 times
Stratum on Highland 510 S. Highland St.
Jamesbridge Apts. 3815 N. Advantage Way
Stoneridge @ Germantown Falls 6895 Club Ridge Circle
Sherwood 3667 Rhodes Ave.

????

Old 10-16-2009, 07:31 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,375,420 times
I don't understand - you keep listing apartments for us to give opinions on, but you want to rent a house? You can find hundreds of houses/duplexes for rent all over Memphis, so if that is what you want, go for it. Don't settle for apartment living if it isn't your style.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:44 AM

70 posts, read 314,133 times
Red face deja48

Quote:
Stratum on Highland 510 S. Highland St.
Jamesbridge Apts. 3815 N. Advantage Way
Stoneridge @ Germantown Falls 6895 Club Ridge Circle
Sherwood 3667 Rhodes Ave.

????
Here is a link to a free and pretty darn reliable crime listings map. It is very easy to use.

Memphis Daily News - Crime Report Map - A map of reported crimes for Memphis and Shelby County - Updated Daily - Business, Government, Politics, News, Public Records, Public Notices, Crime Report, Neighborhood Report, Marketing Lists, Research

I know for sure that Stoneridge at Germantown Falls is basically in Hickory Hill and that is just a rather dangerous area.

The Jamesbridge Apartments are in Raleigh and Raleigh is just a rather dangerous area also. I could also just about swear that I read of how the Jamesbridge Apartments were foreclosed upon just yesterday.

I do not know anything about the other two you listed at all.

For Mid Town Memphis and whatnot, Revid Reality is a pretty darned nice company for rentals.

Revid Realty

And even though I live in one of their lemon properties, Mid America Apartment Communities is a very stable rental company also.

Mid-America Apartment Communities

I would stay away from a leasing company called "Sunshine Something Or Other." I have heard that the Sunshine company is rather far gone with regards to charging for things up the whazoo.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:07 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,375,420 times
Also here is a link to a map made for this forum by one of the forum members. Keep in mind, this is simply people's opinions; you (or anyone else) may or may not agree with the opinions of Memphis neighborhoods. The green areas represent the best, and I believe the red areas are the worst.

//www.city-data.com/forum/memph...hborhoods.html

Old 10-16-2009, 08:48 AM

2,353 posts, read 5,374,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
I don't understand - you keep listing apartments for us to give opinions on, but you want to rent a house? You can find hundreds of houses/duplexes for rent all over Memphis, so if that is what you want, go for it. Don't settle for apartment living if it isn't your style.
Actually its me trying to force them into moving into a house. The OP has stated twice that they want an apartment, before moving into a house.

I saw this morning an area close to were you will be working that is pretty solid. It only consist of 2 streets Williford and Crestemere, both intersect with Poplar Ave

As for the current list of Apartments.....Possibly the ones on Highland, but if I'm not mistaken that is the Hi-Rise that always seems to catch fire and have Heating/Air Conditioning issues...Sorry, try again

It would be nice if you could move here and stay at an extended stay for a couple of weeks

+2 on Revid Why don't you call them and see what they have to offer and get back with us with locations

Old 10-16-2009, 08:58 AM

54 posts, read 184,628 times
Default EAST Memphis apts

There are some pretty nice and affordable apartments in a mostly safe area of East Memphis bordering Germantown right off of Poplar. There are three all together. So you could see them all very quickly. Hunters Trace, Whispering Oaks, and Kirby Station. Some of those other apartments you listed are in bad areas. The Stratum is mostly college students so expect a lot of noise.

Last edited by GoJazz; 10-16-2009 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: Whoops!

Old 10-16-2009, 09:27 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,134,864 times
Check out Arbors of Century Center. I used to work near there. It's a pretty decent area, mostly residential, although the complex itself kind of backs onto a nice business park. Fairly easy interstate access. There are some other apartments in the same area but I don't know the names of those, but they are on Sycamore View Rd.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:31 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,314,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Check out Arbors of Century Center. I used to work near there. It's a pretty decent area, mostly residential, although the complex itself kind of backs onto a nice business park. Fairly easy interstate access. There are some other apartments in the same area but I don't know the names of those, but they are on Sycamore View Rd.
That area has gone down rapidly. While the Century Center apartments are still decent (not good, but decent), the apartments nearby are scary. There was a murder there a couple of years ago, and police are there constantly.

Personally, I would avoid that area like the plague.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: