Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 03:15 PM

774 posts, read 2,575,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
Jim and Nick's was odd, imo, and it made me very sick -- so that probably skews my opinion of it.

Whole Hog, which is a Little Rock fixture and previous Memphis in May winner, has opened a couple of locations in Memphis. It's a good place, imo.
Whole hog is very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 07:28 AM

754 posts, read 2,807,219 times
The Millington Pig is awesome, especially if you live in Tipton County or in Millington. They have a lunch buffet, too.

I currently live in northeast FL, and the BBQ around here bl0ws (I know, I'm a bit of a BBQ snob! ). I'll be up Memphis way in two weeks for the holidays, and I plan on puttin' away copious amounts of BBQ...I can hardly wait!

Old 12-12-2007, 08:24 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,296,387 times
Pearlbob --

Whole Hog has a location in the Quince/White Station area (can't remember exactly where, though) and in Cordova (near Scnuck's). From what I understand, they're also planning one in University Center next door to Jason's Deli (Poplar/Highland area).

Old 12-12-2007, 09:02 AM

100 posts, read 484,573 times
Paynes Bar B Q on Lamar is no doubt in the running for the best. It's in an old gas station, with absolutely nothing to recommend it but the food.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:55 AM

17 posts, read 104,573 times
I've yet to find better BBQ than (dry rub) Rendezvous or (wet) Blues City Cafe, i'd eat there once or twice a week if i lived near Memphis!

Old 12-21-2007, 08:40 PM

120 posts, read 457,552 times
Rendezvous was a major disappointment. The food tasted as if had sat out for hours (and was mediocre, at best), the service was okay (although better than G'town Commissary), and the price for what you get was crappy.

I will not go back, nor take anyone else.

DF really enjoys Tops!

I'm going to try Interstate soon I do believe!

Old 12-22-2007, 03:35 PM

232 posts, read 985,653 times
You need to get a sandwich platter from Showboat (new owner and name, but same recipe) on Lamar or at Captain John's on 72 in Collierville. The best sandwich! Great slaw, great sauce, the best beans and the fries are always hot and fresh! Try it!

Old 12-29-2007, 01:45 PM

8 posts, read 27,022 times
I agree with "new to memphis again" regarding the Germantown Commissary. It's truly incredible and the atmosphere is definitely not upscale, but very appealing. It is family owned ... not a franchise ... so would be considered your perfect mom and pop for GREAT food.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:27 PM

6 posts, read 26,627 times
Default I vote for BBQ Shop

Its located on Madison not far from Downtown!! I discovered them via USA Today. The article was best places for bbq... Its interesting... The BBQ Shop was the only one listed for Memphis..... I had to check it out and glad that I did. I doubt there is ONE great place to eat in the area...it just depends on what ur taste buds want that day.

Femmestry

Old 12-30-2007, 08:42 PM

5 posts, read 18,275 times
Cozy Corner is the best BBQ in Memphis, despite its tiny, hole-in-the-wall atmosphere or anything else. And a brief four-sentence conversation with any of the lovely people who prepare the food and serve the dishes there will hopefully show you that you need not worry about "cleanliness" in terms of you being in danger of eating there--it is a truly southern experience that reminds me every time I return that there are still some great things about Memphis (my hometown.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis