Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 10:12 PM

109 posts, read 207,623 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, I've read this forum quite extensively, and, combined with some google-maps research I think I've gotten a decent handle on the city and where in general to live and not live.

I'm moving because of a job, I am mid-20's. Since my job is in Germantown I figure it is best to get an apartment in Cordova Germantown, or Collierville, get a house in one of the incorporated cities in a couple years if all goes well. I say this because from what I've read, its best not to have real estate in places that the city of Memphis may annex. Although Im sure I'll spend plenty of time downtown, I'd rather not live there because 1, my job is 20-30 mins away and 2, seems downtown is surrounded north and south by some pretty bad spots.

Anyway, I am wondering if any of you know anything about these places, good or bad. My main concern is general safety and cleanliness of the area and buildings.

Here are the five that I'm looking at, with respective apartment websites:

Collier Village Apartments: www.colliervillageapts.com/
Dogwood Creek: www.dogwood-creek.com/
Fairfax Manor Townhomes: (no website)
Orchards at Collierville: www.orchardsofcoll.com/
Walnut Hill: walnuthill.riverstoneres.com/

Any help would be apprecieted, if theres another good place that y'all know of please let me know too! I also am considering renting a single-family house... anyone know of this companies' reputation Memphis Homes For Rent | Find houses for rent in Memphis TN (enterprise property management)

Thanks again!
-ncstate09
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 08:02 AM

369 posts, read 1,232,423 times
All the apartments you listed are safe. At your age, I would still give some consideration about renting apartments on Mud Island downtown or Downtown in general. There are some apartments in Midtown that you might like. But then again you did mention the drive, so that all depends on you.

Collier: I'd skip this one. It is way to boring. Especially when it compares with the others on the list
Dogwood Creek: Very nice complex, and safe area.
Fair Fax Townhomes: So so. Safe area just seems dull.
Orchards at Collierville: pretty much the same as Dogwood Creek, just a different location
Walnut Hill: I'd stay away from this place IMO. It has a good rating online but based on what other complexes line Germantown Pkwy, this place is kind of outdated I think. Traffic will be a nightmare as well during rush-hour.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:20 AM

70 posts, read 314,104 times
If I am not mistaken, the Apartment Guide lists Collier Village as a tax credit property.

I think that all the others on the list are cool. I have scoured Shelby County looking for new digs for the New Year so I have some stuff fresh in my brain.

With Walnut Hill, I think that at a minimum, the traffic would just be rather far out what for your commute and all.

If your apartment picks reflect your aesthetic, OP, then I would dare say you have some very nice taste.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:17 AM

54 posts, read 184,583 times
Another option that would put you closer to the action in downtown, but closer to the job in Germantown are some of the apartments in eastern Memphis. You might want to check out Kirby Station, Hunters-Trace and Madison Humphreys Center or perhaps River Arbor Oaks (someone on apartment ratings called it Baghdad but that is pretty hard to believe).

PS---Boo! NCSTATE. Go Heels!!!!

Last edited by GoJazz; 12-01-2009 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 12-02-2009, 10:59 PM

109 posts, read 207,623 times
Thanks so far, traffic is also something I am looking at, maximus10 you say Germantown Pkwy is a jam at rush hour, makes sense given its location... any other major roads that jam up bad?

I didn't really look at downtown/mud island because it would be about a 30 minute drive. I'd rather drive to downtown once a week for going out versus the same drive 5 days a week for work.

I have read that midtown is one of those places with safe and unsafe areas right next to each other. I can always move later, but I'd rather get a place with a nice buffer of safe, then get a better idea of the city that you can only get living there.

I will look at the other apartments mentioned by GoJazz (28-27 baby! ). Apartmentratings gave some of them bad ratings, wonder how reliable those are.

by the way, what is a "tax credit" property (sorry if that is a really dumb question)?

Old 12-03-2009, 07:20 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times
Germantown Rd is a traffic nightmare more so than any other road in Memphis, IMO. Poplar can get busy, but it's not the bumper to bumper, completely unmoving traffic that I've experience many times on Gtown Rd. Plus, Poplar is almost empty until you get to the area of East Memphis around Mendenhall...it jams up right there for some reason.

I personally would not rely on anything apartmentratings says. People whine and complain about everything and take out personal vendettas against companies when they feel "wronged." If you see something on there that worries you, ask the apt complex about it directly and see how they respond.

I would guess a "tax credit" property is something that accepts gov't funded low income people, therefore they get a tax credit from the gov't for allowing those people to rent there. That's my take on it... hopefully he'll log back in and explain if that is incorrect.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:07 AM

70 posts, read 314,104 times
^

I cannot quite say I have personal experience with that sort of thing.

I thought tax credit property was for welfare folks or for low income seniors actually.

One of the first few pages of "The Apartment Guide" lists those for all of Shelby County which is how I know of that.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:27 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times
That's what I assumed. That people get a "credit" for xxx amount of $ to go towards housing. Like the welfare cards used at grocery stores.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:35 AM

369 posts, read 1,232,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncstate09 View Post
Thanks so far, traffic is also something I am looking at, maximus10 you say Germantown Pkwy is a jam at rush hour, makes sense given its location... any other major roads that jam up bad?

I didn't really look at downtown/mud island because it would be about a 30 minute drive. I'd rather drive to downtown once a week for going out versus the same drive 5 days a week for work.

I have read that midtown is one of those places with safe and unsafe areas right next to each other. I can always move later, but I'd rather get a place with a nice buffer of safe, then get a better idea of the city that you can only get living there.

I will look at the other apartments mentioned by GoJazz (28-27 baby! ). Apartmentratings gave some of them bad ratings, wonder how reliable those are.

by the way, what is a "tax credit" property (sorry if that is a really dumb question)?
Traffic along Germantown Pkwy drives me crazy. The worse of it is mostly confined during the rush hours or busy shopping days like the middle of a saturday. My cousin lives at the reserve, which sits right off of Germantown Pkwy, and loves it. Says he has all the amenities right by his apartment. I'm with Pearlbob when it comes to the ratings. I thought they were genuine at first but after looking at it more, I think that it's just a forum to complain. Don't put to much into it. You got the right idea though. Pick your place right now and when you get a better idea of the city, move to another place if you feel like it. Can't go wrong there.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:39 AM

54 posts, read 184,583 times
Like Pearl Bob said apartment ratings is pretty unreliable. I do live in one of the apartments I listed and it is quite nice. One of the reviewers made it out to sound like it was the worst dump in the world. Quite untrue. Hunters-Trace though does have quite a variety of apt sizes. I live in the biggest unit and love it so far.

Heels just have a pretend football team. The real action comes now during basketball season when I am afraid the Wolfpack have no chance. By the way I have a lot of relatives who live in Raleigh, but my dad went to Chapel Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis