Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2009, 08:16 PM

522 posts, read 1,855,149 times

Advertisements

Where can I go to buy fresh seafood like oysters, salmon, other types of fish, and crabs? I mean fresh and not frozen or a couple days old; it maybe hard since we're far from the ocean but I had good sushi out here so I figure there should be a nice seafood market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 06:38 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,345,899 times
i would contact one of the country clubs in the city. they use purveyors who drive from the gulf coast twice weekly w/ fresh catches. i don't know what is set up at shelby park or ag center at this time. back in the summer two or three folks were selling seafood, etc. from one of those locations. it was my understanding that they could not keep enough supply on hand due to the demand. the moderator would not allow me to give you a name of a commercial seafood company that services memphis, nashville, and, i think even knoxville, but there is one that does. very reputable. i have fresh columbia salmon, koho, rainbow trout, and fresh king crab flown to me via fed ex from alaska. i purchase a good deal from them. naturally, it is expensive, but when you taste it and notice the differences in texture, there is no comparison, especially the king crab. i purchase fresh flash frozen calamari from that company. inland, as we are, i just don't know how one could get it, short of the eastern, western pacific coastal cities. tennessee can provide many climates, sceneries, and typographies, yet we just haven't figured out how to move the coast here, lol. hope some of this helps you. good luck, and be discriminating.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:42 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,372,606 times
www.americanseafoodco.com

I have a freind who works there ^ Not sure if they sell to the general public, but you can try. If not maybe they can steer you in the right direction

Old 12-21-2009, 04:44 PM

173 posts, read 443,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
i would contact one of the country clubs in the city. they use purveyors who drive from the gulf coast twice weekly w/ fresh catches. i don't know what is set up at shelby park or ag center at this time. back in the summer two or three folks were selling seafood, etc. from one of those locations. it was my understanding that they could not keep enough supply on hand due to the demand. the moderator would not allow me to give you a name of a commercial seafood company that services memphis, nashville, and, i think even knoxville, but there is one that does. very reputable. i have fresh columbia salmon, koho, rainbow trout, and fresh king crab flown to me via fed ex from alaska. i purchase a good deal from them. naturally, it is expensive, but when you taste it and notice the differences in texture, there is no comparison, especially the king crab. i purchase fresh flash frozen calamari from that company. inland, as we are, i just don't know how one could get it, short of the eastern, western pacific coastal cities. tennessee can provide many climates, sceneries, and typographies, yet we just haven't figured out how to move the coast here, lol. hope some of this helps you. good luck, and be discriminating.
I don't know if it was you or an article in the CA, but I remember a story about a seafood distributor that brought stuff to the markets.

I'm sure Jimmy Ishii/Sekisui may have sources, but they probably would not want to share them, lol...

Old 12-21-2009, 06:27 PM

I would safely say 75% of resturants in the surrounding area get there seafood from american seafood

Old 12-22-2009, 02:54 PM

Default some things fishy...

i would not necessarily disagree w/ the 901 poster; however, according to op he wants "fresh" seafood, not frozen. i am able to safely say that over 90% of american seafood's inventory has been flash frozen or freezer inventoried. as they say, "just sayin!"

Old 12-22-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
i would not necessarily disagree w/ the 901 poster; however, according to op he wants "fresh" seafood, not frozen. i am able to safely say that over 90% of american seafood's inventory has been flash frozen or freezer inventoried. as they say, "just sayin!"
From what I've been told by my freind who works there is they get 5 nightly shipments per week. I don't know how your going to get any fresher unless you go drop a hook yourself

Old 12-22-2009, 04:44 PM

if the op wishes to do fresh catches, i'll be glad to suggest some areas for fresh water fishing, otherwise i'll go w/ his original post. this is getting to resemble the story of the old man and old lady and the last word. she shouted, "shears", he shouted, "scissors", she shouted,
"shears", he shouted, "scissors!" she shouted, "shears!" he went to the barn, got some rope, tied the old lady to a chair. w/ arms bound, he threw her into the nearby pond. as she went down for the third time, he hollered "SCISSORS"! as she slipped under the water, she raised her arm with fingers working back and forth to indicate "SHEARS!" consequently, shears to you.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:52 PM

To Funny ^^^ LOL

Old 09-30-2016, 07:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,267 times
Quote:

I have been trying to find trout here and have reached the conclusion Memphis needs a good fish market! I got spoiled catching my own trout in Colorado. Is there anywhere I can find any?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis