U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 09:30 PM

523 posts, read 1,738,462 times

Advertisements

Alright, after months of posting and asking questions we are finally here! We left Virginia Beach on Wednesday. Stopped in Knoxville on thursday for lunch and stayed the night in Nashville, and arrived in Memphis around 1pm today.

I'd have to say that so far the Asian food has been good. We stopped at this japanese places in Knoxville called Makino Japanese buffet, and it was easily one of the best restaurants ive been too and va beach has very good asian food.

Where we are staying in Downtown Memphis, we are very close to many restuarants. We went to a thai place and the food there was awesome. People are super friendly, and being asian i didnt think people would be to friendly, but they were. It kinda reminds me of downtown Atl. I didnt get a chance to really explore downtown memphis, just a block or two away from where we were.

After lunch we took I40 to 51 to scope out Naval Base (where i'd be working). I was shocked to see the "Chill dont kill" billboard, I wonder if crime is that bad. Then, going down 51 towards millington it just looked really abandoned and not to much going on down there. It's about a 30 min drive from downtown memphis.

Tomorrow my wife and I will be looking at houses in Bartlett and Arlington, i'm looking to cut my commute in half if possible.

Im happy to be here and cant wait to see what more Memphis has to offer!

Is there any places i should avoid in downtown memphis or anywhere else? Keep in mind I do have a 2.5 yo daughter and my wife is 14months pregnant.

Any good play places around here, is there one at wolfchase galleria? My daughter is so lonely, i feel bad for her. She told me that she made a new friend, and it ended up being her shadow. Back home she had her grandparents and aunt and uncles and her little cousins to play with, now its just her mom and dad.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 09:01 AM
bjh

43,060 posts, read 26,810,857 times
Welcome to Memphis!

I hope you will find as I have that the vast majority of people here are friendly, welcoming and helpful.

You might want to look at Collierville too if you're interested in living in the 'burbs and it isn't too far for your commute.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:02 AM

369 posts, read 1,155,250 times
Try the Arcade Restaurant on South Main for breakfast since you'll be staying downtown.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:51 AM

65 posts, read 121,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcmotort View Post
my wife is 14months pregnant.
Um, you might want to get this checked out.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:49 PM

48 posts, read 250,446 times
Default just arrived

I had my last child 11 yrs ago and I still look 14 months pregnant!

Old 11-21-2009, 08:18 PM

lol okay i meant 14wks. Today we saw houses in Arlington and they were very beautiful! We met our realtor in Germantown which is also a very nice area; however, as some have mentioned, Arlington isn't as fully developed as Germantown or Bartlett but it is still a short drive down to Bartlett and all the shops.

People here are super friendly too!

I'd have to say I was really worried about the safety here in downtown Memphis, but people are jogging all over the place, families walking the streets, and it is just a nice atmosphere. On the way home tonight we rode around Beale Street and Peabody Place, spectacular area especially with all the horse and carriages.

So far we ate at Bangkok Alley and Pia Papa Italian Restaurant (something like that); both of which were good food at reasonable prices.

Although the city has much to offer, we're not much of the city goers and we cant wait to buy our house which we plan on making an offer in the next week.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:33 PM

2,237 posts, read 4,792,178 times
If your working in Millington then if I were you. I would move to Tipton County. Straight shot up hwy 51

Check out the cities of Atoka/Munford or Covington

Old 11-22-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
If your working in Millington then if I were you. I would move to Tipton County. Straight shot up hwy 51

Check out the cities of Atoka/Munford or Covington

Do those cities offer the same ammenities that Bartlett and Arlington has to offer such as shops and restaurants?

Old 11-22-2009, 05:51 PM

369 posts, read 1,155,250 times
Quote:
Do those cities offer the same ammenities that Bartlett and Arlington has to offer such as shops and restaurants?
No. Maybe Munford but I'm not sure. If Munford did it wouldn't be on the level of Bartlett.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:47 PM

2,237 posts, read 4,792,178 times
Quote:
Yes, they have shops and restaurants. Why don't you and the lil misses take a stroll up that direction and see for yourself.Ask around the base, I'm sure many others who work there live in Tipton Conty

You also might wanna look at Drummonds

I would not want to raise children in Shelby County/Memphis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis