U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 11:44 AM

2 posts, read 14,553 times

Advertisements

My family and I have been relocated to Memphis, and it has been recommended to us that we take a look at the Southwind community, on the course of TPC Southwind.

Southwind Homeowners Association » Life in Southwind

Does anyone have any info on this specific neighborhood?

We have a very large budget as far as cost of a potential home, so that is not a worry.

As for children, we have 1 boy and 1 girl, at 4 and 7 years of age.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 11:51 AM

369 posts, read 1,172,749 times
This is one of "THE" neighborhoods in the Memphis area. Alot the "who's who" lives in this community. You won't be dissappointed. Safe area and the neighborhood is gated with a security guard at each enterence. Not that you really need it but that's just how the place is.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:06 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,940,067 times
Southwind itself is a very nice area. Lots of bargains there also. 400k+ will get you a nice home

The area surrounding Southwind however has had its issues as of late with alot of robberies. I beleive its the Hickory Hill spill-over

Welcome to Memphis

Old 01-17-2010, 08:47 PM

369 posts, read 1,172,749 times
Robberies? Spill-over? Not in that area.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:18 PM

340 posts, read 1,248,512 times
The area in general has paid a bit of a price due to the Memphis annexation game. The Southwind neighborhood itself is fine, and you are pretty close to Germantown and Collierville. But the area is going to be part of Memphis sooner or later and that is a bit of a crap shoot.

I personally think the Soutwind/TPC neighborhood will stay fine. Too much money in the area and too close of proximity to Collierville and Germantown to fall into too much distress. The annexation just needs to go ahead and happen so that the uncertainty will go away and folks can move forward with a known quantity.

I would recommend private schools if you move to the area. The schools in that area (while still Shelby County) aren't great and there has been some gang type violence in the middle and high school. They aren't out of control or horrible, but if you can afford the TPC neighborhood, there are good private schools not far away that would be a better choice.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus10 View Post
Robberies? Spill-over? Not in that area.
Do a real time crime data report on 38125 and see for yourself

Old 01-17-2010, 09:42 PM

128 posts, read 437,150 times
Two of my colleagues live in the Southwind development. It's a very clean area. There is a separate card based entrance for residents. It is a true gated community because guests have to stop by a security guard before proceeding through. Both of the houses I've been to were nice. My colleagues must be happy considering they have about a 30 minute commute to work, but continue to stay there.

The area felt safe when I was driving through it, and is close to the highway.

I would definitely look into it.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:06 AM

738 posts, read 2,448,961 times
I recently met a couple that lives there, they love it. Lots of activities, book club, bunco, bible study.... AS UofM said, she confirmed, everyone sends their kids to private schools there. I would stay far away from the public schools you are zoned for there. If you need to do public schools, stick with Germantown or Collierville.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:56 PM

173 posts, read 417,749 times
If not Southwind, try Oakleigh in Germantown. Large houses (not as large as Southwind), but not gated, along Poplar Pike.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clobbersaurus01 View Post
If not Southwind, try Oakleigh in Germantown. Large houses (not as large as Southwind), but not gated, along Poplar Pike.
Oakleigh is very nice....wait a minute. Isn't that the subdivision were that doctor shot that police officer

Welcome to Memphis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis