Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 10:41 AM

15 posts, read 43,732 times

Advertisements

Grew up in Memphis and most of my family is still there. I come to Memphis at least once a year, was there twice this year.

The best place I've been able to find info concerning areas of town is to find the demographics charts-- best source is the public school links from the real estate sites like Trulia. You can see what % of students at each school come from each race, and what % are on the federal free lunch program, as well as the test scores averages of each school. If you find that the house you love is .2 miles from an elementary school where 97% of the students are AA, 75% are on the free lunch program, and only 24% of the kids in 5th grade have passed the tests compared with 56% state-wide, then that may tell you something about that area. Another thing I do is get on Google Street View. I watch for loiterers, trash, and I look at the cars in the pictures. I look for bus stops and I look at the names of businesses nearby.

Then I consider what all that means according to MY values.

My family lives in Lakeland. If I ever moved back to Memphis (which is not real likely) I would pick the old Victorian homes on Trezevant near Rhodes College in Midtown.

Also have you ever looked at Trulia Hindsight? Fascinating to watch the explosion of towns into cities with suburbs.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:41 PM

33 posts, read 84,126 times
thanks urban! i will keep that in mind!

Old 12-13-2009, 11:29 AM

33 posts, read 84,126 times
I have found this place! really considering it! seems very close to germantown!-could it technically be considered germantown?
any thoughts on this place?
thanks!

Preserve at Forest Creek Apartments

Old 12-13-2009, 12:08 PM

185 posts, read 335,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbansustainability View Post
Grew up in Memphis and most of my family is still there. I come to Memphis at least once a year, was there twice this year.

The best place I've been able to find info concerning areas of town is to find the demographics charts-- best source is the public school links from the real estate sites like Trulia. You can see what % of students at each school come from each race, and what % are on the federal free lunch program, as well as the test scores averages of each school. If you find that the house you love is .2 miles from an elementary school where 97% of the students are AA, 75% are on the free lunch program, and only 24% of the kids in 5th grade have passed the tests compared with 56% state-wide, then that may tell you something about that area
Seriously? it's about to be 2010, is this even necessary? This is a garbage-minded statement to make. I wouldn't care if the earth caved in and swallowed people who STILL think like this. The sad part is wherever you live now probably consists of like-minded people. We're having a hard enough time dealing with the bigots we already have without have to worry about visiting bigots. People from all over have an opportunity to read these posts, can't we give them something positive to read? With any luck, these types of thinkers will be dead and gone soon while their children grow up in a world where these comments are distant memories.

Last edited by sldream; 12-13-2009 at 12:17 PM..

Old 12-13-2009, 12:37 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,374,704 times
The address on their own website says Memphis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recentmoverandshaker View Post
I have found this place! really considering it! seems very close to germantown!-could it technically be considered germantown?
thanks!

Old 12-13-2009, 03:03 PM

31 posts, read 107,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sldream View Post
Seriously? it's about to be 2010, is this even necessary? This is a garbage-minded statement to make. I wouldn't care if the earth caved in and swallowed people who STILL think like this. The sad part is wherever you live now probably consists of like-minded people. We're having a hard enough time dealing with the bigots we already have without have to worry about visiting bigots. People from all over have an opportunity to read these posts, can't we give them something positive to read? With any luck, these types of thinkers will be dead and gone soon while their children grow up in a world where these comments are distant memories.
You attack everybody that has anything to say that does not agree with you.

Are you sick?

Old 12-13-2009, 03:33 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,374,048 times
Quote:
Hi again! Was looking at rental houses and saw this one in a place called Lakeland???-->Is this a good area? I havent heard much about it due to my focus on Germantown and Cordova...any thoughts? suggestions? Safe? Unsafe? Boondocks? Any guidance would be helpful! Thanks so much!

Rental Home at 3112 Brandon Way Street, Lakeland, TN | RentalHouses.com

Lakelands a fine area to live. Nice and Safe

Quote:
thanks!

Close to 385/Indy Speedway. This seems like a pretty good area, but I would rather live in Lakeland or Collierville

Quote:
^ You are a very strange person sldream. Do you even know the definition of Bigotry?

Let me help you > Stubborn and Complete Intolerence of any Creed, Beleif or Opinion That differs from ones own

Does this sound familar ^ Go look in the mirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donho3 View Post
You attack everybody that has anything to say that does not agree with you.

Are you sick?

Old 12-14-2009, 02:53 PM

185 posts, read 335,351 times
My statement had language that was far more appropriate than the one about staying away from schools where a majority of kids receive free lunch. Since when does that determine how intelligent or the willingness they have to learn? Why post anything at all if it's only going to be negative? It's the same ones on every thread including the one(s) who's supposed to...

OP, the preserve at near 385 are nice and very quiet, just a little far away from everything except Carriage Crossing mall and of course there are tons of restaurants on winchester /hacks cross

Old 12-14-2009, 05:12 PM

31 posts, read 107,562 times
Quote:
My statement had language that was far more appropriate than the one about staying away from schools where a majority of kids receive free lunch. Since when does that determine how intelligent or the willingness they have to learn? Why post anything at all if it's only going to be negative? It's the same ones on every thread including the one(s) who's supposed to...

OP, the preserve at near 385 are nice and very quiet, just a little far away from everything except Carriage Crossing mall and of course there are tons of restaurants on winchester /hacks cross
While you might think all schools should be looked at equally, SOME parents want their kids to go to the schools with the best grades (Not saying they are the best schools as those do not always add up).

You can look at data nationwide and locally and the schools with the highest graduation rates and the highest scores are almost without question in more affluent neighborhoods of all races.

Take a class that deals with social-economics and it is heartbreaking. Poor kids quitting school or distracted while in school because they have to work to help their single mom put food on the table. Exactly how many kids in an all rich with 2 parents school have that problem?

Tell me that poor kids are not disadvantaged in a litany of ways. This person could have been more politically correct should have told them to look at the scores and GOT THE SAME RESULTS matter of fact he did say that and could have left the free lunch part out, but he didn't. The two correlate and give very clear and similar results.

If that upsets you and you are not smart enough to figure these things out for yourself then so be it. Not everybody is going to put things well enough for you to understand apparently and flying off the handle and wishing someone to die is just crazy as it gets. The real world is harsh in case you have not figured that out by now, Free lunches, poor kids and a harsh learning environment that is difficult at best to succeed in go hand in hand in the world I am from. What planet are you from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis